Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gutters overflowing

Whilst I dry off...

Semi, with a shared down pipe all new within the last few years, both
front and rear. I cleaned out our gutters earlier this week. This
afternoon, we were hit by the thunderstorms and the gutter at the rear
filled up and we had an almost wall of water down the rear of both
halves of the semi. The front was fine. I checked at the bottom where
it discharged into the drain, during the worst of it and there was some
flow, but not as much as I would have expected at the rear. The weather
was hitting the rear slightly more than the front.

Neighbour's gutter slope to the down pipe is rather excessive, put up
by 'professionals'persistent, ours was DIY and set accurately to
recommendations. I checked the pipe and it was clear, when I did the
gutter cleaning, but I will be checking it again...

Might the poor flow via the down pipe, have been due to the two heavy
flows of water clashing in the middle at the down pipe, rather than due
to any blockage?

The over- spilling gutter, completely flooded the back garden.

Just thinking aloud! Its been the heaviest and most persistant downfall
I've seen in the last 30 years.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2014 21:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Whilst I dry off...

Semi, with a shared down pipe all new within the last few years, both
front and rear. I cleaned out our gutters earlier this week. This
afternoon, we were hit by the thunderstorms and the gutter at the rear
filled up and we had an almost wall of water down the rear of both
halves of the semi. The front was fine. I checked at the bottom where it
discharged into the drain, during the worst of it and there was some
flow, but not as much as I would have expected at the rear. The weather
was hitting the rear slightly more than the front.

Do you have one of those water diverters for filling a butt by any chance?

Neighbour's gutter slope to the down pipe is rather excessive, put up by
'professionals'persistent, ours was DIY and set accurately to
recommendations. I checked the pipe and it was clear, when I did the
gutter cleaning, but I will be checking it again...

Might the poor flow via the down pipe, have been due to the two heavy
flows of water clashing in the middle at the down pipe, rather than due
to any blockage?

Might be the excess volume of water caused the excessive slope next door.

The over- spilling gutter, completely flooded the back garden.

Just thinking aloud! Its been the heaviest and most persistant downfall
I've seen in the last 30 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman explained on 08/08/2014 :
Do you have one of those water diverters for filling a butt by any chance?

No, nothing like that, just a dog-leg from gutter into the wall, then a
spout at the bottom.

Might be the excess volume of water caused the excessive slope next door.

That's what I was thinking - the clash of the two flows at the down
pipe, preventing either from being able to go down.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
The Medway Handyman explained on 08/08/2014 :
Do you have one of those water diverters for filling a butt by any
chance?

No, nothing like that, just a dog-leg from gutter into the wall, then a
spout at the bottom.

Might be the excess volume of water caused the excessive slope next door.

That's what I was thinking - the clash of the two flows at the down pipe,
preventing either from being able to go down.

AGW yer see? :-)

Guttering is not sized to meet cloudburst conditions.
It is possible your roof is too big for the gutter if this occurs in
"normal" rain.
There are bigger gutters available, the semi-circular 100mm stuff we mostly
get nowadays is just cheap to make ****e really. The big problem occurs
where there are valleys on the rood structure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well some time ago I had a new downpipe fitted near a corner where the water
always overflowed and that solved it, so often its not that things are
blocked, just that the flow is far too high before it gets to a downpipe.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]

You probably got the downpour at around 4pm (and another later at 5.30pm). I
was in Bardsey not far from you at the time. The rain caused the overflowing
of the gutters of the extension I was working on and several other
neighbours also got localised flooding.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Might the poor flow via the down

Well, it turned out to be the down pipe almost choked with moss, from
next doors uncleared gutter. All now cleaned and flushed.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
The Medway Handyman explained on 08/08/2014 :
Do you have one of those water diverters for filling a butt by any
chance?

No, nothing like that, just a dog-leg from gutter into the wall, then a
spout at the bottom.

The blockage is in the 'dog leg', which is actually called a swan neck.
Expect leaves but quite possibly a tennis ball

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Last night we had a torrential rain, and we also had a wall of water
overflowing from out deepflow guttering.
It was just the sheer amount of water which caused that as I keep my
gutters as clean and free from debris as I can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2014 15:52, Phil L wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
The Medway Handyman explained on 08/08/2014 :
Do you have one of those water diverters for filling a butt by any
chance?

No, nothing like that, just a dog-leg from gutter into the wall, then a
spout at the bottom.

The blockage is in the 'dog leg', which is actually called a swan neck.
Expect leaves but quite possibly a tennis ball

Tennis balls were specially design to block gutters, they are a perfect fit.

On one job, Dad bollocked the kids, mum reminded him that he threw it
onto the roof...

Removed tennis balls three times in two weeks at one house, little git
wouldn't do what he was told.

Once found a model plastic dinosaur blocking a downpipe.

Also found a rubber tipped arrow from a kid's archery set causing a
blockage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

How my grand daughter got a Bramley apple down the toilet remains a
mystery. She was 3 at the time IIRC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
[...]

It's usually sycamore seeds from neighbours tree that form an impervious
blockage in mine.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2014 13:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Might the poor flow via the down

Well, it turned out to be the down pipe almost choked with moss, from
next doors uncleared gutter. All now cleaned and flushed.

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out and the
first good rainfall will wash significant amounts off the roof and block
nicely cleaned out gutters and downpipes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Robert
writes
On 09/08/2014 13:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Might the poor flow via the down

Well, it turned out to be the down pipe almost choked with moss, from
next doors uncleared gutter. All now cleaned and flushed.

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out and the
first good rainfall will wash significant amounts off the roof and block
nicely cleaned out gutters and downpipes.

I've used gutter guards to keep some at-risk ones clear but that doesn't
help the o/p's position though as it is his neighbour causing the
problem.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p91940 [1]

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for the
downpipe, hopefully it will keep the pipe clear and any dam of refuse
will only block the neighbour's side.

[1] absolutely no instructions come with, the tabs fold under to provide
some sort of support on the inside of the gutter. It looks as if it wont
stay put for 2 mins but it does. Each piece interlocks with the next.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Robert writes

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out

I've certainly seen lots of dried lichen/moss that's fallen from my roof
this year.

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for the
downpipe

I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it more
likely to block, rather than less likely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
fred wrote:

Robert writes

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out

I've certainly seen lots of dried lichen/moss that's fallen from my roof
this year.

Same here, seems very noticeable so up the bl^^dy ladders again;!...

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for the
downpipe

I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it more
likely to block, rather than less likely.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/14 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:
I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it more
likely to block, rather than less likely.

+1

Only 'filter' I run with is gratings at ground level where I can easily
clean em

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
fred wrote:

Robert writes

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out

I've certainly seen lots of dried lichen/moss that's fallen from my roof
this year.

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for the
downpipe

I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it more
likely to block, rather than less likely.

I was wondering if a combination of gutter guards and colander would
safeguard the o/p's side leaving the neighbour's side to block and back
up on its own.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:
On 09/08/2014 13:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :
Might the poor flow via the down

Well, it turned out to be the down pipe almost choked with moss, from
next doors uncleared gutter. All now cleaned and flushed.

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out and the
first good rainfall will wash significant amounts off the roof and block
nicely cleaned out gutters and downpipes.

We need to go back to coal fired power stations, the sulphur content
kept the moss under control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2014 22:04, bert wrote:

It's usually sycamore seeds from neighbours tree that form an impervious
blockage in mine.

That is what does it on my gutters ... I have balloon grills to stop
them going down the downpipe ... but eventually they block the grills.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 08:51:35 +0100, Robert wrote:

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out and the
first good rainfall will wash significant amounts off the roof and block
nicely cleaned out gutters and downpipes.

So why clean the gutters before the weather breaks when you know that
they'll get blocked when it does?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2014 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:
fred wrote:

Robert writes

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out

I've certainly seen lots of dried lichen/moss that's fallen from my roof
this year.

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for the
downpipe

I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it more
likely to block, rather than less likely.

Thats also my experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 11/08/2014 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:
fred wrote:

Robert writes

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out

I've certainly seen lots of dried lichen/moss that's fallen from my roof
this year.

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for the
downpipe

I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it more
likely to block, rather than less likely.

Thats also my experience.

true, but much easier to clear when the rubbish in in the gutter rather
than at an unknown point in the downpipe.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/14 18:23, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 11/08/2014 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:
fred wrote:

Robert writes

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out

I've certainly seen lots of dried lichen/moss that's fallen from my roof
this year.

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for the
downpipe

I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it more
likely to block, rather than less likely.

Thats also my experience.

true, but much easier to clear when the rubbish in in the gutter rather
than at an unknown point in the downpipe.

My rubbish end up in the grate at the bottom

Clearing pipe is easy. Push hose up it and flush

Clearing gutters is the hard part.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 11/08/2014 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:
fred wrote:

Robert writes

I'd blame the good weather, it seems to dry roof moss right out

I've certainly seen lots of dried lichen/moss that's fallen from my
roof this year.

I was going to suggest one of those inverted colander type caps for
the downpipe

I had fitted them to my downpipes, but found they made they made it
more likely to block, rather than less likely.

Thats also my experience.

true, but much easier to clear when the rubbish in in the gutter rather
than at an unknown point in the downpipe.

My rubbish end up in the grate at the bottom

Clearing pipe is easy. Push hose up it and flush

But, when the builder has cemented the pipe into the concrete path and the
connection to the drain is not accessible?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Semi with separate gutters, neighbour asking to join gutters David Hearn[_2_] UK diy 24 March 2nd 14 03:14 PM
Rivers overflowing john UK diy 23 November 15th 05 09:42 AM
Another toilet overflowing. Simon Elliott UK diy 15 November 9th 05 10:27 PM
overflowing toilet John Smith Home Repair 9 August 24th 05 06:58 PM
constinuous overflowing shree UK diy 3 February 20th 05 01:29 PM