Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Aluminium filler for cycle workstand jaws?

Hi All
I have acquired a s/hand heavy duty cycle workstand (Kestrel make,
FWIW). However it looks like some idiot has been playing with an arc welder or
similar on the aluminium jaws; in places they have deep gouges & pits etc.

I have dressed things up a bit with a file and die grinder/burr tip etc, but it
still looks a bit messy. I would like to improve the aesthetics a bit (cosmetic
improvement only; the damage is not bad enough to affect the operation).

What can the panel suggest as a decently strong visually matching filler for
Aluminium? It needs to have a bit of resilience but super strength is not really
necessary. Is J B Weld the thing?

Thanks
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2014 13:58, jkn wrote:
Hi All
I have acquired a s/hand heavy duty cycle workstand (Kestrel make,
FWIW). However it looks like some idiot has been playing with an arc welder or
similar on the aluminium jaws; in places they have deep gouges & pits etc.

I have dressed things up a bit with a file and die grinder/burr tip etc, but it
still looks a bit messy. I would like to improve the aesthetics a bit (cosmetic
improvement only; the damage is not bad enough to affect the operation).

Glue on rubber pads? That way no marring of the bike frame (a
problem[apparently] with carbon frames:most advocate clamping on the
seat post to avoid this) and pads should cover any unaesthetic aspects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi there

Glue on rubber pads? That way no marring of the bike frame (a

problem[apparently] with carbon frames:most advocate clamping on the

seat post to avoid this) and pads should cover any unaesthetic aspects.

No, I'm not talking about the bike contact area, which will as you mention
use conformant pads of some sort. These are dings and pits elsewhere on the
jaws, which is why it's mostly an aesthetic repair.

Cheers
jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/14 13:58, jkn wrote:
Hi All
I have acquired a s/hand heavy duty cycle workstand (Kestrel make,
FWIW). However it looks like some idiot has been playing with an arc welder or
similar on the aluminium jaws; in places they have deep gouges & pits etc.

I have dressed things up a bit with a file and die grinder/burr tip etc, but it
still looks a bit messy. I would like to improve the aesthetics a bit (cosmetic
improvement only; the damage is not bad enough to affect the operation).

What can the panel suggest as a decently strong visually matching filler for
Aluminium? It needs to have a bit of resilience but super strength is not really
necessary. Is J B Weld the thing?

Id get a polyester resin - car body repair type - and use actual Al
powder as a filler.

Thanks
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
Hi All
I have acquired a s/hand heavy duty cycle workstand (Kestrel make,
FWIW). However it looks like some idiot has been playing with an arc welder or
similar on the aluminium jaws; in places they have deep gouges & pits etc.

I have dressed things up a bit with a file and die grinder/burr tip etc, but it
still looks a bit messy. I would like to improve the aesthetics a bit (cosmetic
improvement only; the damage is not bad enough to affect the operation).

What can the panel suggest as a decently strong visually matching filler for
Aluminium? It needs to have a bit of resilience but super strength is not really
necessary. Is J B Weld the thing?

Thanks
Jon N

It's a workstand. Why on earth are you worried about it looking pretty?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi Tim+

On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 19:51:21 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
jkn wrote:

Hi All

I have acquired a s/hand heavy duty cycle workstand (Kestrel make,

FWIW). However it looks like some idiot has been playing with an arc welder or

similar on the aluminium jaws; in places they have deep gouges & pits etc.

I have dressed things up a bit with a file and die grinder/burr tip etc, but it

still looks a bit messy. I would like to improve the aesthetics a bit (cosmetic

improvement only; the damage is not bad enough to affect the operation).

What can the panel suggest as a decently strong visually matching filler for

Aluminium? It needs to have a bit of resilience but super strength is not really

necessary. Is J B Weld the thing?

Thanks

Jon N

It's a workstand. Why on earth are you worried about it looking pretty?

Tim

'Worried' and 'pretty' are your words, not mine.

For some things (tools, equipment), I couldn't care less about the appearance.
For this one, I would like to improve it. OK with you?

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:58:04 PM UTC+1, jkn wrote:

Hi All
I have acquired a s/hand heavy duty cycle workstand (Kestrel make,
FWIW). However it looks like some idiot has been playing with an arc welder or
similar on the aluminium jaws; in places they have deep gouges & pits etc..
I have dressed things up a bit with a file and die grinder/burr tip etc, but it
still looks a bit messy. I would like to improve the aesthetics a bit (cosmetic
improvement only; the damage is not bad enough to affect the operation).
What can the panel suggest as a decently strong visually matching filler for
Aluminium? It needs to have a bit of resilience but super strength is not really
necessary. Is J B Weld the thing?
Thanks
Jon N

Not much else looks like ali, afaik. Resin with ali flakes in included. The letter or filler plus silver paint is probably as close as it'll get. You could always spray paint or vinyl wrap the thing I suppose, if worthwhile. Vinyl stickers might work for the odd rough spot.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2014 21:38, jkn wrote:
Hi Tim+

On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 19:51:21 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

What can the panel suggest as a decently strong visually matching filler for

Aluminium? It needs to have a bit of resilience but super strength is not really

necessary. Is J B Weld the thing?

Thanks

Jon N

It's a workstand. Why on earth are you worried about it looking pretty?

Tim

'Worried' and 'pretty' are your words, not mine.

For some things (tools, equipment), I couldn't care less about the appearance.
For this one, I would like to improve it. OK with you?

Jon N

JB weld or its clones sound good to me for this; paint as required.
Can't quite visualise the problem, might use polyester if the volumes
required are greater than one tube of JB weld, just on cost grounds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 21:01:46 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 26/08/2014 21:38, jkn wrote:

[...]

Thanks this and the various other suggestions; since I see you can get Al
powder quite cheaply (and the same places sell things like magnesium ribbon,
tee hee), I may well try this + some polyester resin. As mentioned it doesn't
have to be too pretty, I just want to tidy it up a bit.

Cheers
jon N