Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identifying a thread

Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit
the tapped holes in new boards ...
previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC

The threads in the new board appear to be 26 tpi on 0.2295" diameter

The nearest I could find to match would be 7/32" Cycle thread ... which
seems a bit obscure for a water sport board .... unless someone else can
identity the thread?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 20:17, Rick Hughes wrote:
Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit
the tapped holes in new boards ...
previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC

The threads in the new board appear to be 26 tpi on 0.2295" diameter

The nearest I could find to match would be 7/32" Cycle thread ... which
seems a bit obscure for a water sport board .... unless someone else can
identity the thread?

Metric? 6mm fine thread?

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadmf.htm

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 20:17, Rick Hughes wrote:
Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit
the tapped holes in new boards ...
previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC

The threads in the new board appear to be 26 tpi on 0.2295" diameter

1/4" British Standard Brass, although the effective diameter should be
0.2254".

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 20:36, John Williamson wrote:
On 01/05/2014 20:17, Rick Hughes wrote:
Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit
the tapped holes in new boards ...
previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC

The threads in the new board appear to be 26 tpi on 0.2295" diameter

The nearest I could find to match would be 7/32" Cycle thread ... which
seems a bit obscure for a water sport board .... unless someone else can
identity the thread?

Metric? 6mm fine thread?

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadmf.htm

More likely 6mm with coarse thread - which has a pitch of 1mm (or 25.4
TPI) rather than the fine which has a pitch of 0.7mm (~36 TPI).
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rick Hughes
writes
Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit
the tapped holes in new boards ...
previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC

What does the manufacturer say :-?

Not an instant answer obviously but it will be 100% reliable and you
wont risk wrecking the inserts on your new toy.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 21:23, Roger Mills wrote:
On 01/05/2014 20:36, John Williamson wrote:
On 01/05/2014 20:17, Rick Hughes wrote:
Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit
the tapped holes in new boards ...
previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC

The threads in the new board appear to be 26 tpi on 0.2295" diameter

The nearest I could find to match would be 7/32" Cycle thread ... which
seems a bit obscure for a water sport board .... unless someone else can
identity the thread?

Metric? 6mm fine thread?

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadmf.htm

More likely 6mm with coarse thread - which has a pitch of 1mm (or 25.4
TPI) rather than the fine which has a pitch of 0.7mm (~36 TPI).

Whenever you see 26tpi, the thread table to reach for is British
Standard Brass, which are all 26tpi.

http://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/bsb.html

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 00:35, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. But he did say that the thread "appears" to be 26tpi - so I
don't know how accurately he was able to measure it.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 20:36, John Williamson wrote:

Metric? 6mm fine thread?

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadmf.htm

Yep ... M6
Turns out is was Metric .. just not a clear thread form ... and the fact
it was on a US made product threw me .... seems US are slowly migrating
to metric after all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 21:22, Nightjar wrote:
On 01/05/2014 20:17, Rick Hughes wrote:
Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit
the tapped holes in new boards ...
previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC

The threads in the new board appear to be 26 tpi on 0.2295" diameter

1/4" British Standard Brass, although the effective diameter should be
0.2254".

Colin Bignell

I thought it was BS Cycle thread as that was nearest I could find ...
but in the end was M6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 22:38, fred wrote:

What does the manufacturer say :-?

Finally got answer from them
.....they have always fitted 1/4" x 20 (UNC)

But swapped to M6 as it gives much better holding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rick Hughes
writes
On 01/05/2014 22:38, fred wrote:

What does the manufacturer say :-?

Finally got answer from them
....they have always fitted 1/4" x 20 (UNC)

But swapped to M6 as it gives much better holding.

Glad you're sorted as I assume you will be wanting to play with it this
weekend :-)

As you say, v confusing with it being an American board, no doubt
they'll confuse the issue further by selling nasty a Philips head on
their screws rather than Pozi. Oh, actually, they'll come with the
bindings wont they . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 14:46, fred wrote:
In article , Rick Hughes
writes
On 01/05/2014 22:38, fred wrote:

What does the manufacturer say :-?

Finally got answer from them
....they have always fitted 1/4" x 20 (UNC)

But swapped to M6 as it gives much better holding.

Glad you're sorted as I assume you will be wanting to play with it this
weekend :-)

As you say, v confusing with it being an American board, no doubt
they'll confuse the issue further by selling nasty a Philips head on
their screws rather than Pozi. Oh, actually, they'll come with the
bindings wont they . . .

That the issue not changing the binding ... jut putting them on new
board .... now have to get some M6 binding screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rick Hughes
writes
On 02/05/2014 14:46, fred wrote:

As you say, v confusing with it being an American board, no doubt
they'll confuse the issue further by selling nasty a Philips head on
their screws rather than Pozi. Oh, actually, they'll come with the
bindings wont they . . .

That the issue not changing the binding ... jut putting them on new
board .... now have to get some M6 binding screws.

These any good:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p77844 (M6x20 csk)

Only zinc I'm afraid but might do you short term.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 19:05, fred wrote:
In article , Rick Hughes
writes

Got some stainless cheesehead screws today & washers will allow up to
use board tomorrow at least :-)