Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is this likely?

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside his
house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened half
the street?

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 00:00:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside his
house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened half
the street?

I dunno: my son had his catalytic convertor stolen while his pick-up
was parked in a residential street in Detroit. Detroit, being Motown,
buying a second-hand replacement wasn't difficult but who knows if he
actually ended up buying his old one back?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside
his house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened
half the street?

There was a Police warning about this recently. Professional thieves
can remove them quickly and quietly. They prefer high vehicles, for
easy access, so your Land Rover is a more likely target than your wife's
Renault Clio. Another reason to install CCTV.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:00:00 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes.
Happened to a car near me, in daylight, and a school's minibuses were done whilst they were parked.
It's Romanies in this area, allegedly, but lots of thieving scrotes are at it. Platinum catalysts sold for scrap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:

It's Romanies in this area, allegedly,

Isn't it time we dealt with this problem?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight

A very "trendy" crime according to an MOT tester I was chatting to ...
more popular on pick-ups and vans though, due to ease of access.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
Onetap wrote

It's Romanies in this area, allegedly,

Isn't it time we dealt with this problem?

And just how do you propose it be dealt with ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Platinum catalysts sold for scrap./q

ISTR they changed the law on weighing stuff in? Only bank account payments, id rqd etc etc.

How do the great unwashed get around this?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside his
house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened half
the street?

It seems to be happening regularly

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ter-theft.html

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote

/Platinum catalysts sold for scrap./q

ISTR they changed the law on weighing stuff in?
Only bank account payments, id rqd etc etc.

How do the great unwashed get around this?

Presumably they flog it to someone who
flogs it the required way, at a discount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 04:17:20 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

It's Romanies in this area, allegedly,

Isn't it time we dealt with this problem?

You're right, Bill. It's about time there was a law against stealing
things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote
Onetap wrote

It's Romanies in this area, allegedly,

Isn't it time we dealt with this problem?

And just how do you propose it be dealt with ?

line them up against a wall and .....

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside his
house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened half
the street?

A long time ago a friend popped into his girlfriends for 10 minutes,
when he came out the clutch on his A35 (I did say a long time ago)
appeared to have failed - investigation showed that someone had removed
the prop shaft!

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside
his house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened
half the street?

There was a Police warning about this recently. Professional thieves
can remove them quickly and quietly. They prefer high vehicles, for
easy access, so your Land Rover is a more likely target than your wife's
Renault Clio. Another reason to install CCTV.

Since it was a car, I'd have thought they'd have to lift it in some way
for access. It's unlikely they could park even a small truck nearby at
that time of night, as parking is very tight when everyone's at home.
(typical Victorian London side street) And how would they cut it off?

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside
his house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened
half the street?

I dunno: my son had his catalytic convertor stolen while his pick-up
was parked in a residential street in Detroit. Detroit, being Motown,
buying a second-hand replacement wasn't difficult but who knows if he
actually ended up buying his old one back?

Nick

Was he actually in Detroit or a suburb? I used to live in Birmingham,
MI until late 2010.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought that scrap metal was now so regulated nobody could sell it for
cash and everyone needs a licence?
I have also heard of this goin on, apparently they come equipped with a
kind of electric car tilter, some kind of jack I presume to lift the side
its nearest to.
What ever will be next? Stealing double glazed windows and doors?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Onetap" wrote in message
On Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:00:00 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes.
Happened to a car near me, in daylight, and a school's minibuses were
done whilst they were parked.
It's Romanies in this area, allegedly, but lots of thieving scrotes are at
it. Platinum catalysts sold for scrap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside
his house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened
half the street?

I dunno: my son had his catalytic convertor stolen while his pick-up
was parked in a residential street in Detroit. Detroit, being Motown,
buying a second-hand replacement wasn't difficult but who knows if he
actually ended up buying his old one back?

Nick

Was he actually in Detroit or a suburb? I used to live in Birmingham,
MI until late 2010.

I'd have to ask him. He didn't live the he was on his way to
Windsor, across the bridge, and had just parked there for a while.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I have also heard of this goin on, apparently they come equipped with a
kind of electric car tilter, some kind of jack I presume to lift the
side its nearest to.

That's the bit that made me wonder. Getting access to the underside of the
car. I suppose they could have double parked a truck or whatever, but
equally surprised it didn't wake someone up.

Something large enough to lift a car can't exactly be carried under your
jacket. Nor can the cutting equipment. ;-)

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
What ever will be next? Stealing double glazed windows and doors?

There was a spate of thefts of fireplaces in Edinburgh.

The Georgian marble ones, worth about ten grand each.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its
catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside his
house on the street.

I'd have thought doing this in the dead of night would have awakened half
the street?

I dunno: my son had his catalytic convertor stolen while his pick-up
was parked in a residential street in Detroit. Detroit, being Motown,
buying a second-hand replacement wasn't difficult but who knows if he
actually ended up buying his old one back?

Nick

Buying second-hand without knowing where its from probably fuels the
thefts in the first place.
If there is nowhere to sell it they wont steal it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I have also heard of this goin on, apparently they come equipped with a
kind of electric car tilter, some kind of jack I presume to lift the
side its nearest to.

That's the bit that made me wonder. Getting access to the underside of the
car. I suppose they could have double parked a truck or whatever, but
equally surprised it didn't wake someone up.

Something large enough to lift a car can't exactly be carried under your
jacket. Nor can the cutting equipment. ;-)

Air jack, compressed gas cartridge, silent and quick.
Tube cutters are also pretty quite too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I have also heard of this goin on, apparently they come equipped with a
kind of electric car tilter, some kind of jack I presume to lift the
side its nearest to.

That's the bit that made me wonder. Getting access to the underside of the
car. I suppose they could have double parked a truck or whatever, but
equally surprised it didn't wake someone up.

Something large enough to lift a car can't exactly be carried under your
jacket. Nor can the cutting equipment. ;-)

It's London. Walking down the street with a trolley jack and a cordless
reciprocating saw whilst wearing a hiviz jacket makes you look more normal
than most people that live there!

The guys that stole my mates pick up when he was on holiday told the next
door neighbour that saw them taking it that the pick up was broken down and
that they were there to take it away to fix it. The neighbour gave them a
cup of tea whilst they loaded it on to the low loader. They wore jackets
that said "auto recovery"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2014 07:31, JimK wrote:
/Platinum catalysts sold for scrap./q

ISTR they changed the law on weighing stuff in? Only bank account payments, id rqd etc etc.

How do the great unwashed get around this?

Jim K

Good point. I don't bother much with scap anymore, now I have to pay
tax on the payment. Another little perk gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
What ever will be next? Stealing double glazed windows and doors?

There was a spate of thefts of fireplaces in Edinburgh.

The Georgian marble ones, worth about ten grand each.

Yeah, but you can't exactly do that whilst "it's parked outside" can you?

The equivalence of "bits from cars" is people stealing your limestone
paving.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 7, 2014 6:55:47 PM UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
wrote in message

Brian Gaff wrote:

What ever will be next? Stealing double glazed windows and doors?

There was a spate of thefts of fireplaces in Edinburgh.

The Georgian marble ones, worth about ten grand each.

Yeah, but you can't exactly do that whilst "it's parked outside" can you?

The equivalence of "bits from cars" is people stealing your limestone

paving.

tim

A friend hopped into his Toyota Hi-Ace one morning, a little the worse for wear, and couldn't understand how the wipers were laying on his dashboard.

Some ******* had stolen his windscreen.

A supplier had the front bumper stolen from his new Hi Ace while it sat outside his premises. I suppose being new the bolts were easy to loosen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 14:23:01 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Something large enough to lift a car can't exactly be carried under your
jacket. Nor can the cutting equipment. ;-)

The bottle jack for the Discovery isn't very big...

Cutting the pipes. Judging by the cut ends of steel scaffold tube
there is something about very much akin to a pipe cutter one would
use on copper.

Ah no proper
tool:

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilde...ViewProduct&pr
oductid=13797

Ratchet action so you don't need lots of space around the pipe.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 16:20:01 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

It's Romanies in this area, allegedly,

Isn't it time we dealt with this problem?

And just how do you propose it be dealt with ?

Nuke Appleby?

--
Cheers
Dave.