Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing a floating* floor (AKA: how to match T&G profiles)

I've just been inspecting why a floor felt "odd" and it seems tht
there's been a small long-term water leak that has gone between the (P5)
chipboard and the DPM and rotted the chipboard from beneath. I've hacked
out the damaged 2440x600 panels but the new (Faber) board has a
different profile so there's a small step where it joins the old, and
I'm unlikely to be able to glue it.

It seems my options a
- find chipboard with the right T&G profile (who makes this stuff apart
from Faber?)
- get a cutter made to match the old profile (sounds expensive)
- cut the T&G off the new and old chipboard and route a groove in both
to fit a loose tongue (routing the existing flooring is going to be a pain!)
- any other ideas?

*Floating floor: seems to be a concrete raft with polystyrene, then DPM
then chipboard, with the pieces glued to each other ... no joists or
other structure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 16/05/2014 19:56,
wrote:
[...]

No replies but, for the record, I've decided to remove the T&G profile
from the old flooring and one edge of the new flooring, then to use a
biscuit jointer to cut a slot for a loose plywood tongue, then to
continue with the new T&G profile. I'll also remove some of the
polystyrene so I can reinforce the joint with some 2x1. If anyone
thinks this is a bad plan then please shout.

Why does it have to be T&G? - what reason is there to not have a straight
butt joint?

If you are worried that it will lift or flex, just affix them butt up (no
T&G) and then apply some steel straps over the joint, you would have to make
some small rebates for the straps to sit in, then screw them all down, lay
your carpet and forget it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 22:22, Phil L wrote:
wrote:
On 16/05/2014 19:56,
wrote:
[...]

If it was a conventional floor I'd be happy with a butt joint over a
joist or noggin but this floor is glued-together and just sits on the
polystyrene. I'm certain that the flex would cause any screwed and
plated joint to fail quite quickly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 21:41, wrote:
On 16/05/2014 19:56,
wrote:
[...]

In case anyone else is faced with the same task - it was easy.
Rip off 50mm or so from existing floor using a small circ saw (depth set
so as not to cut DPM) and finish ends near walls with reciprocating
multi-tool, rip one edge off new piece of floor, use biscuit jointer
(set to max depth) to cut a groove along both bits of chipboard, adjust
and re-cut to get the slot the right width, squirt-in polyurethane glue,
insert strips of 6mm ply and wack the whole lot together, trim glue. It
gave a perfectly level join which should be stronger than the original T&G.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2014 21:41, wrote:
On 16/05/2014 19:56,
wrote:
[...]

Only just read this, but FWIW a loose tongue was what I was going to
suggest.