Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending Uprights

I'm making some free standing heavy duty shelving kits at the mo for a project where spending money would be against the people's religion. Have just been given a bunch of wood for uprights that's a bit too short, plus matching short pieces. I'm wondering whether and how its practical to join bits end to end to solve this - if I dont, I'm left with a load of wood to get shot of. The joined on bit would only support the top shelf. The uprights are 1.5x3.5 to 2x4.

So far I've considered:

A butt joint with 2 or 4 screws at an angle. Quick & easy - I like that - if its stable enough this would be the easy option.

A Z shaped joint, where the slanty bit of the Z is actually upright, not slanty. A good bit more stable, but I cant think how to easily do the central cut. Hand chiselling a load of partial circ saw cuts isnt something I want to be doing.

A simple scarf joint would work, but is wasteful of wood, makes no use whatever of the woods ability to support itself, and the mitre saw doesnt cut far enough to do them, making repeatability a problem.

Would a butt joint do it?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'm making some free standing heavy duty shelving kits at the mo for a
project where spending money would be against the people's religion. Have
just been given a bunch of wood for uprights that's a bit too short, plus
matching short pieces. I'm wondering whether and how its practical to
join bits end to end to solve this - if I dont, I'm left with a load of
wood to get shot of. The joined on bit would only support the top shelf.
The uprights are 1.5x3.5 to 2x4.

So far I've considered:

A butt joint with 2 or 4 screws at an angle. Quick & easy - I like that -
if its stable enough this would be the easy option.

use joining plates (eg: Screwfix 66707) on both sides rather than angled
screws.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 12:29:31 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I did consider using wood offcuts in the same manner. Its ugly/bulky though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 04:11:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Would a butt joint do it?

Yes - but use a dowel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2014 12:11, wrote:
[...]

How long are the 'short' bits? Could you drill vertically down the
middle - and the same in the top of the main upright - and use metal
rods to reinforce the butt joins.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Use a couple of thick dowels drilled and glued into the ends of the wood.
Brush handles provide a source of cheap large dia. dowel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 12:11:48 PM UTC+1, wrote:

[...]

More thoughts.... I reckon the 2 simplest answers a

for the uprights that are only a bit short, use longer cross pieces, using the width of those to add to the height

for where a foot or so more length is needed, just use a dogleg joint and a few screws. Not pretty but very quick & stable, exactly the qualities I need.

Doing a warehouse full of dowel joints? No.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 04:11:48 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

I'm making some free standing heavy duty shelving kits at the mo for a

A butt joint with 2 or 4 screws at an angle. Quick & easy - I like that
- if its stable enough this would be the easy option.

Use a butt joint with gang nails around it
http://www.anewhouse.com.au/wp-conte.../2013/10/Gang-
Nail-300x139.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, June 23, 2014 12:16:23 AM UTC+1, Matty F wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 04:11:48 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

I'm making some free standing heavy duty shelving kits at the mo for a
A butt joint with 2 or 4 screws at an angle. Quick & easy - I like that
- if its stable enough this would be the easy option.

Use a butt joint with gang nails around it
http://www.anewhouse.com.au/wp-conte.../2013/10/Gang-
Nail-300x139.jpg

And where does one get a pair of gang nail plates for less than the cost of a new upright? Or make one for so litle labour that its worth doing?

NT