Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default surface mount - kitchen unit hinges

Has anyone come across a surface mount version of the type of hinges
commonly used on kitchen units please? I need an hinge which 'throws' a
door out and clear of the carcass, as it opens.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the one on the bottom what you are looking for, I am sure I have seen similar in B&Q.

http://www.manddonline.co.uk/index.p...=20a&pa ge=18

The standard Blum type hinge is easy to fit with 35mm cutters readily available, you just need a pillar drill or a pillar drill accessory for a normal power drill.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 11:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Has anyone come across a surface mount version of the type of hinges
commonly used on kitchen units please? I need an hinge which 'throws' a
door out and clear of the carcass, as it opens.

Why does it need to be surface mounted rather than recessed into a 35mm
hole like the standard hinges?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote :
Is the one on the bottom what you are looking for, I am sure I have seen
similar in B&Q.

http://www.manddonline.co.uk/index.p...=20a&pa ge=18

The standard Blum type hinge is easy to fit with 35mm cutters readily
available, you just need a pillar drill or a pillar drill accessory for a
normal power drill.

Richard

The one at the bottom is the one I originally used and which turned out
to be not of adequate strength. The pressed metal tore after a few
years.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills brought next idea :
On 02/05/2014 11:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Has anyone come across a surface mount version of the type of hinges
commonly used on kitchen units please? I need an hinge which 'throws' a
door out and clear of the carcass, as it opens.

Why does it need to be surface mounted rather than recessed into a 35mm hole
like the standard hinges?

The panels are a touch thiner than a kitchen carcass, so the holes
would be all the way through.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, May 2, 2014 5:09:40 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Roger Mills brought next idea :

On 02/05/2014 11:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Has anyone come across a surface mount version of the type of hinges

commonly used on kitchen units please? I need an hinge which 'throws' a

door out and clear of the carcass, as it opens.

Why does it need to be surface mounted rather than recessed into a 35mm hole

like the standard hinges?

The panels are a touch thiner than a kitchen carcass, so the holes

would be all the way through.

--

Regards,

Harry (M1BYT) (L)

http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I did get some a few years ago that work the same as the recessed ones but have a plate at each end with four screw holes in each plate for surface mounting. and have just found them at screwfix. http://www.screwfix.com/p/easy-mount...ack-of-2/38662
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 11:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Has anyone come across a surface mount version of the type of hinges
commonly used on kitchen units please? I need an hinge which 'throws' a
door out and clear of the carcass, as it opens.

If I wanted something like that, I'd have a look at Blum's catalogue.

http://www.blum.com/gb/en/02/40/40/

--
Rod