Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC Cleaner

My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a
bit grimey and dull.

What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness. I guess I
should avoid anything mildly abrasive like Cif Cream.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a
bit grimey and dull.

What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness. I guess I
should avoid anything mildly abrasive like Cif Cream.

You should buy speacial cleaner.
They sell it at the sheds and at glazing shops.
Ordinary detergents can make the glazing seals go hard.

The problem is that the uPVC is quite porous & the muck/algy gets in the
holes.
It needs to be waxed after cleaning to seal the tiny holes.
The orginal wax finish is eventually degraded by sunlight & has to be redone
now & then.

Very tedious job to do it right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've used Screwfix's No Nonsense uPVC Cleaner with decent results:
http://tinyurl.com/pzdtth7

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/14 16:34, DerbyBorn wrote:
My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a
bit grimey and dull.

What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness. I guess I
should avoid anything mildly abrasive like Cif Cream.

On the contrary, T-cut or equivalent is exactly what you need to bring
gloss back to plastics

Halfords is your friend here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a
bit grimey and dull.

What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness.

Bond-It solvent PVCu cleaner gave good results on green tinged grime on
my fascia boards ... toolsatan do an equivalent, but I've not used that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a
bit grimey and dull.

What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness. I guess I
should avoid anything mildly abrasive like Cif Cream.

Ever build upvc cleaner is what most of the upvc fitters use, along with
most builders etc.
About a fiver a litre, which will easily do all the frames inside and out of
an average 3 bed semi

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2014 17:29, harryagain wrote:
It needs to be waxed after cleaning to seal the tiny holes.
The orginal wax finish is eventually degraded by sunlight & has to be redone
now & then.

What sort of wax? Why is it so tedious? How often does it need to be
re-done?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 29/07/2014 17:29, harryagain wrote:
It needs to be waxed after cleaning to seal the tiny holes.
The orginal wax finish is eventually degraded by sunlight & has to be
redone
now & then.

What sort of wax? Why is it so tedious? How often does it need to be
re-done?

A silcon wax is most UV resistant.
It's tedious because you have to take care to keep it off the glass as it
shows streaky.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8618029_clean-upvc.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 15:34:35 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a
bit grimey and dull.

What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness. I guess I
should avoid anything mildly abrasive like Cif Cream.

Sandtex do one. There are others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:34:35 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a
bit grimey and dull.
What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness. I guess I
should avoid anything mildly abrasive like Cif Cream.

Cream cleaner works.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Another John wrote:

... Someone
here mentioned the Everbuild stuff, which looks cheap enough, thus
fulfilling two aims: purpose-made 'stuff', but not ludicrously expensive.

An addendum from me: "not ludicrously expensive" only if you buy
online, apparently.
I went into my local Jewson's this afternoon: they have exactly the same
1lt bottle of Everbuild Solvent uPVC cleaner as sold by
www.sealantsandtoolsdirect (for example). Price at the latter: £3.95
plus carriage. Price at Jewsons: £8.85 off the shelf. !!

John