Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBQ

We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our price
range is £80 to £110.
Can anyone make a recommendation?
Thank you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our price
range is £80 to £110.
Can anyone make a recommendation?
Thank you

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Get a charcoal starter - speeds things up no end;

http://direct.asda.com/george/george...efault,pd.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave, we had charcoal BBQs for years but decided about 8 years ago to change
to gas, mainly for the convenience. I agree that the food takes better with
charcoal but we just use it now to cook sausages, burgers and the occasional
steak; these cook quite well on gas. Still have a small charcoal BBQ but
never use it.
Thanks all the same.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our price
range is £80 to £110.
Can anyone make a recommendation?
Thank you

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Get a charcoal starter - speeds things up no end;

http://direct.asda.com/george/george...efault,pd.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our
price range is £80 to £110.
Can anyone make a recommendation?
Thank you

Checkout Aldi next thursday, they are selling a 2 burner for £49.99.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

but cooking at a Barbeque is "a real man's job".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Get a charcoal starter - speeds things up no end;

http://direct.asda.com/george/george...el-chimney-sta
rter/001685691,default,pd.html

Just had a look at that - keep meaning to get one.
But - the one reviewer of the above Asda item says that his chimney melted
-??!?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 08:05, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/14 08:22, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:05, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a deckchair.

There are no saucepans to wash as you just blast-furnace the grid before
cooking next time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:22:15 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

+1

Strikes me as a sheple thing designed to annoy your neighbours with
plumes of smoke and stench of burning dead animal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 08:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/05/14 08:22, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:05, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a deckchair.

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside and half-cooked
on the inside.

There are no saucepans to wash as you just blast-furnace the grid before
cooking next time

Saucepans just go into the dishwasher.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Get a charcoal starter - speeds things up no end;

http://direct.asda.com/george/george...el-chimney-sta
rter/001685691,default,pd.html

Just had a look at that - keep meaning to get one.
But - the one reviewer of the above Asda item says that his chimney melted
-??!?

It says it's made of steel, so what was the bloke using to start his bbq,
thermite?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 15:11, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/05/14 08:22, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:05, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a deckchair.

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside and half-cooked
on the inside.

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 08:18, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Get a charcoal starter - speeds things up no end;

http://direct.asda.com/george/george...el-chimney-sta
rter/001685691,default,pd.html

Just had a look at that - keep meaning to get one.
But - the one reviewer of the above Asda item says that his chimney melted
-??!?

I've used mine twice so far, paint has melted off, but that's all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 15:11, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/05/14 08:22, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:05, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you
may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a deckchair.

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside and half-cooked
on the inside.

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

If that is the case (and I am not convinced) I have yet to go to a
barbecue where the person cooking knows how to cook on a barbecue.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/14 18:54, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Microwave then put it over the coals for long enough to char the
outside. The second stage is optional. :-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/14 18:54, Nightjar wrote:

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

If that is the case (and I am not convinced) I have yet to go to a
barbecue where the person cooking knows how to cook on a barbecue.

Colin Bignell

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler
end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both
sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I get hint of chargrill on the outside and properly cooked (just) all
the way through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 18:54, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

You need a better circle of friends :-)

SWMBO spent 3 years at catering college and has trained me well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 May 2014 08:24:39 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler
end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both
sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I get hint of chargrill on the outside and properly cooked (just) all
the way through.

That's a very kind invitation, Tim. What time would you like the whole
newsgroup round? We'll bring some beers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 08:14, charles wrote:

but cooking at a Barbeque is "a real man's job".

http://funny2.com/barbecue.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/14 08:29, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2014 08:24:39 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler
end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both
sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I get hint of chargrill on the outside and properly cooked (just) all
the way through.

That's a very kind invitation, Tim. What time would you like the whole
newsgroup round? We'll bring some beers.

I'd better order a pallet of bricks then everyone can help me make a BBQ
big enough! ;-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 May 2014, Tim Watts grunted:

On 19/05/14 18:54, Nightjar wrote:

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

If that is the case (and I am not convinced) I have yet to go to a
barbecue where the person cooking knows how to cook on a barbecue.

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler
end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both
sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I'll enjoy watching and learning when we all come round; but till then -
how do you do that, assuming a constant grill height: do you just pile up
or spread out the burning charcoal?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2014 19:55, Lobster wrote:
On 20 May 2014, Tim Watts grunted:

On 19/05/14 18:54, Nightjar wrote:

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

If that is the case (and I am not convinced) I have yet to go to a
barbecue where the person cooking knows how to cook on a barbecue.

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler
end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both
sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I'll enjoy watching and learning when we all come round; but till then -
how do you do that, assuming a constant grill height: do you just pile up
or spread out the burning charcoal?

Ours has two, three position grills. It's the one in the main picture
here;
http://wickes.live.venda.com/icat/gd... ntent=Default

You can also tilt the grill so one end is higher than the other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/14 19:55, Lobster wrote:
On 20 May 2014, Tim Watts grunted:

On 19/05/14 18:54, Nightjar wrote:

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

If that is the case (and I am not convinced) I have yet to go to a
barbecue where the person cooking knows how to cook on a barbecue.

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler
end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both
sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I'll enjoy watching and learning when we all come round; but till then -
how do you do that, assuming a constant grill height: do you just pile up
or spread out the burning charcoal?

Pile more towards one side

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/14 21:43, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/05/14 19:55, Lobster wrote:
On 20 May 2014, Tim Watts grunted:

On 19/05/14 18:54, Nightjar wrote:

Not if you know how to cook on a barbeque....

If that is the case (and I am not convinced) I have yet to go to a
barbecue where the person cooking knows how to cook on a barbecue.

You should come to mine... The scret is to have a hot end and a cooler
end. Red meats, including burgers should be flashed on the hot end, both
sides, then moved to the cooler side and left to cook through.

I'll enjoy watching and learning when we all come round; but till then -
how do you do that, assuming a constant grill height: do you just pile up
or spread out the burning charcoal?

Pile more towards one side

Once its all white, use water or beer to cool a section to stop flames
and burning.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Once its all white, use water or beer to cool a section to stop flames
and burning.

It's a good use of any poor quality lager that finds its way into the
cooler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 15:11, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/05/14 08:22, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/05/2014 08:05, Lobster wrote:
On 18 May 2014, The Medway Handyman
grunted:

On 18/05/2014 16:31, Stewart wrote:
We are looking to replace our 2 burner gas BBQ sometime soon. Our

Go for charcoal not gas. Tastes much better.

Yeah. Never really understood the point of gas barbecues... you may as
well just cook the food in the kitchen and bring it outside to eat al
fresco

I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a deckchair.

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside and half-cooked
on the inside.

I find if you get the technique right you can get foot that is nicely
cooked through, but still nice an juicy and just slightly crisp on the
outside. Marinates and dips etc seem to take on extra flavour when used
on stuff cooked over direct heat like that.

There is also the social aspect of being outside with friends or family
on a hot night rather than cooped up in the kitchen...

Not forgetting the BBQ banana ;-)

slap a banana in its skin on the cooling BBQ - turn occationally, but
leave it until its black and starting to weep. Transfer to a bowl, and
slit the skin on the inside of the curve with a sharp knife (it will be
weak and thin now).

Inside will be hot mush caramelised banana. Sprinkle ona half teaspoon
of dark sugar (muscavado or similar), then douse in dark rum. Enjoy
while piping hot!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2014 11:39, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Throw away banana, drink sauce :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

As I mentioned elsewhere, the barbecues I have attended don't seem to
include competent cooks.

There is also the social aspect of being outside with friends or family
on a hot night rather than cooped up in the kitchen...

On a hot night, I would probably prefer to serve cold food. In any case,
with a bit of planning, it isn't necessary to be cooped up in the
kitchen when entertaining. It is the same situation as a dinner party,
but outdoors. Of course, if you want to do a lot of outdoor
entertaining, there is always the continental option - a covered outdoor
kitchen, or one that opens directly onto the garden through french doors.

Not forgetting the BBQ banana ;-)

slap a banana in its skin on the cooling BBQ - turn occationally, but
leave it until its black and starting to weep. Transfer to a bowl, and
slit the skin on the inside of the curve with a sharp knife (it will be
weak and thin now).

Inside will be hot mush caramelised banana. Sprinkle ona half teaspoon
of dark sugar (muscavado or similar), then douse in dark rum. Enjoy
while piping hot!

Sounds horrible, but I don't like bananas to begin with.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
, John
Rumm wrote:
I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a
deckchair.

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside
and half-cooked on the inside.

I find if you get the technique right you can get
** foot **

From the Jeffrey Dhamer cookbook I guess??
that is nicely cooked through, but still nice an juicy
and just slightly crisp on the outside. Marinates and
dips etc seem to take on extra flavour when used on stuff
cooked over direct heat like that.

John

--
John Mulrooney

You can't beat a boiled egg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2014 09:16, JTM wrote:
In article
, John
Rumm wrote:
I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a
deckchair.

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside
and half-cooked on the inside.

I find if you get the technique right you can get
** foot **

From the Jeffrey Dhamer cookbook I guess??

Don't think I have seen that one... any good?

(my technique is really a case of marinade first to add flavour and
protect from over heating the outside. Don't cook over the charcoal
until its had a few mins for the fiercest heat to die down. Seal / flash
all round on the higher heat initially, but then move to a cooler bit to
cook through. Having a trowel handy to shove coals about helps so you
can create hotter and cooler sections.

that is nicely cooked through, but still nice an juicy
and just slightly crisp on the outside. Marinates and
dips etc seem to take on extra flavour when used on stuff
cooked over direct heat like that.

John

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2014 14:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/05/2014 09:16, JTM wrote:
In article
, John
Rumm wrote:
I've never really understood the point of barbecues.

Colin Bignell

You get to cook whilst ****ed and sitting in a
deckchair.

You also get to eat food that is charred on the outside
and half-cooked on the inside.

I find if you get the technique right you can get
** foot **

From the Jeffrey Dhamer cookbook I guess??

Don't think I have seen that one... any good?

(my technique is really a case of marinade first to add flavour and
protect from over heating the outside. Don't cook over the charcoal
until its had a few mins for the fiercest heat to die down. Seal / flash
all round on the higher heat initially, but then move to a cooler bit to
cook through. Having a trowel handy to shove coals about helps so you
can create hotter and cooler sections.

that is nicely cooked through, but still nice an juicy
and just slightly crisp on the outside. Marinates and
dips etc seem to take on extra flavour when used on stuff
cooked over direct heat like that.

We obviously went to the same BBQ training camp :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

Mr Rumm says...

Inside will be hot mush caramelised banana. Sprinkle ona half teaspoon
of dark sugar (muscavado or similar), then douse in dark rum. Enjoy
while piping hot!

Did you also invent the Rumm Baba?

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2014 19:17, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,

Mr Rumm says...

Inside will be hot mush caramelised banana. Sprinkle ona half teaspoon
of dark sugar (muscavado or similar), then douse in dark rum. Enjoy
while piping hot!

Did you also invent the Rumm Baba?

Sounds like my take on barbecued sheep!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge wrote:
My gas barbie has a tray of lava rocks which the gas is supposed to
heat up, which then cooks the food. It's an Outback of some description
and it's a PoS. It never gets hot enough, the gas blows out in the merest
zephyr, the cooking area is too small. I wish we'd never bought it. The
charcoal one which preceded it was far superior.

We've been given one like that by friends moving house who didn't have
room for it, but I've not tried it out yet. Cooking area is a fair size
though. And a co-worker with another Outback cooked happily for 40 or so
developers without any problem, so they can't all be useless.