Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default loft ventilation

I am planning to replace the original fascias and soffits on my house, which was built in 1994. Several companies have provided estimates and have specified ventilation equivalent to a 10mm continuous gap, in accordance with the current building regulations. However, I believe the original soffits have more ventilation than this. The soffits have rectangular ventilation slots at regular intervals. Each 61 cm along the length of the soffit has a 22 cm long ventilation slot, and each slot is 48mm wide. This is equivalent to (22/61)x48 = 17 mm continuous gap. Although there will be a correction factor to take account of the fact that the slots have a wire mesh grille, I suspect the ventilation is still more than the equivalent of a 10mm continuous gap.

A few years ago, I had trouble with condensation forming in the loft in cold weather. I reduced the problem significantly by fitting a tighter-fitting loft-hatch and sealing around pipes/cables where they enter the loft from the rooms below. Now only a few drops of condensation form on the roofing felt in cold weather. However, I do not want to aggravate condensation issues by having new soffits/fascias that provide less ventilation than the existing ones. Therefore I'm thinking of either (i) using soffits that provide ventilation equivalent to a 25mm continuous gap, or (ii) using soffits that provide ventilation equivalent to a 10mm continuous gap plus over-fascia ventilation that provides ventilation equivalent to an additional 10mm continuous gap.

I'd be grateful for any comments about whether (i) or (ii) above sound sensible, or if there are any reasons why I should not use these options

thanks

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnD wrote:
[...]

They have supplied prices with a 10mm vent strip because this is what most
homes have and is normally adequate.
If you'd asked for a 25mm strip they'd have priced for it, although there's
only pennies different:
http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/b...fit-vents.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 6:20:31 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
JohnD wrote:

[...]

Thanks Phil, that sounds like the best bet
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnD wrote:

However, I do not want to aggravate condensation issues by having new
soffits/fascias that provide less ventilation than the existing ones.

Maybe that wouldn't actually cause a problem, after all the water that was
condensing has to have come from somewhere. Less ventilation might also
mean less wet air coming in.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to JohnD , jaxonmackinolty wrote:
We have replaced our 10 year old ventilation system with Ventis
ventilation system. I have read customer reviews about Ventis on many
sites and impressed after watching its complete working on you tube.

Loft Ventilation Conundrum fresia UK diy 4 November 2nd 12 09:40 AM
boarding and insulating a loft - support and ventilation David Robinson UK diy 8 May 20th 10 06:02 PM
Loft ventilation Broadback UK diy 7 October 4th 06 11:19 PM
Loft insulation and ventilation. Guy King UK diy 11 May 29th 06 03:27 PM
Loft space ventilation for these hot summer days David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 July 16th 03 10:18 PM