Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The carpet on carpet problem

After many decades of frustration with carpets moving/rucking on
carpets, I finally have found a solution which works for me without
nailing the top one down. Buy a couple of office carpet protectors from
Costco and place bumpy side down under the top carpet. You may need to
carve them up a bit to get the right size, it works for me and she no
longer complains about the problem. The Costco ones are best as they are
designed to cope with 400lb americans and are very stiff. The UK ones
are frail in comparison.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

After many decades of frustration with carpets moving/rucking on
carpets, I finally have found a solution which works for me without
nailing the top one down. Buy a couple of office carpet protectors from
Costco and place bumpy side down under the top carpet.

What's wrong with just taking the first carpet up before laying the
second one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:57:51 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Capitol wrote:

After many decades of frustration with carpets moving/rucking on
carpets, I finally have found a solution which works for me without
nailing the top one down. Buy a couple of office carpet protectors from
Costco and place bumpy side down under the top carpet.

What's wrong with just taking the first carpet up before laying the
second one?

It acts as underlay. If fitted, The restraint at the edges normally stops any walking.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
I think he means hearth rug type installations. Lts of small carpets are put
on fitted ones, and they can be very hazardous.
Brian

Correct, who in their right mind would lay a base carpet other than on
underlay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:56:01 +0100, Capitol wrote:

After many decades of frustration with carpets moving/rucking on
carpets, I finally have found a solution which works for me without
nailing the top one down. Buy a couple of office carpet protectors from
Costco and place bumpy side down under the top carpet. You may need to
carve them up a bit to get the right size, it works for me and she no
longer complains about the problem. The Costco ones are best as they are
designed to cope with 400lb americans and are very stiff. The UK ones
are frail in comparison.

I've got one from Ikea. It's pretty good quality (far better than Staples'
version) but doesn't have bumps. It travels quite enthusiastically across
the rug.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well back in them old days they obviously did some odd things. when my
parents first moved into this house, built in 1939, they wanted to change a
couple of carpets, and not having much money decided to do it themselves. On
looking under the existing rather worn carpet there was another old carpet
and a fitted sheet of rather cracked lino.

In fact although the carpet which was down was a little bumpy due to the
other layers, it did stop draughts from coming up from between the
floorboards.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active