Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weather - jet stream chart

I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck website which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to another.

Interestingly they show this chart

http://www.metcheck.com/uk/jetstream.asp

but although they give units for the colours on the chart it doesn't say what the units are. Can anyone here interpret this chart for me please - it does seem that 'red' is bad !?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it not simply as stated:-

" About this page

You probably hear a lot about the Jet Stream in the news. It's either too far North or too far South. The jet stream is identified as winds at 300mb (during Winter) and 200mb (during Summer). It is these winds which are responsible for driving and developing weather systems across the Atlantic.

The images are updated twice a day at 6.10am and 6.10pm (BST) and take approx 20 mins to complete."

????

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/14 09:14, robgraham wrote:
I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck website which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to another.

Interestingly they show this chart

http://www.metcheck.com/uk/jetstream.asp

but although they give units for the colours on the chart it doesn't say what the units are. Can anyone here interpret this chart for me please - it does seem that 'red' is bad !?

Thanks

I prefer this one

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream
The colors would seem to be pressure differential - i.e. in real terms
wind speeds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 09:40:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I prefer this one

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream
The colors would seem to be pressure differential - i.e. in real terms
wind speeds

The isobars on that chart are surface level isobars, the colours represent wind
speed in mph of the jetstream at a defined pressure altitude (usually 300mb or
around 30000ft)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 01:14:06 -0700 (PDT), robgraham
wrote:

I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck website which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to another.

Interestingly they show this chart

http://www.metcheck.com/uk/jetstream.asp

but although they give units for the colours on the chart it doesn't say what the units are. Can anyone here interpret this chart for me please - it does seem that 'red' is bad !?

Just a higher windspeed, measured in mph at around 30000 ft

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
robgraham writes
I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck
website which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to
another.

Interestingly they show this chart

http://www.metcheck.com/uk/jetstream.asp

but although they give units for the colours on the chart it doesn't
say what the units are. Can anyone here interpret this chart for me
please - it does seem that 'red' is bad !?

Thanks

"The faster the jet, the more intense the red colouring."
From help & Info section - scroll down a way.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When did Millibarrs get to be hecto Pascalls?
Brian

Email:

On 06/08/14 09:14, robgraham wrote:
I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck website
which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to another.

Interestingly they show this chart

http://www.metcheck.com/uk/jetstream.asp

but although they give units for the colours on the chart it doesn't say
what the units are. Can anyone here interpret this chart for me please -
it does seem that 'red' is bad !?

Thanks

I prefer this one

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream
The colors would seem to be pressure differential - i.e. in real terms
wind speeds

--
Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the rare
story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , bert ]
wrote:

"The faster the jet, the more intense the red colouring."
From help & Info section - scroll down a way.

Hence, the Red Arrows.
[sorry]
J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ],
Another John writes
In article , bert ]
wrote:

"The faster the jet, the more intense the red colouring."
From help & Info section - scroll down a way.

Hence, the Red Arrows.
[sorry]
J.

LOL
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2014 17:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
When did Millibarrs get to be hecto Pascalls?
Brian

When the European Met men got involved

http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...-And-Millibars

"Following the adoption of the Pascal as the SI unit of pressure,
meteorologists chose the hectopascal as the international unit for
measuring atmospheric pressure. (1 hPa = 100 Pascals = 1 mb.) The
millibar is still often used in weather reports and forecasts for the
public, but the term hectopascal is increasingly being used, especially
on the Continent in general and France, in particular. After all, Pascal
was a Frenchman!"

I suspect it was close to when June 01 became the first day of summer :-)

--
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2014 09:14, robgraham wrote:
I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck website which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to another.

Interestingly they show this chart

http://www.metcheck.com/uk/jetstream.asp

but although they give units for the colours on the chart it doesn't say what the units are. Can anyone here interpret this chart for me please - it does seem that 'red' is bad !?

Thanks

On the subject of the jet-stream I have just been reading that the storm
coming this weekend will "move the jet-stream"

"They said Bertha, which has moved from a hurricane to a tropical storm,
threatens to knock the jet stream out of position, affecting Britain’s
weather for weeks."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...-rain-in-hours

However last winters conveyor belt of storms took an unusual track
because of the unusual position of the jet-stream.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26050452

"Variations in the jet stream - such as curvature or changes in speed -
can drive the development of storms. The faster the jet stream, the
greater force behind these variations - and that's meant a conveyor belt
of storms coming to the UK."

So I am left asking do storm tracks fix the position the jet-stream or
does the jet-stream fix the position the storm tracks?

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 13:08:55 +0100, news wrote:

snip

So I am left asking do storm tracks fix the position the jet-stream or
does the jet-stream fix the position the storm tracks?

I fear you may find the answer is Yes

Avpx

--
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
(a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 August 2014 13:12:05 UTC+1, The Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 13:08:55 +0100, news wrote:

So I am left asking do storm tracks fix the position the jet-stream or
does the jet-stream fix the position the storm tracks?

I fear you may find the answer is Yes

I think the answer is actually
"basically Yes, but actually it's more complicated than that"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 17:34:23 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

When did Millibarrs get to be hecto Pascalls?

Here, not outside professional meteorological use. To my knowledge they have
been using hPa for at least 25 years in public weather forecasts in Australia,
maybe even longer.

edging for pond/stream John UK diy 8 May 31st 11 08:28 PM
Artificial Stream John UK diy 2 May 8th 09 01:52 AM
Download Weather Toolbar - Instant weather reports, forecasts, and make me friend Electronics Repair 0 February 17th 08 11:44 AM
GFI down stream from a GFI Tom H Home Repair 4 December 8th 06 06:52 PM
Stream redirection CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert Home Repair 4 June 17th 05 10:16 PM