Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painting metal railings

Over the years I have used Hammerite to paint the railing around our balcony
but it seems to last just 3 or 4 years.
Does anyone know of a metal paint that is more durable than Hammerite?
Thank you

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2014 18:46, Stewart wrote:
Over the years I have used Hammerite to paint the railing around our
balcony but it seems to last just 3 or 4 years.
Does anyone know of a metal paint that is more durable than Hammerite?

Steel boats use a two-part epoxy coating. No idea how easy it would be
to apply to railings though.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
Steel boats use a two-part epoxy coating. No idea how easy it would be
to apply to railings though.

I've said before that I've used Jotun 2 part epoxy paint on all sorts of
things, including the insides of steel vases and often on parts of
trailers, so I think railings would be fine if they were reasonably
clean to start with.

I think colours were only grey and white. The industrial suppliers who
supply that paint were a complete disaster with working the colour
matching machine for the top non-epoxy coat.

I mix in a throwaway kitchen measuring jug. The last cheap ones came
from Wilkinsons, who were cheaper than Poundland at the time.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill, part of my problem is that there are whorls where the thinner iron
members meet the horizontals so there is somewhat limited room and virtually
none at all at the junction.
I expect to be painting both on metal that has been wire brushed and on
clean (rubbed down) old paint.
My colour has always been black.
Thanks both.

"Bill" wrote in message ...

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
Steel boats use a two-part epoxy coating. No idea how easy it would be to
apply to railings though.

I've said before that I've used Jotun 2 part epoxy paint on all sorts of
things, including the insides of steel vases and often on parts of
trailers, so I think railings would be fine if they were reasonably
clean to start with.

I think colours were only grey and white. The industrial suppliers who
supply that paint were a complete disaster with working the colour
matching machine for the top non-epoxy coat.

I mix in a throwaway kitchen measuring jug. The last cheap ones came
from Wilkinsons, who were cheaper than Poundland at the time.

--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stewart
writes
Bill, part of my problem is that there are whorls where the thinner
iron members meet the horizontals so there is somewhat limited room and
virtually none at all at the junction.
I expect to be painting both on metal that has been wire brushed and on
clean (rubbed down) old paint.
My colour has always been black.
Thanks both.

The Jotun paint that I have used was from the Penguard ranges, and once
mixed, it is just like any other paint to apply. It dries in a few
hours, but takes several days to cure.
I buy it from a local engineer's suppliers in 4 + 1 litre containers and
the price is competitive with "normal" paint. Main agents seem to be
from the yachting market and may price appropriately :-(
The Jotun websites have masses of pdf information about surface
preparation and what you can paint over, but I just slop it on.

I have no connection except as a user. My history with this paint is
that 30years ago I bought epoxy paint for the boat (epoxy coated ply) I
was building. That paint was made in Liverpool. It was sold as paint for
operating theatres, food preparation surfaces and general use. I was
told the "primer" was fine as the final surface coating. Amongst other
things, I painted the bilges with it and it is still going strong there.
When I tried to buy more, the manufacturer had disappeared, but the wife
volunteered at the local hospital and became friendly with someone whose
husband had worked as a chemist at the firm in Liverpool. It was he who
told me that the company and technology had been bought by Jotun.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think from what I used to do, the trick is to make sure they are clean in
all the nooks and crannies and neutralise any corrosion before you paint it
with anything.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Stewart" wrote in message
Over the years I have used Hammerite to paint the railing around our
balcony but it seems to last just 3 or 4 years.
Does anyone know of a metal paint that is more durable than Hammerite?
Thank you

---
protection is active.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all, will start the job after this spell of poor weather has passed.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

I think from what I used to do, the trick is to make sure they are clean in
all the nooks and crannies and neutralise any corrosion before you paint it
with anything.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Stewart" wrote in message
Over the years I have used Hammerite to paint the railing around our
balcony but it seems to last just 3 or 4 years.
Does anyone know of a metal paint that is more durable than Hammerite?
Thank you

---
protection is active.

---

Metal railings Jon Connell[_2_] UK diy 13 October 21st 13 08:55 AM
Painting outside railings ss UK diy 2 August 23rd 13 06:10 PM
Want advice on painting railings Nozza UK diy 6 March 27th 08 06:15 PM
Painting Railings John UK diy 7 June 25th 05 09:43 PM
Metal Railings - what to paint them with? AK UK diy 12 August 8th 04 02:58 PM