Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anti spider spray?

We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2014 20:19, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

You would only kill the ones that are there. With an estimated one
million spiders per acre, there will be plenty of others waiting to take
their place.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:33:08 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my
surname here wrote:

You would only kill the ones that are there. With an estimated one
million spiders per acre, there will be plenty of others waiting to take
their place.

Yep, am hoping for some persistent type stuff that will deter them.
Will obviously need regular respray, but hopefully something exists
that is easier than brushing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/13/2014 08:19 PM, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Thanks.

We have used Kleeneze spray *inside* because I was fed up with fairly
big, quick sods coming in behind the brickwork fireplace in the lounge.
I haven't seen one now for at least three years - now's about the time
of year. Could be pure chance but I don't think so. We still get the odd
small one but I suspect the cat !! Whether or not it would work in a
garage, I've no idea.This one is based on peppermint oil but some use
nut oil ISTR.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Cee" wrote in message

We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Thanks.

When I had my home foundry at the bottom of my garden at the last house that
also used to fill up with webs. I found that a quick blast around the place
with the huge gas poker I used for lighting the furnace kept them at bay for
a few weeks Mine you I had built it totally from non-flammable
materials so there was no danger of fire, but the smell wasn't pleasant

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:55:45 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

When I had my home foundry at the bottom of my garden at the last house that
also used to fill up with webs. I found that a quick blast around the place
with the huge gas poker I used for lighting the furnace kept them at bay for
a few weeks Mine you I had built it totally from non-flammable
materials so there was no danger of fire, but the smell wasn't pleasant

Ahem... Have used a weed burner before - fire being my second choice
for most problems after angle-grinder. Worked well but once a trapped
leaf caught fire and made so much smoke I thought it had spread to
roof space. It hadn't, but scared pants off me.

Non flame solutiions only pls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Thanks.

Mothballs? Might be worth a try.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:19:26 PM UTC+1, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo.

I think that's the answer ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:19:26 PM UTC+1, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,

cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without

regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any

sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but

I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to

kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had

enough warnings.

Thanks.

Used Spiderex on CCTV cameras , they love the IR LEDS, needs recoating every few months

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spiderex-Aer...owViewpoints=1

Permethrin seems to be main ingredient, not cat friendly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Chesnut is a natural spider repellent
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:19:26 PM UTC+1, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,

cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without

regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any

sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but

I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to

kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had

enough warnings.

Thanks.

Budgie ?

We get plagued with spiders nests clinging to the textured bricks on the outside of the house. They are very difficult to remove. Power washing is ineffective and deck brush tedious and slow. However,every dog has its day, and most years there is no problem. Perhaps this has something to do with the life cycle of one of their natural predators. It does mean that even if you do nothing the problem may cure itself. Besides they are reputed to be fastidious and only like clean places.

Be thankful you don't live in Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU

FF to 0.40

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Thanks.

You need to man up.
Spiders hurt no-one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:19:26 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Not available as a spray but it could be an effective solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semtex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2014 15:42, The Other Mike wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:19:26 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Not available as a spray but it could be an effective solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semtex

That used to be the propellant in Baikal shotgun cartridges, which some
clubs banned for being excessively loud.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2014 20:19, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Thanks.

http://cpc.farnell.com/midas/709-006...0ml/dp/SR08417

keeps my cctv cameras free of spiders for about 4 months.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 20:19:26 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

Thanks.

Conkers. No I'm not insulting you, Horse Chestnuts have a reputation
for discouraging spiders. Autumn isn't that far away now and if you
can beat the kids to them then at least some can be gathered free and
tried out.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks chaps. The spiderex stuff gets good reviews - I'll give it
a trry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:16:51 +0100, Peter Andrews wrote:

keeps my cctv cameras free of spiders for about 4 months.

There's an hilarious review on Amazon.

--
/\/\aurice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2014 20:33, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 13/08/2014 20:19, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

You would only kill the ones that are there. With an estimated one
million spiders per acre, there will be plenty of others waiting to take
their place.

Conkers hung from a string. They hate them.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-08-15, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 13/08/2014 20:33, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 13/08/2014 20:19, Simon Cee wrote:
We have a car port on the side of the house. It's shaded,
cool, dry, sheltered from wind and spiders absolutely LOVE it. Without
regular brushing it turns into a scene from Scooby Doo. Are there any
sprays that will keep them away? Don't really bother me too much but
I've been 'persuaded' to do something about it. Don't really want to
kill the blighters, but if that's what it takes... well they've had
enough warnings.

You would only kill the ones that are there. With an estimated one
million spiders per acre, there will be plenty of others waiting to take
their place.

Conkers hung from a string. They hate them.

Urban legend, I'm afraid.

In which case why do they work in my house?

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug 2014 17:56:35 GMT, Huge wrote:

You would only kill the ones that are there. With an estimated one
million spiders per acre, there will be plenty of others waiting to take
their place.

Conkers hung from a string. They hate them.

Urban legend, I'm afraid.

Not if you wack em on the head with one.

Actually we are fairly tolerant with spiders and pick em up and throw
them out of the window, there is a large one in my shed who I tolerate
because its web catches the odd wasp who tries to move in.
ATM it seems to be stocking up for winter with a collection of
entombed Moths. If I was to pick it up I might just feel the bite
judging by last time I picked up a predecessor ,Tube Web spider I
think. Brother in law seems to find the conkers work,lives in London
so finds it easier to ask us to post him some as we have plenty a few
yards away.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 19:34:45 +0100, Peter Crosland
wrote:

Conkers hung from a string. They hate them.

Urban legend, I'm afraid.

In which case why do they work in my house?

I use them as eel scarers. Not seen an eel in my house since I put
them up.