Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smell from hot water boiler

We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week
for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from
it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to time it would leak
and flood the kitchen (never worked out whether it was the tap leaking
or the inlet valve sticking occasionally). We then started leaving it
empty. The smell seems to occur with either it left full or empty.

Any suggestions as to cause/remedy or is it time for a new unit?

--
John Alexander
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Alexander wrote:
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week
for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from
it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to time it would leak
and flood the kitchen (never worked out whether it was the tap leaking
or the inlet valve sticking occasionally). We then started leaving it
empty. The smell seems to occur with either it left full or empty.

Any suggestions as to cause/remedy or is it time for a new unit?

rotting seals - both for leak and smells.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

IMLE the fishy smell is often caused by melting/degrading through heat of plastic due to a dodgy electrical connection.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was going to say, some synthetic seals make a smell like that when they
start to fall apart. Might be a simple remedy if you can locate them and
change them.
Tea earns have this issue as well, as where I last worked had one you
could smell at the other end of the corridor.

I'd have thought though, that modern materials would have banished this by
now. How old is this thing?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
John Alexander wrote:
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week
for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from
it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to time it would leak
and flood the kitchen (never worked out whether it was the tap leaking
or the inlet valve sticking occasionally). We then started leaving it
empty. The smell seems to occur with either it left full or empty.

Any suggestions as to cause/remedy or is it time for a new unit?

rotting seals - both for leak and smells.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JimK
writes
IMLE the fishy smell is often caused by melting/degrading through heat
of plastic due to a dodgy electrical connection.

Yes. Particularly '60's/70's 3 pin wall sockets. Poor electrical contact
leading to heat degrading the plastic insulation.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 2014-07-13, wrote:
IMLE the fishy smell is often caused by melting/degrading through heat of plastic due to a dodgy electrical connection.

When the thermostat went faulty on my immersion heater& it melted the housing,
it smelled fishy.

I had the same smell from a socket switch for my shower when I opened it
up it was charred inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
John Alexander wrote:
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week
for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from
it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to time it would leak
and flood the kitchen (never worked out whether it was the tap leaking
or the inlet valve sticking occasionally). We then started leaving it
empty. The smell seems to occur with either it left full or empty.

Any suggestions as to cause/remedy or is it time for a new unit?

rotting seals - both for leak and smells.

ewwwww. i thought it bad enough for someone to have put a dead fish in it,
but a seal..... yick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Alexander" wrote in message ...
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week
for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from
it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to time it would leak
and flood the kitchen (never worked out whether it was the tap leaking
or the inlet valve sticking occasionally). We then started leaving it
empty. The smell seems to occur with either it left full or empty.

Any suggestions as to cause/remedy or is it time for a new unit?

Electrical burning.
Either the plug housing, the socket it's plugged into or the internal electrics in the boiler
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-07-13, wrote:
IMLE the fishy smell is often caused by melting/degrading through heat of plastic due to a dodgy electrical connection.

When the thermostat went faulty on my immersion heater& it melted the housing,
it smelled fishy.

I had the same smell from a socket switch for my shower when I opened it
up it was charred inside.

Overheated melamine - the amine bit is fish smell.
Good early warning/diagnostic aid of fault developing.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:03:29 AM UTC+1, John Alexander wrote:
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week
for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from
it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to time it would leak
and flood the kitchen (never worked out whether it was the tap leaking
or the inlet valve sticking occasionally). We then started leaving it
empty. The smell seems to occur with either it left full or empty.
Any suggestions as to cause/remedy or is it time for a new unit?

Burning plastic. Fix the bad electrical connection causing it

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2014 08:03, John Alexander wrote:
We have a hot water boiler at Church which is used about twice a week
for tea/coffee. When we turn it on we get a "fishy" smell emanating from
it. We used to leave the boiler full but from time to time it would leak
and flood the kitchen (never worked out whether it was the tap leaking
or the inlet valve sticking occasionally). We then started leaving it
empty. The smell seems to occur with either it left full or empty.

Any suggestions as to cause/remedy or is it time for a new unit?

You can get fishy smells from over heating light fittings so the smell
may not be from the water - it may be the electrical connections to the
boiler have become loose leading to high resistance
connections/overheating electrics.

Water Smell MLD Home Repair 4 March 8th 07 09:46 PM
boiler drain - steam & smell Andrew L. UK diy 3 January 10th 07 09:25 PM
petrol/acetone smell in boiler cupboard neil leslie UK diy 4 January 19th 06 05:54 PM
Hot water sulphur smell Robert A. Barr Home Repair 12 November 19th 03 04:37 PM