Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Somewhat OT - Broadband Specification

Hi all

Yes we're back in Hull with Kingston Communications broadband offerings.

I have taken up the service of KC Lightstream which is essentially a
fibre based broadband offering.
I say "fibre based" because in our locality, this is fibre to the
cabinet rather than fibre to the home, so the last 300m (in my case) is
the existing copper phone line.

Their avertising web literature (under FAQs) states:

"Where we’re installing Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC), or Fibre To The
Basement (FTTB) in the case of blocks of flats, we’ll provide guaranteed
speeds of between 40Mbps and 80Mbps – still lightning fast, but the
speeds will vary from property to property because the final part of the
connection is delivered using copper cables."

My interpretation of this statement was that each property will receive
a broadband service with an individual speed guaranteed based on
measurement by the install guy - this speed falling between 40 and 80
Mbps. The install guy did measure the line speed and quoted 2 figures
(IIRC) 79Mbps and 119Mbps - not sure what each meant and he didn't
explain clearly. Anyone know the significance of the two values?

Their interpretation is that they simply guarantee that the service will
fall somewhere between those limits, which clearly allows the service to
be variable.

So I am currently paying for the 75Mbps service with no guarantee that I
will actually be receiving anything over 40Mbps. To be honest, the
speed is fine and the reason for choosing this service was for the 700Gb
download as much as the speed, but I don't think that's relevant here.

How do others read the FAQ statement above please?

Phil