Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stainless splashback behind induction hob

That's not a problem, is it? Sanity check really... Not sure how
ferro-magnetic the steel is (did not have a magnet to hand).

The steel is covering the wall about 30-40mm behind the back edge of the
hob. Nothing mentioned in the hob manual.

Just wondered about parasitic heating from stray fields?

My theorising says "probably not" as the field is only present when a
suitably heavy ferrous pan is in place and the field should be mostly
contained by the iron in the pan.

I presume it is possible to get accidental heating under some conditions
- eg placing a cast iron trivit too close to a cooking area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 06/08/2014 13:02, Tim Watts wrote:
That's not a problem, is it? Sanity check really... Not sure how
ferro-magnetic the steel is (did not have a magnet to hand).

The steel is covering the wall about 30-40mm behind the back edge of the
hob. Nothing mentioned in the hob manual.

Just wondered about parasitic heating from stray fields?

My theorising says "probably not" as the field is only present when a
suitably heavy ferrous pan is in place and the field should be mostly
contained by the iron in the pan.

I presume it is possible to get accidental heating under some conditions
- eg placing a cast iron trivit too close to a cooking area.

We have a SS splashback behind our induction hob, can't say we've ever
noticed it being a problem.
Other than SWMBO scratching it with pan handles and spoons, but that's a
different story

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/14 17:27, Lee wrote:
On 06/08/2014 13:02, Tim Watts wrote:
That's not a problem, is it? Sanity check really... Not sure how
ferro-magnetic the steel is (did not have a magnet to hand).

The steel is covering the wall about 30-40mm behind the back edge of the
hob. Nothing mentioned in the hob manual.

Just wondered about parasitic heating from stray fields?

My theorising says "probably not" as the field is only present when a
suitably heavy ferrous pan is in place and the field should be mostly
contained by the iron in the pan.

I presume it is possible to get accidental heating under some conditions
- eg placing a cast iron trivit too close to a cooking area.

We have a SS splashback behind our induction hob, can't say we've ever
noticed it being a problem.
Other than SWMBO scratching it with pan handles and spoons, but that's a
different story

Thank you all - just the random stuff I think about because I'm me :-o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Love your browser comment. It rife now. Even Google and Yahoo are at it.
Brian

Email:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

That's not a problem, is it? Sanity check really... Not sure how
ferro-magnetic the steel is (did not have a magnet to hand).

The steel is covering the wall about 30-40mm behind the back edge of the
hob. Nothing mentioned in the hob manual.

Just wondered about parasitic heating from stray fields?

My theorising says "probably not" as the field is only present when a
suitably heavy ferrous pan is in place and the field should be mostly
contained by the iron in the pan.

To the extent that the presence or absence of the pan controls the
logic that turns the field on, yes. And the field will prefer being
inside the pan base. Additionally, the field weakens as the inverse
cube so it drops off pretty quickly away from the coil.

Stainless Splashback...Perfect cleaner found! Nthkentman[_2_] UK diy 30 July 31st 13 12:17 PM
Stainless splashback Vass UK diy 4 March 22nd 07 04:34 PM
opinions on fixing a stainless steel splashback . UK diy 2 November 11th 05 05:15 PM
How to fix stainless steel splashback? Dave UK diy 3 August 24th 05 12:01 PM
should stainless steel cooker splashback be earthed? [email protected] UK diy 3 March 14th 05 10:59 PM