Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unsolicited calls - fight back

I don't know if this idea might have any mileage, but....

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID. If they do,
I always ring them back on the chance it might have been a genuine call
from someone I might have needed to speak to anyway.

If it proves to be one of 'those' calls I always have something nasty
to say to them, some don't answer and leave you listening to music. The
point is, ringing them back I assume blocks lines up?

Might it be worth someone setting up a web site with these numbers and
then we ring them, keep on ringing and block their lines as they do to
us?

The telecom industry has done nothing, the UK government seems
tooth-less to do anything, but the technology is there and able to do
something given enough wish to do something about it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield scribbled...

I don't know if this idea might have any mileage, but....

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID. If they do,
I always ring them back on the chance it might have been a genuine call
from someone I might have needed to speak to anyway.

Give over. That's what answer machines & 1571 are for. You can also put
unknown numbers into goggle and see what that comes up with.

If it proves to be one of 'those' calls I always have something nasty
to say to them, some don't answer and leave you listening to music. The
point is, ringing them back I assume blocks lines up?

Might it be worth someone setting up a web site with these numbers and
then we ring them, keep on ringing and block their lines as they do to
us?

The telecom industry has done nothing, the UK government seems
tooth-less to do anything, but the technology is there and able to do
something given enough wish to do something about it.

And whilst you're ****ing around, how many calls are you missing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote :
[...]

None, we have several other phones.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 July 2014 13:34:19 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I don't know if this idea might have any mileage, but....

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID. If they do,

I always ring them back on the chance it might have been a genuine call

from someone I might have needed to speak to anyway.

If it proves to be one of 'those' calls I always have something nasty

to say to them, some don't answer and leave you listening to music. The

point is, ringing them back I assume blocks lines up?

Might it be worth someone setting up a web site with these numbers and

then we ring them, keep on ringing and block their lines as they do to

us?

The telecom industry has done nothing, the UK government seems

tooth-less to do anything, but the technology is there and able to do

something given enough wish to do something about it.

dere ain't nobody got no time for dat ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote :
[...]

Just like the spammers !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2014 14:08, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jabba wrote :
[...]

Maybe, but do you have a number of lines, and call forwarding to others
if your main line is in use?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson formulated on Monday :
Jabba wrote :
[...]

Unnecessary, those who need to know alternative numbers, know the
numbers.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I don't know if this idea might have any mileage, but....

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID. If they do, I
always ring them back on the chance it might have been a genuine call from
someone I might have needed to speak to anyway.

If it proves to be one of 'those' calls I always have something nasty to
say to them, some don't answer and leave you listening to music. The point
is, ringing them back I assume blocks lines up?

Might it be worth someone setting up a web site with these numbers and
then we ring them, keep on ringing and block their lines as they do to us?

The telecom industry has done nothing, the UK government seems tooth-less
to do anything, but the technology is there and able to do something given
enough wish to do something about it.

If you know the number to ring them back on, you know which number to
report to TPS because you've registered with them already of course.

I mostly get calls trying to flog me some energy efficient something. I just
say I rent, although this isn't so.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark submitted this idea :
[...]

We are registered on all mobiles and LL, but we all know the TPS is
worse than useless.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
We are registered on all mobiles and LL, but we all know the TPS is
worse than useless.

I've played a bit with tracking down these people. I think some of the
"phone numbers" are faked somehow, and don't exist. Certainly, the same
recorded messages have come from Manchester, Liverpool, Leicester and
other places over a few days.

I suspect some of the genuine ones are actually one person, one line in
temporary offices. I had 2 calls from the same woman (or 2 women with
very similar voices and the same script) flogging something like "Call
Prevention Service". I reported the first to the TPS and traced the
company to a rented room in Bournemouth. A few weeks later she called
again and this time the same company was trading from a different
office, also in Bournemouth.

What I need is someone in Bournemouth with a 1MW amplifier and a Dire
Straits CD to play outside her office.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes

What I need is someone in Bournemouth with a 1MW amplifier and a Dire
Straits CD to play outside her office.

What's wrong with Dire Straits??

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

If you know the number to ring them back on, you know which number to
report to TPS because you've registered with them already of course.

I mostly get calls trying to flog me some energy efficient something. I just
say I rent, although this isn't so.

I've just had a call from an outfit who, for a consideration,
claim to "Stop These Calls"

"... our service is so effective, because we contact data
providers specifically and get them to stop selling your
information ..." Good luck with that.

I was unconvinced. They were unable to see the irony in having
cold-called me.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am 21.07.2014 15:20, schrieb Anita Palley:

dere ain't nobody got no time for dat ****

Excuse me for going OT and posting youtube-links, but your words
reminded me of that clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7UgAprdpM

I like it. YMMV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon scribbled...

mark wrote:

If you know the number to ring them back on, you know which number to
report to TPS because you've registered with them already of course.

I mostly get calls trying to flog me some energy efficient something. I just
say I rent, although this isn't so.

I've just had a call from an outfit who, for a consideration,
claim to "Stop These Calls"

"... our service is so effective, because we contact data
providers specifically and get them to stop selling your
information ..." Good luck with that.

I was unconvinced. They were unable to see the irony in having
cold-called me.

Not that **** Nev from Swansea was it ?

http://www.savebritainmoney.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jabba wrote:

Chris J Dixon scribbled...

I've just had a call from an outfit who, for a consideration,
claim to "Stop These Calls"

"... our service is so effective, because we contact data
providers specifically and get them to stop selling your
information ..." Good luck with that.

I was unconvinced. They were unable to see the irony in having
cold-called me.

Not that **** Nev from Swansea was it ?

http://www.savebritainmoney.co.uk/

No, the clue was in my post

http://www.stopthesecalls.co.uk/

So I registered a complaint here

http://www.stopthesecalls.co.uk/register-a-complaint/

I half expected:

Error: circular reference. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon scribbled...

Jabba wrote:

Chris J Dixon scribbled...

I've just had a call from an outfit who, for a consideration,
claim to "Stop These Calls"

"... our service is so effective, because we contact data
providers specifically and get them to stop selling your
information ..." Good luck with that.

I was unconvinced. They were unable to see the irony in having
cold-called me.

Not that **** Nev from Swansea was it ?

http://www.savebritainmoney.co.uk/

No, the clue was in my post

It wasn't Nev - it was one of his staff who got the boot

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co...blocking-cold-
callers/story-21091452-detail/story.html

http://tinyurl.com/oez989g

and this place - also in Swansea

http://www.callpreventionregistry.co.uk/

http://www.stopthesecalls.co.uk/

So I registered a complaint here

http://www.stopthesecalls.co.uk/register-a-complaint/

I half expected:

Error: circular reference. ;-)

You could try putting each others info in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2014 15:42, mark wrote:
[...]

I had one attempting to sound all official and government like this
morning... basically trying to offer a "free survey" that would let me
order a solar PV system from them... I had some time to spare so engaged
her in some conversation - got them to clarify they are a private
company. Was all going swimmingly until she tried to book the
appointment with the "energy assessors" who just happened to be in my
area tomorrow. "Would 10:30 be ok" "na, don't think so". She asked why,
so I told her. Did not seem best pleased with the answer (which included
a reference to wasting her time so she was not out scamming others!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/14 19:15, John Rumm wrote:

I had one attempting to sound all official and government like this
morning... basically trying to offer a "free survey" that would let me
order a solar PV system from them...

Air source heat pumps are the next bit of nonsense that you can expect -
seems there are some grants kicking about...

I had some time to spare so engaged
her in some conversation - got them to clarify they are a private
company. Was all going swimmingly until she tried to book the
appointment with the "energy assessors" who just happened to be in my
area tomorrow. "Would 10:30 be ok" "na, don't think so". She asked why,
so I told her. Did not seem best pleased with the answer (which included
a reference to wasting her time so she was not out scamming others!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Bill
writes

What I need is someone in Bournemouth with a 1MW amplifier and a Dire
Straits CD to play outside her office.

What's wrong with Dire Straits??

Nothing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ven-Belgian-to
wn-DJ-playing-Dire-Straits-blast.html
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb scribbled...

In message , Bill
writes

What I need is someone in Bournemouth with a 1MW amplifier and a Dire
Straits CD to play outside her office.

What's wrong with Dire Straits??

When the wind is in the right direction, I can hear their old drummer
practicing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote

I don't know if this idea might have any mileage, but....

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID. If they do,
I always ring them back on the chance it might have been a genuine
call from someone I might have needed to speak to anyway.

If it proves to be one of 'those' calls I always have something nasty
to say to them, some don't answer and leave you listening to music.
The point is, ringing them back I assume blocks lines up?

No it doesn't. Hardly any of them call using POTS lines.

Might it be worth someone setting up a web site
with these numbers and then we ring them, keep
on ringing and block their lines as they do to us?

It wont block their lines and will just waste your money.

The telecom industry has done nothing, the UK
government seems tooth-less to do anything,

Most jurisdictions do have a do not call
register and that is better than nothing.

but the technology is there and able to do something

Fraid not.

Even white list systems that only ring the phone
when it's a number you know have real downsides.
I have got quite a few calls with the calling number
display suppressed that I am glad I answered.

given enough wish to do something about it.

If there was an easy fix, we would have found it by now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 21, 2014 11:40:37 PM UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote

[...]

A different ringtone for unknown origin calls would help

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Not really. You would still have to decide whether to answer the call or
not.

That happens now with calls that don't present their caller id.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
[...]

Which is more or less how I've set up my gigaset. Plays standard ring
for "unknown", plays a tune for any number in the memory
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 13:34:19 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID.

Had a silent call a couple of days ago and 1471 said the number
was 000 0800 138 9084 which looks like a made up number
to fool the unwary. ICBA to ring it!

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/14 18:07, The Other John wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 13:34:19 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID.

Had a silent call a couple of days ago and 1471 said the number
was 000 0800 138 9084 which looks like a made up number
to fool the unwary. ICBA to ring it!

yyyyyy is a local number
0-xxxx yyyyyy is a national number
00-zz xxxx yyyyyy is an international number.

ergo it was aliens calling from another planet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

**** - and I missed them.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:07:19 GMT, The Other John
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 13:34:19 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID.

Had a silent call a couple of days ago and 1471 said the number
was 000 0800 138 9084 which looks like a made up number
to fool the unwary. ICBA to ring it!

Three more than 11 digits. If you Google for the last 11, plenty of
people have had calls from that number.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:31:57 +0100, Dave W wrote:

Three more than 11 digits. If you Google for the last 11, plenty of
people have had calls from that number.

Surely with international codes added you get more than 11 digits
don't you? Had another one today which was allegedly from
001 210 249 0540 which indicates US origin doesn't it?

--

TOJ.