Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Support for camera in window

I'm looking for a neat way to support a camera in a window
about 6 inches above the windowsill.
The windows are large single-paned casement windows.
I'd like it if the camera could be moved from one window to another,
preferably leaving little or no mark behind.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm looking for a neat way to support a camera in a window
about 6 inches above the windowsill.
The windows are large single-paned casement windows.
I'd like it if the camera could be moved from one window to another,
preferably leaving little or no mark behind.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Car cams use suction cups, maybe can adapt a large one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 02:35:02 +0200, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I'm looking for a neat way to support a camera in a window
about 6 inches above the windowsill.
The windows are large single-paned casement windows.
I'd like it if the camera could be moved from one window to another,
preferably leaving little or no mark behind.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

It should have a screw hole in the bottom so get a miniature tripod
for it. They are quite cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm looking for a neat way to support a camera in a window
about 6 inches above the windowsill.
The windows are large single-paned casement windows.
I'd like it if the camera could be moved from one window to another,
preferably leaving little or no mark behind.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

It should have a screw hole in the bottom so get a miniature tripod
for it. They are quite cheap.

I have one of those - it works OK for my little digicam, but I wouldn't use
it for a heavy DSLR (but I assume one would not leave such a beastie in a
window...).
7dayshop.com has some
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=tripod
but the reviews are very mixed. Some mention the Gorilla tripod and on
Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...%2Caps%2C 280
more expensiove though.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message ...

I'm looking for a neat way to support a camera in a window
about 6 inches above the windowsill.
The windows are large single-paned casement windows.
I'd like it if the camera could be moved from one window to another,
preferably leaving little or no mark behind.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

As you haven't specified what type of camera, the best I can offer is this:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/n3sehc9
https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=...70.sAgTZsjjw-o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
I'm looking for a neat way to support a camera in a window
about 6 inches above the windowsill.
The windows are large single-paned casement windows.
I'd like it if the camera could be moved from one window to another,
preferably leaving little or no mark behind.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

You didn't say what size of camera, but these will manage most sizes.

http://www.digibroadcast.com/tripods...123/tripod-kit
s-c264/vision-blue3-v4106-0001-2-stage-aluminium-pozi-loc-tripod-3819-3-g
round-spreader-3363-3-soft-case-3358-3-p7800/s7593?utm_source=google&utm_
medium=cpc&utm_term=vinten-vision-blue3-v4106-0001-2-stage-aluminium-pozi
-loc-tripod-3-vb3-ap2f&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CI O3n8G
S0b8CFXDLtAod6jMABQ

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

I'm looking for a neat way to support a camera in a window
about 6 inches above the windowsill.

As you haven't specified what type of camera, the best I can offer is
this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/n3sehc9

Thanks for the pointer.
The camera is a Linksys WVC54GCA .
I quite like the home-made stand in your site.
I don't think a tripod would be stable enough,
particularly as the camera needs a power connection.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
The camera is a Linksys WVC54GCA . I quite like the home-made stand in
your site. I don't think a tripod would be stable enough, particularly
as the camera needs a power connection.

Hmmm, I have here a WVC54G, which I think is an older model with a large
base. It was given to me and I don't use it because it doesn't support
WPA security on the wireless networking and I don't want to downgrade
the network.

If looks don't matter, I'm a great advocate of the things sold in Pound
shops and elsewhere as "Foam covered twist ties". I've used these a lot
for microphone stands, as they can be twisted round the object and the
base shaped to wherever it has to fit. Often they look like the
charmer's snake, but they reduce noise and vibration and are infinitely
flexible.

I've got a camera here behind a dg window looking at the car. I get bad
reflections when the sun is up and low in the wrong direction. This
cheapo Chinese camera has i-r led's. They reflect badly and are worse
than useless.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

The camera is a Linksys WVC54GCA .

If looks don't matter, I'm a great advocate of the things sold in Pound
shops and elsewhere as "Foam covered twist ties". I've used these a lot
for microphone stands, as they can be twisted round the object and the
base shaped to wherever it has to fit. Often they look like the
charmer's snake, but they reduce noise and vibration and are infinitely
flexible.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll see if I can find those.

Hmmm, I have here a WVC54G, which I think is an older model with a large
base. It was given to me and I don't use it because it doesn't support
WPA security on the wireless networking and I don't want to downgrade
the network.

I actually have my camera attached to the LAN by an ethernet TP-link,
so WPA doesn't come into it.
I was running it by WiFi - my camera with dd-wrt software
does actually support WPA - but the camera is in a remote site,
and I found WiFi on the camera often fails after a few days
and doesn't come back on.