Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RYOBI Battery Charger

I bought a RYOBI ExpandIt hedge trimmer, chain saw etc. .... and it
works very well.

The unit is also capable of Electric start ... so added the RYOBI 12V
NicCad pack ... BPH-1215 1300mAh
Also bought the specified charger BCAH-120 S 16V 300mA

The question is from new the charger ... 'charges' the battery, but the
charger unit RED charge LED never goes out, ... so unsure if it is fully
charged ... or even if charging correctly.

Battery pack has 4 terminals .. but only 2 of them make electrical
contact within the charger.

I do have a professional digitally programmable charger so I could
ensure the pack has a full charge (at least once) but ideally want to
use the RYOBI charger as this has secure physical 'click-in' of the
battery, and can be used specifically for this battery.

Anybody any experience of these chargers ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
I bought a RYOBI ExpandIt hedge trimmer, chain saw etc. .... and it
works very well.

The unit is also capable of Electric start ... so added the RYOBI 12V
NicCad pack ... BPH-1215 1300mAh
Also bought the specified charger BCAH-120 S 16V 300mA

The question is from new the charger ... 'charges' the battery, but the
charger unit RED charge LED never goes out, ... so unsure if it is fully
charged ... or even if charging correctly.

Battery pack has 4 terminals .. but only 2 of them make electrical
contact within the charger.

I do have a professional digitally programmable charger so I could
ensure the pack has a full charge (at least once) but ideally want to
use the RYOBI charger as this has secure physical 'click-in' of the
battery, and can be used specifically for this battery.

Anybody any experience of these chargers ?

With only two terminals it is not likely to be a smart charger. Nicad
charge state cannot reliably be detected by terminal volts alone.
The best way to tell if it is reasonably charged is when the batteries
themselves start to warm up showing the power is being converted to heat
rather than chemical energy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 13:43, Bob Minchin wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

Assume the battery is used for multiple RYOBI products .. has 4
terminals ..they must make other chargers as well .. or waste of 4 terminals

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fIn article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

My Ryobi "Plus 1" NiMh batteries have 3 terminals. the Lithium ones have
an extra two small ones. That's obviously how the charger - with 5
terminals, knows what type of battery is presented for charge.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

If you look for a faster charger for that battery type, then this will
need the extra terminals. Some use a thermistor in the battery pack to
detect temperature rise, others use diodes for similar purposes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 16:05, Bob Minchin wrote:

If you look for a faster charger for that battery type, then this will
need the extra terminals. Some use a thermistor in the battery pack to
detect temperature rise, others use diodes for similar purposes.

Not after 'faster charge' just to be sure it's getting
full charge.

Anyway ... programmed up a NiCad full charge & 24Hr trickle charge ...
so will at least know it has been fully charged this time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes , david wrote:
rick_hughes wrote:

I bought a RYOBI ExpandIt hedge trimmer, chain saw etc. .... and it
works very well.
The unit is also capable of Electric start ... so added the RYOBI 12V
NicCad pack ... BPH-1215 1300mAh
Also bought the specified charger BCAH-120 S 16V 300mA
The question is from new the charger ... 'charges' the battery, but the
charger unit RED charge LED never goes out, ... so unsure if it is fully
charged ... or even if charging correctly.
Battery pack has 4 terminals .. but only 2 of them make electrical
contact within the charger.
I do have a professional digitally programmable charger so I could
ensure the pack has a full charge (at least once) but ideally want to
use the RYOBI charger as this has secure physical 'click-in' of the
battery, and can be used specifically for this battery.
Anybody any experience of these chargers ?

HI where did you get the charger from? I cant track down a replacement
anywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2014 14:44, david wrote:
replying to Rick Hughes , david wrote:

HI where did you get the charger from? I cant track down a replacement
anywhere.

Bought new off an eBay trader.

The eBay name was:
tina4983

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to david, Brian wrote:
Phone.0161 4773388. Part no.5131 01 8414

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...er-973965-.htm