Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I use HW with CH drained down?

I want to do some re-routing and radiator installation of my central
heating here, which I'm likely to want to stretch over a couple of weekends
(at least, knowing me!). If I do so, which will involve draining down the
CH, will that still allow the boiler to heat up water as normal?

We have a gas system boiler, unvented HW cylinder, with HW and CH
controlled separately via a timeclock (CH being switched off permanently
during the summer).

Alternative would be to resort to the immersion heater, but I'd need to re-
plan for minimal boiler downtime if that was needed.

Thanks
--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2014 13:36, Lobster wrote:
I want to do some re-routing and radiator installation of my central
heating here, which I'm likely to want to stretch over a couple of weekends
(at least, knowing me!). If I do so, which will involve draining down the
CH, will that still allow the boiler to heat up water as normal?

We have a gas system boiler, unvented HW cylinder, with HW and CH
controlled separately via a timeclock (CH being switched off permanently
during the summer).

Alternative would be to resort to the immersion heater, but I'd need to re-
plan for minimal boiler downtime if that was needed.

In a word No. The hot water cylinder is on the same circuit as the
radiators and is switched by the two way valve so that the water from
the boiler is used to hear the radiators and/or the tank.

If you drain down the CH system there will be no hot water to go through
the heating coil of the tank.

So immersion heater it is, I'm afraid unless, perhaps you want to
replumb the bit around the valve first - which itself would require the
system to be drained down first.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2014 13:36, Lobster wrote:

I want to do some re-routing and radiator installation of my central
heating here, which I'm likely to want to stretch over a couple of weekends
(at least, knowing me!). If I do so, which will involve draining down the
CH, will that still allow the boiler to heat up water as normal?

Chances are your primary CH circuit is also used to heat the unvented
cylinder. There will probably be either a three port valve or a pair of
two port valves somewhere to direct the flow from the boiler through the
relevant bits of the circuit.

So in short, with the CH drained, there is no primary circuit, and you
can't heat the water that way.

We have a gas system boiler, unvented HW cylinder, with HW and CH
controlled separately via a timeclock (CH being switched off permanently
during the summer).

Alternative would be to resort to the immersion heater, but I'd need to re-
plan for minimal boiler downtime if that was needed.

Immersion for a couple of weeks is probably going to be the best way.
Also you can often structure the work so that you hang new rads etc and
pipe them up before you make the final connection to the heating system
(old rads can be removed, but both taps turned off to keep the system
"live") thus keeping the total time drained down to a minimum.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:36:07 GMT, Lobster wrote:

If I do so, which will involve draining down the CH, will that still
allow the boiler to heat up water as normal?

We have a gas system boiler, unvented HW cylinder, with HW and CH
controlled separately via a timeclock

May not need to drain down.

Work out where you need to cut the pipe work, one in the flow and the
other in return. Try an choose a place with access for a pipe cutter
and enough movement in the cut pipes to enable the cut ends to be
misaligned by about 2 diameters. Get four push-fit stop ends of
suitable size. Useful to make sure they are releaseable.
Find the expansion tank in the loft. Securely block the feed pipe in
the tank and the expansion pipe overhanging the tank. You can get
large rubber bungs to do this. Put a collector of some sort on old
towels under where you are going to cut. Have the stop ends ready.
Cut *ONE* pipe only. There will be some spillage. Quickly fit the
stop ends to the cut ends. Repeat for other pipe.

Not quite clear on what you are intending, it sounds a bit more than
just moving a raditor. Are you intending to extend the system by
T'ing off existing flow/return or just making exiting pipes longer?
By cutting and capping you ought to be able to have the CH/HW working
as normal (a part from the bit you have isolated).

If T'ing this might not work if using soldered fittings as pipes
have to be dry to solder. Could use push fit T's with a capped short
bit of pipe in the T. Block the system again when the works are
complete, remove the stub, shove in the new section.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 June 2014 13:36:07 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
I want to do some re-routing and radiator installation of my central

heating here, which I'm likely to want to stretch over a couple of weekends

(at least, knowing me!). If I do so, which will involve draining down the

CH, will that still allow the boiler to heat up water as normal?

We have a gas system boiler, unvented HW cylinder, with HW and CH

controlled separately via a timeclock (CH being switched off permanently

during the summer).

Alternative would be to resort to the immersion heater, but I'd need to re-

plan for minimal boiler downtime if that was needed.

Check that there are not already stop valves already in to do this. If not when you drain the system to do this job add some stop valves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, June 13, 2014 2:17:45 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:36:07 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Work out where you need to cut the pipe work, one in the flow and the
other in return. Try an choose a place with access for a pipe cutter
and enough movement in the cut pipes to enable the cut ends to be
misaligned by about 2 diameters. ... Have the stop ends ready.
Cut *ONE* pipe only. There will be some spillage. Quickly fit the
stop ends to the cut ends. Repeat for other pipe.

....or you could insert a couple of full bore taps - much easier to reconnect it all when the work is done.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find that a wet-capable vacuum cleaner is an invaluable tool when dealing with rad removal and cutting water pipes.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I want to do some re-routing and radiator installation of my central
heating here, which I'm likely to want to stretch over a couple of weekends
(at least, knowing me!). If I do so, which will involve draining down the
CH, will that still allow the boiler to heat up water as normal?

We have a gas system boiler, unvented HW cylinder, with HW and CH
controlled separately via a timeclock (CH being switched off permanently
during the summer).

Alternative would be to resort to the immersion heater, but I'd need to re-
plan for minimal boiler downtime if that was needed.

Thanks

Unless you have a need for profligate amounts of hot water (large
family obsessed with cleanliness to the point of having at least one
bath a day or showering morning, noon and night) the saving realised
by using gas over electricity is rather marginal in the summer season
when you'd normally have the central heating shutdown anyway.

Considering the extra work involved with most of the offered
solutions, I'd have done with it and just use the immersion heater
(after all, it's what it's there for!).
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:59:56 -0700 (PDT), RobertL wrote:

....or you could insert a couple of full bore taps - much easier to
reconnect it all when the work is done.

Can you get full bore push fit? If one or both of the pipe ends
starts glugging, pusfit can be shoved on PDQ compared to tightening a
compression. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2014 13:36, Lobster wrote:
I want to do some re-routing and radiator installation of my central
heating here, which I'm likely to want to stretch over a couple of weekends
(at least, knowing me!). If I do so, which will involve draining down the
CH, will that still allow the boiler to heat up water as normal?

We have a gas system boiler, unvented HW cylinder, with HW and CH
controlled separately via a timeclock (CH being switched off permanently
during the summer).

Alternative would be to resort to the immersion heater, but I'd need to re-
plan for minimal boiler downtime if that was needed.

A minor point. But make sure your immersion heater still works before
relying on it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote

We have a ...... unvented HW cylinder

With due respect, if you have a pressurised system and you don't know the
answer to your own question, it makes me feel you shouldn't be mucking about
with it yourself.

No mud when water heater drained hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 13 October 21st 09 05:41 PM
Leaving CH drained PM UK diy 1 April 29th 05 02:00 PM
Combi won't provide HW when CH is drained - normal? Lobster UK diy 4 October 5th 04 12:58 PM
Central heating drained accidentally Martin Rich UK diy 1 August 9th 04 06:19 PM
Can a combi safely be used for DHW with the heating drained? RichardS UK diy 6 January 7th 04 02:16 AM