Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rigid plastic conduit.

I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the bends
are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape through as
there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary to undo
the cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder with a
finger. The last lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly. Why
can't people get a simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/14 11:42, Capitol wrote:
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the
bends are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape
through as there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary
to undo the cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder
with a finger. The last lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly.
Why can't people get a simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

Don't use the bend joints - form the bends with a pipe bending spring
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol brought next idea :
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the bends are
designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape through as there
are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary to undo the cover
plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder with a finger. The last
lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly. Why can't people get a
simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

A proper punch needs a matching socket - a female part with a hole to
closely match the male punch.

Rather than brass or 'brass' I have had success with the plastic
eyelets. They come in two parts, and go together with a snap action.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Capitol brought next idea :
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the
bends are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape
through as there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is
necessary to undo the cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the
shoulder with a finger. The last lot of cast steel bends I used
worked perfectly. Why can't people get a simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

A proper punch needs a matching socket - a female part with a hole to
closely match the male punch.

Rather than brass or 'brass' I have had success with the plastic
eyelets. They come in two parts, and go together with a snap action.

Very good, Harry. ;-)

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2014 11:42, Capitol wrote:
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the
bends are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape
through as there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary
to undo the cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder
with a finger. The last lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly.
Why can't people get a simple product right?

Do you mean bends:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BNDslashS.html

inspection bends:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BND.html

or inspection elbows:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20ELB.html

The last have always been difficult to get wiring round.

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

Not used any recently to know.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :
Capitol brought next idea :
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the bends
are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape through as
there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary to undo the
cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder with a finger. The
last lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly. Why can't people get
a simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

A proper punch needs a matching socket - a female part with a hole to closely
match the male punch.

Rather than brass or 'brass' I have had success with the plastic eyelets.
They come in two parts, and go together with a snap action.

How did that happen?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
[...]

Inspection bends, conduit bends are too long for the situation and
inspection elbows are too tight for 6 cables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2014 16:32, Capitol wrote:
[...]

Odd. I've never found a problem with them, or at least not with the
Egatube versions.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 21/07/14 11:42, Capitol wrote:
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the
bends are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape
through as there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary
to undo the cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder
with a finger. The last lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly.
Why can't people get a simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

Don't use the bend joints - form the bends with a pipe bending spring

I thought I once told you to use 22mm copper bends:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And why does it seem to smell like some sort of anti fungus treatment?
I walked past some people using some a few weeks ago, its either that or the
guy has strange taste in after shave!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Capitol" wrote in message
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the bends
are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape through as
there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary to undo the
cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder with a finger.
The last lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly. Why can't people
get a simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Harry Bloomfield was thinking very hard :
Capitol brought next idea :
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the bends
are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape through as
there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is necessary to undo
the cover plates and persuade the tape to avoid the shoulder with a
finger. The last lot of cast steel bends I used worked perfectly. Why
can't people get a simple product right?

Incidentally, conduit wire insulation appears to have much thicker
insulation now than 40 years ago. Is this always the case?

A proper punch needs a matching socket - a female part with a hole to
closely match the male punch.

Rather than brass or 'brass' I have had success with the plastic eyelets.
They come in two parts, and go together with a snap action.

How did that happen?

You replied to the wrong post and didn't notice that you had done that.