Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems due to being into DIY

Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:39:52 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

No more vertical hold, but plenty of other adjustments on tellys I am
tempted to correct.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

****ing hell you must be bored.
Apart from that your posts are okay :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in
:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't
stay on for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot
and Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

****ing hell you must be bored.
Apart from that your posts are okay :-)

Not bored, just ****ed off cus got ****ed by QPR!!!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Going to someone elses house and finding:
Dripping taps.
Doors that need adjusting.
Paint on lightswitches.

I'm into DIY and I've got them in my own house.

I paid a plumber to fix the dripping tap but it drips again.

The doors didn't need adjusting before I painted them.

I'll scrape the paint off the lightswitches when I get round to screwing them to the back boxes. (I'm not the neatest painter.)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

No more vertical hold, but plenty of other adjustments on tellys I am
tempted to correct.

Wide screen TV sets being set to letterbox wide screen material is my
favourite for readjustment.

It's also amazing and annoying how many hotel TV sets improve greatly
just by resetting the factory defaults for sound and vision.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes:
Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

When I was a teenager at school, I went back to a friend's house.
There was a radiator valve dripping upstairs, which was making a stain
on the rather ornate old kitchen ceiling below. I proudly showed him
how to tighten down the stuffing gland and stopped the leak. A couple
of days later he came in to school not best pleased - when the ceiling
dried out, it all came crashing down into the kitchen, which was
regarded as entirely our fault!

There are various homes across the family which I tend to maintain
nowadays - particularly my parents' home. When I'm there, I do a
scout around for anything that needs fixing.

Paint on wiring accessories - don't get me started on that one!
Professional painters, who can do fantastic straight edges where
paint changes colour, always seem incapable of avoiding slapping
it onto switches, sockets, etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah yes, joins in cables under beds using chock block and sticky tape?

Interesting use of self adhesive draught excluder to cover for twisted or
warped fron doors.
And that is just my house!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/14 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

I get OCD about my own work.

Until I see how the majority of professional is done.

Then I feel better...

Silicone beads in bathrooms at Premier Inns - functional, but very
unpretty. Shonkingly bad electrics at other peoples places, especially
shops! Etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2014 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

Sounds like the average job to me :-)

Doorbell push buttons that aren't straight drive me mad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 00:14:48 +0100
John Williamson wrote:

It's also amazing and annoying how many hotel TV sets improve greatly
just by resetting the factory defaults for sound and vision.

I've also met some where the TV setup reverts to a default every
time the room is shut down, and that default is totally useless.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 09:34:15 +0100
Tim Watts wrote:

On 24/05/14 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

I get OCD about my own work.

Until I see how the majority of professional is done.

Then I feel better...

Silicone beads in bathrooms at Premier Inns - functional, but very
unpretty. Shonkingly bad electrics at other peoples places,
especially shops! Etc.

There used to be a Holland and Barrett near here that had wiring for
lights and sockets duct-taped all along the wooden ceiling beams. They
did fix it, thankfully, about the same time they installed smoke alarms.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:39:52 GMT
DerbyBorn wrote:

Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

After I was shown to my room at the Shanghai Sheraton, I had to screw
the hinges into place before the door would close.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
On 24/05/2014 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

Sounds like the average job to me :-)

Doorbell push buttons that aren't straight drive me mad.

Definitely paint on electrical switches, sockets etc. There is NO NEED
for it!!!!!!

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
On 24/05/2014 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay
on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

Sounds like the average job to me :-)

Doorbell push buttons that aren't straight drive me mad.

Definitely paint on electrical switches, sockets etc. There is NO NEED
for it!!!!!!

Can you tell that to my GF..... she had been painting an upstairs room's
ceiling, and i went up there for some reason and turned on the landing light
at the top switch, only to get paint on my finger,

She had painted the entire switch.... none of the wall, just the light
switch!!!

I asked her if it was a joke to get paint on my hands, but she said in all
seriousness that she had done it as the switch was looking a bit grubby!!!!

Mind, i should have known she was like that.... when i first met her, i
noticed the bog in her flat was a perfect colour match for the bathroom
walls,

then i noticed it was a matt finish, and she told me proudly that she had
painted the bog, inside and out as it had stains in it that she couldnt
clean off!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 May 2014 22:57:03 +0000 (UTC), Heliotrope Smith
wrote:

****ing hell you must be bored.
Apart from that your posts are okay :-)

Not bored, just ****ed off cus got ****ed by QPR!!!!!

Is that a small localised DIY chain that didn't expand like B & Q

G.harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

After I was shown to my room at the Shanghai Sheraton, I had to screw
the hinges into place before the door would close.

Did you go there with the intention of screwing?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

Paint on lightswitches.

(at least the old Vertical Hold doesn't need adjusting)

In pubs - press down taps that are impossible to use as they won't stay on
for a few seconds.

Worst I saw after trying to shut off a dripping tap was that the Hot and
Cold knobs were on the wrong taps.

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

No more vertical hold, but plenty of other adjustments on tellys I am
tempted to correct.

Wide screen TV sets being set to letterbox wide screen material is my
favourite for readjustment.

It's also amazing and annoying how many hotel TV sets improve greatly
just by resetting the factory defaults for sound and vision.

Assuming the settings aren't locked in "hotel mode"

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/14 09:16, Graham. wrote:

Assuming the settings aren't locked in "hotel mode"

And the silly buggers have locked out the HDMI port - found that in one
place. Wanted to jack my phone in and watch Netflix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/05/14 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

I get OCD about my own work.

Until I see how the majority of professional is done.

Then I feel better...

Silicone beads in bathrooms at Premier Inns - functional, but very
unpretty. Shonkingly bad electrics at other peoples places, especially
shops! Etc.

Tiny shower cubicles that would work so much better if the shower head
was mounted in or near a corner, rather than in the centre of one of
the sides.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/05/14 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

I get OCD about my own work.

Until I see how the majority of professional is done.

Then I feel better...

Silicone beads in bathrooms at Premier Inns - functional, but very
unpretty. Shonkingly bad electrics at other peoples places, especially
shops! Etc.

Premier Inn conveyer-belt toaster fed from a half unwound extension
reel behind the tablecloth. Reel was hotter than the toast. I
informed the Maître d'hôtel (yeah right) even told him I was an
electrician (lies). He just blanked me.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 May 2014 10:59:34 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:39:52 GMT
DerbyBorn wrote:

Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

After I was shown to my room at the Shanghai Sheraton, I had to screw
the hinges into place before the door would close.

Probably a rock star was in there before you. I bet the telly was
bolted to the dressing table too.

There used to be a fad for chaining the remote control to the bed head
with a telephone style curly cable. I fitted hundreds of them in
hotels in Manchester.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

On 24/05/14 22:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Anyone with any others or have I got OCD?

I get OCD about my own work.

Until I see how the majority of professional is done.

Then I feel better...

Silicone beads in bathrooms at Premier Inns - functional, but very
unpretty. Shonkingly bad electrics at other peoples places, especially
shops! Etc.

Premier Inn conveyer-belt toaster fed from a half unwound extension
reel behind the tablecloth. Reel was hotter than the toast. I
informed the Maître d'hôtel (yeah right) even told him I was an
electrician (lies). He just blanked me.

I stayed in a Premier Inn last year and an occupant of another room was
smoking, presumably in the bathroom and using the extractor to take the
smoke away. The only problem was that the system was naff and some of
the smoke was ducted back into my bathroom, unless my extractor was on
too. Looking at the roof it seemed as though about 8 rooms all shared
the same vent pipe.

I complained to the "Manager" and was told that I was imagining it, or
trying to make excuses for my own smoking in the room!! The reason
being that each room had its own fan and that they were not
interconnected. I said about the smoke being blown back down the
ducting and was told that it didn't exist, "the fan is just attached to
the wall it doesn't have any ducting" at that point I gave up and we
agreed to differ.

PS,
my father, who is otherwise an intelligent guy, ran a 3KW fan heater off
a rolled up extension lead. it never did un-roll again. :-(

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 26/05/14 09:16, Graham. wrote:

Assuming the settings aren't locked in "hotel mode"

And the silly buggers have locked out the HDMI port - found that in one
place. Wanted to jack my phone in and watch Netflix.

Instead of paying for an in-house movie? They can't have that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2014 09:42:00 +0100
Graham. wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2014 10:59:34 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:39:52 GMT
DerbyBorn wrote:

Going to someone elses house and finding:

Dripping taps.

Doors that need adjusting.

After I was shown to my room at the Shanghai Sheraton, I had to screw
the hinges into place before the door would close.

Probably a rock star was in there before you. I bet the telly was
bolted to the dressing table too.

There used to be a fad for chaining the remote control to the bed head
with a telephone style curly cable. I fitted hundreds of them in
hotels in Manchester.

No. Being in China in the late 1980s, it was the norm. for their
construction quality.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 May 2014 02:36:10 +0100
Bill Wright wrote:

Davey wrote:

After I was shown to my room at the Shanghai Sheraton, I had to
screw the hinges into place before the door would close.

Did you go there with the intention of screwing?

Bill

No, only to beat the anticipated fog the next morning so as not to miss
my flight out! The Sheraton was near to the airport.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 May 2014 09:25:26 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:

Tiny shower cubicles that would work so much better if the shower head

was mounted in or near a corner, rather than in the centre of one of

the sides.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Hah ha! When our shower was installed, the plumber couldn't understand why I wanted the riser rail offset. It required first a drawing and then physically standing in the cubicle holding the shower head in various places before he understood that being able to move further away from the shower head didn't stop me from getting close to it.

Richard :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I go on holiday I always carry a spare washer for between the shower
head and the hose. The number that leak is amazing. It reduces the flow
that I can get from the "blaster" setting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doors that are hinged on the wrong side so they open
towards the advancing person, so you have to open them
well past 150 degrees before you can get through them.

The worst I've seen is like this:

---------------O +----
\ |
\ |
\ |

jgh

Well problems noname87 Home Repair 17 November 4th 11 02:17 AM
I don't have MI5 problems, I have Mitsubishi problems Floyd Gilmour Electronics Repair 2 December 31st 07 04:07 PM
find all solutions to skin care problems, hair care problems, nail care issues.. bina Home Ownership 0 August 1st 06 11:48 AM
TV Problems Congressman Tons Electronics Repair 4 January 19th 06 11:47 PM
Extending a hallway, problems, problems... Christian McArdle UK diy 1 October 15th 04 05:40 PM