Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD protection

I have an extension used for cutting the front grass, that needs
replacing. Where is the best place for the RCD protection?

I see reels with the RCD on the reel itself, where I would plug my mower
into. I also can get a RCD adapter the plugs into the socket in the
house, which I then plug in the Extension lead.

Or does it make no difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/14 12:10, Yendor wrote:
I have an extension used for cutting the front grass, that needs
replacing. Where is the best place for the RCD protection?

I see reels with the RCD on the reel itself, where I would plug my mower
into. I also can get a RCD adapter the plugs into the socket in the
house, which I then plug in the Extension lead.

Or does it make no difference.

On the plug end so the cable is protected.

Unless your house already has RCD protection on the sockets in which
case don't bother.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 13:08, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/05/14 12:10, Yendor wrote:
I have an extension used for cutting the front grass, that needs
replacing. Where is the best place for the RCD protection?

I see reels with the RCD on the reel itself, where I would plug my mower
into. I also can get a RCD adapter the plugs into the socket in the
house, which I then plug in the Extension lead.

Or does it make no difference.

On the plug end so the cable is protected.

Unless your house already has RCD protection on the sockets in which
case don't bother.

+1
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/14 12:10, Yendor wrote:
I have an extension used for cutting the front grass, that needs
replacing. Where is the best place for the RCD protection?

I see reels with the RCD on the reel itself, where I would plug my mower
into. I also can get a RCD adapter the plugs into the socket in the
house, which I then plug in the Extension lead.

Or does it make no difference.

On the plug end so the cable is protected.

Unless your house already has RCD protection on the sockets in which
case don't bother.

+1

Bare in mind they're fragile, and RCD plugs often break when being
whipped around on the end of a cable which is being moved or wound
up.

Best is to have the socket RCD protected. If the socket is outdoors,
install the RCD indoors in the dry.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2014 17:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well mine is in the house, but I suppose it depends how good its protection
is and how likely it is that the extension will be damaged or get damp.

As the extension cable is lying on the grass that's being cut then that's
a 'quite possible' to both parts of your question. So put the RCD at the
house end, where it protects from damage to both the mower and the cable.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk