Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default How would I wire this double light switch

I want to replace the dimmer switch with a normal one but can someone
advise me which wires go where.
The top I presume wire over to the same position and then connect the
earth to the cover. But the normal switch has 4 terminals at the bottom
for L1,L2 and L1,L2 but on the dimmer switch only 3 terminals.

Image...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps618bc147.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
I want to replace the dimmer switch with a normal one but can someone
advise me which wires go where.

Image...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps618bc147.jpg

Each switch has three terminals - normally C, L1 and L2, but the C seems
to be marked L on your new switch. You just need to move them to the
same labelled position on the new one - which may not be in the same
place physically. It's difficult to say any more without seeing the
back of the old switch - if you can't get in to take a picture, could
you post what the labels are?
You're right that you need to add an earth, as the old switch doesn't
seem to have one.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/08/2014 18:36, Mike Humphrey wrote:
ss wrote:
I want to replace the dimmer switch with a normal one but can someone
advise me which wires go where.

Image...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps618bc147.jpg

Each switch has three terminals - normally C, L1 and L2, but the C seems
to be marked L on your new switch. You just need to move them to the
same labelled position on the new one - which may not be in the same
place physically. It's difficult to say any more without seeing the
back of the old switch - if you can't get in to take a picture, could
you post what the labels are?
You're right that you need to add an earth, as the old switch doesn't
seem to have one.

Mike

Thanks Mike, just about to go out for the night but will post further
pics tomorrow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

ss wrote:
I want to replace the dimmer switch with a normal one but can someone
advise me which wires go where.

Image...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps618bc147.jpg

Each switch has three terminals - normally C, L1 and L2, but the C seems
to be marked L on your new switch. You just need to move them to the
same labelled position on the new one - which may not be in the same
place physically. It's difficult to say any more without seeing the
back of the old switch - if you can't get in to take a picture, could
you post what the labels are?
You're right that you need to add an earth, as the old switch doesn't
seem to have one.

Mike

Thanks Mike, just about to go out for the night but will post further
pics tomorrow.

This pic shows the numbers, the ? is a squigly elec symbol.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps200faf47.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

On 12/08/2014 18:55, ss wrote:

further pics tomorrow.

This pic shows the numbers, the ? is a squigly elec symbol.

To indicate it's a dimmer, as opposed to a normal switch.

first switch: you want your "1Y" wire in "C" with "1R" wire in "A"

second switch: you want your "3R" wire in "B" with "5R" wire in "E"

Your "1R to 4R" link will become an "A to B" link.

Then extend an earth with yellow/green sleeving from the screw connector
to the earth on the switch plate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/08/2014 08:54, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

On 12/08/2014 18:55, ss wrote:

further pics tomorrow.

This pic shows the numbers, the ? is a squigly elec symbol.

To indicate it's a dimmer, as opposed to a normal switch.

first switch: you want your "1Y" wire in "C" with "1R" wire in "A"

second switch: you want your "3R" wire in "B" with "5R" wire in "E"

Your "1R to 4R" link will become an "A to B" link.

Then extend an earth with yellow/green sleeving from the screw connector
to the earth on the switch plate.

Thanks very much Andy.