Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Headboard with adjustable backrest?

Been racking my tiny brain for a while over this.
I want to make a rectangular, plywood, double bed headboard.This with
two top hinged upholstered panels, each of which pulls out
independently at the bottom to form an angled back rest for either
party.

Working out how to set and lock the angle without (or even with)
mechanical gubbins protruding and breaking up the comfy simplicity is
beyond me.

I've almost decided just to manually whack a pillow in behind the
bottom of the backrest to set the angle but was looking for something
a little more mechanical. Any suggestions?
--

Regards,

Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

My wife uses a triangular pillow which lives on the floor when she is
not reading.

It seems obligatory that any makeover programme has to leave a
bed piled high with cushions of assorted sizes, however small the
room. Where do they go at night?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/14 17:22, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

My wife uses a triangular pillow which lives on the floor when she is
not reading.

It seems obligatory that any makeover programme has to leave a
bed piled high with cushions of assorted sizes, however small the
room. Where do they go at night?

since they all give me asthma they are flung as far away as possible.

Like bad pennies, they always return

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:22:39 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

My wife uses a triangular pillow which lives on the floor when she is
not reading.

It seems obligatory that any makeover programme has to leave a
bed piled high with cushions of assorted sizes, however small the
room. Where do they go at night?

Chris

Down with the dandruff and cat fluff I guess.
--

Regards,

Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:53:30 +0100, Mike Barnes

Been racking my tiny brain for a while over this.
I want to make a rectangular, plywood, double bed headboard.This with
two top hinged upholstered panels, each of which pulls out
independently at the bottom to form an angled back rest for either
party.

Working out how to set and lock the angle without (or even with)
mechanical gubbins protruding and breaking up the comfy simplicity is
beyond me.

I've almost decided just to manually whack a pillow in behind the
bottom of the backrest to set the angle but was looking for something
a little more mechanical. Any suggestions?

If there's enough room you could put the bed a few inches from the wall
and tilt (half of) the headboard backwards. That should be much easier,
mechanically.

Yes that's a sturdy sounding option.

Referring back to the thread concerning the dampness of the stone
windbreak I live in, it's going to be a heavily curtained four poster,
built on the basis that we won't be able to seasonally hightail it to
southern Spain or Portugal indefinitely. So all variations and other
activities will need to take place well within the heavy curtain
screening.
--

Regards,

Mike Halmarack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:37:13 +0100, Jabba wrote:

scribbled...

Been racking my tiny brain for a while over this.
I want to make a rectangular, plywood, double bed headboard.This with
two top hinged upholstered panels, each of which pulls out
independently at the bottom to form an angled back rest for either
party.

Working out how to set and lock the angle without (or even with)
mechanical gubbins protruding and breaking up the comfy simplicity is
beyond me.

I've almost decided just to manually whack a pillow in behind the
bottom of the backrest to set the angle but was looking for something
a little more mechanical. Any suggestions?

One of them cases where it would probably pay to buy one.

http://www.welcomemobility.co.uk/Dep...ed-Wedges-and-
Backrests.aspx

My current psychological disposition means that I need to spend all my
dosh on wine and sun seeking. Anyway, my wife gets a buzz out of
locating the tool I've been looking for hours, to do a 5 minute job.
--

Regards,

Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:45:55 +0100, Bob Minchin

Been racking my tiny brain for a while over this.
I want to make a rectangular, plywood, double bed headboard.This with
two top hinged upholstered panels, each of which pulls out
independently at the bottom to form an angled back rest for either
party.

Working out how to set and lock the angle without (or even with)
mechanical gubbins protruding and breaking up the comfy simplicity is
beyond me.

I've almost decided just to manually whack a pillow in behind the
bottom of the backrest to set the angle but was looking for something
a little more mechanical. Any suggestions?
--

Regards,

Mike Halmarack

Something based on a traditional deck chair type mechanism perhaps?

That's a lot like my hazy perception of what S Viemeister wrote and
it seems like a solution.
--

Regards,

Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

My wife uses a triangular pillow which lives on the floor when she is
not reading.

It seems obligatory that any makeover programme has to leave a
bed piled high with cushions of assorted sizes, however small the
room. Where do they go at night?

As part of my job I occasionally end staying in some posh hotel rooms.

8 pillows on a bed. Crazy.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:51:23 +0100, Jabba wrote:

scribbled...

My current psychological disposition means that I need to spend all my
dosh on wine and sun seeking. Anyway, my wife gets a buzz out of
locating the tool I've been looking for hours, to do a 5 minute job.

Okay, so that's your sex life sorted...

There but for chemistry.
--

Regards,

Mike Halmarack

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:

My wife uses a triangular pillow which lives on the floor when she is
not reading.

It seems obligatory that any makeover programme has to leave a
bed piled high with cushions of assorted sizes, however small the
room. Where do they go at night?

The makeover programmes only have one bed and 8 pillows. The bed and the
pillows are moved about between the finished bedroom shots.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 17:37, Jabba wrote:
scribbled...

Been racking my tiny brain for a while over this.
I want to make a rectangular, plywood, double bed headboard.This with
two top hinged upholstered panels, each of which pulls out
independently at the bottom to form an angled back rest for either
party.

Working out how to set and lock the angle without (or even with)
mechanical gubbins protruding and breaking up the comfy simplicity is
beyond me.

I've almost decided just to manually whack a pillow in behind the
bottom of the backrest to set the angle but was looking for something
a little more mechanical. Any suggestions?

One of them cases where it would probably pay to buy one.

http://www.welcomemobility.co.uk/Dep...ed-Wedges-and-
Backrests.aspx

Useful link, but they all look a bit "institutional". The merit of the
foldout proposal is that they are invisible until deployed. Especially
if one was planning to *make* the headboard anyway, to match other decor.

My wife has been grumbling about the headboard of the current bed
anyway, so I think I might have a project here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

No reason why you can't make your own copy of one of those you like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Old hospital beds (going back to the 50's, before all these fancy electrical types in modern hospitals) had a hinged section which was swung forward and then had a pull out section at the base of it which could be extended to produce the desired angle. This simply rested on the mattress. These beds were of tubular construction and so was the movable backrest with the extending part simply held in situation by the equivalent of a couple of wing nuts. I am sure something in plywood could be fabricated that used the same principle.

Richard

Making a headboard Mo UK diy 13 January 9th 11 10:47 PM
Bookcase headboard [email protected] Home Repair 11 July 14th 08 04:26 PM
Adjustable Bed Mattress Find a Sale on Adjustable Bed Mattresses [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 23rd 08 02:56 AM
CUSTOM HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 1 August 29th 05 05:41 AM
MISSION HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 0 August 28th 05 01:57 AM