Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting a tap apart?

Hello all... I have an Ideal Standard tap the same as http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachments/trc-shed/18374d1326987066-getting-bathroom-tap-apart-ideal-standard-kingston-bath-taps-e6055-00019867s.jpg can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body should be removeable and if so how to do it? It appears to be 'solid'... The tap turns okay but no water... Any suggestions?

Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 12:33, Ardamerr wrote:
Hello all... I have an Ideal Standard tap the same as http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachments/trc-shed/18374d1326987066-getting-bathroom-tap-apart-ideal-standard-kingston-bath-taps-e6055-00019867s.jpg can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body should be removeable and if so how to do it? It appears to be 'solid'... The tap turns okay but no water... Any suggestions?

Richard.

Have you tried turning it either way, as I would initially expect that
it would unscrew from the bottom part.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ardamerr wrote:

Hello all... I have an Ideal Standard tap the same as

http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachments/trc-shed/18374d1326987066-getting-bathroom-tap-apart-ideal-standard-kingston-bath-taps-e6055-00019867s.jpg
can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body
should be removeable and if so how to do it? It appears to be 'solid'...
The tap turns okay but no water... Any suggestions?

I'd expect that there's a screw holding the tap knob onto its shaft, either
under the white central C/H logo in the top of the knob, or in the side of
the knob screwed sideways into the tap shaft. Once you've loosened that the
knob should come off.

Then the tapered section should just unscrew from the bit under it, though
it might be pretty stiff. I should think the taper would make it tricky to
get a good grip on it with a wrench. There might just be some slight
'flats' on the lowest part of the taper allowing a wide wrench to fit over
them. If you have to exert a lot of force trying to loosen the tapered bit
be sure to use your other hand to apply a counter-force on the spout of the
tap to prevent the whole tap from rotating in its socket in the sink, as
loosening that or - worst case - damaging the seal between tap and supply
pipe will make the whole job much more complicated.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 04:33:21 -0700 (PDT), Ardamerr wrote:

can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body
should be removeable and if so how to do it?

It should just screw off but you ahve metal, water and lime all mixed
together... They can be a right begger to get off, try a soaking in
lime scale remover, try and get some down between the shaft and
cover. Gentle taps with a small hammer around the base, put a couple
of layers of paper between hammer and cover to try and reduce
marking. There ought to be some flats around the bottom of the cover
tightly fit a wrench (adjustable) again with a sheet of paper, and
try shifting it. Gentle taps with hammer in righty tighty and lefty
loosey directions. Brace the tap body to stop it rotating in the
basin.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/14 12:33, Ardamerr wrote:
Hello all... I have an Ideal Standard tap the same as http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachments/trc-shed/18374d1326987066-getting-bathroom-tap-apart-ideal-standard-kingston-bath-taps-e6055-00019867s.jpg can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body should be removeable and if so how to do it? It appears to be 'solid'... The tap turns okay but no water... Any suggestions?

Richard.

Got these taps

Remove cover from tap top
Remove screw inside.
Remove tap head with a sharp tap (sic!) - usually seized.
Remove tapered top with a wrench if you dont care about cratching or a
strap wrench if you so Suggerst removing complete tap anyway to get
force on it

Remove tap mechanism from body with wrench in a vice.

Replace washer
discover tap now leaks at connector
Replace connector washer.
Discover tap now leaks at gland.
Remove tap throw away and fit new tap :-=)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 12:33, Ardamerr wrote:
Hello all... I have an Ideal Standard tap the same as http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachments/trc-shed/18374d1326987066-getting-bathroom-tap-apart-ideal-standard-kingston-bath-taps-e6055-00019867s.jpg can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body should be removeable and if so how to do it? It appears to be 'solid'... The tap turns okay but no water... Any suggestions?

Richard.

The handle needs to come off, there will be a disc on top, they either
unscrew or prise off to reveal a screw.

Unscrew that, beat handle until it comes off - they are normally stuck.

Cloth & a pair of grips on tapered part, unscrew that to reveal the head
gear.

Remove that with spanner. Check the circlip at the top is still in
place, if so, remove it & tap shaft out.

Whats happened is that the shaft has unscrewed from the bit holding the
washer. Left hand thread. Screw it back in fully, replace circlip.

Or replace it. Wilkinsons & B&Q sell them cheaply & they are pretty
universal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ardamerr" wrote in message
Hello all... I have an Ideal Standard tap the same as
http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachments/trc-shed/18374d1326987066-getting-bathroom-tap-apart-ideal-standard-kingston-bath-taps-e6055-00019867s.jpg
can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body
should be removeable and if so how to do it? It appears to be 'solid'...
The tap turns okay but no water... Any suggestions?

Richard.

Most of them, the "buttons" on top (with H&C on) prise out and there is a
screw underneath to remove the handle.
Some have a grub screw on the side.

The chrome tapered bit just unscrews. Best done witha strap wrench otherwise
the chrome gets damaged with say pipe grips.

Underneath that is usually a hexagonal bit that again unscrews toacess the
washer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 12:33:21 UTC+1, Ardamerr wrote:
Hello all... I have an Ideal Standard tap the same as http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/attachments/trc-shed/18374d1326987066-getting-bathroom-tap-apart-ideal-standard-kingston-bath-taps-e6055-00019867s.jpg can anyone tell me if the tapered part on the upper part of the tap body should be removeable and if so how to do it? It appears to be 'solid'... The tap turns okay but no water... Any suggestions?

Richard.

I'm really very grateful to all... I have now done the job with your help.... I should perhaps mention for others who may experience the same difficulty that the shroud was absolutely solid due to 'limescale' -- I soaked about a 30cm length of linen cloth with 'Harpic' (slightly acid) and left it 'bandaged' around the lower part of the shroud for about an hour or so, also I squirted a small quantity of the same Harpic down the shaft and in contact with the inside of the shroud... The result was, within about one minute a 'bubble' reaction and frothing around the inside of the shroud... As I said, after about 60 - 70 minutes my wife was able to unscrew the shroud (in a clockwise direction) with just her fingers... So all is now well... A big 'thank you' to everyone...

Kindest regards... Richard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard.

The handle needs to come off, there will be a disc on top, they either

unscrew or prise off to reveal a screw.

Unscrew that, beat handle until it comes off - they are normally stuck.

Cloth & a pair of grips on tapered part, unscrew that to reveal the head

gear.

Remove that with spanner. Check the circlip at the top is still in

place, if so, remove it & tap shaft out.

Whats happened is that the shaft has unscrewed from the bit holding the

washer. Left hand thread. Screw it back in fully, replace circlip.

Or replace it. Wilkinsons & B&Q sell them cheaply & they are pretty

universal.

Thanks very much Dave for this explanation it was extremely instructive and helpful... Grateful thanks...

Richard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 19:30:13 UTC+1, Ardamerr wrote:
[...]

Oh! Dear... Oh! Dear... ABOVE, I SHOULD HAVE SAID 'As I said, after about 60 - 70 minutes my wife was able to unscrew the shroud (in an ANTI-clockwise direction) with just her fingers...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 19:42, Ardamerr wrote:
[...]

I don't think anyone actually said to turn the water off before
unscrewing the headgear. I assume you did this, otherwise you'd have got
very wet?!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 21:14, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I often change headgear with the water on!

All you need is a big towel & the ability to work quickly:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 21:14, Roger Mills wrote:

I don't think anyone actually said to turn the water off before
unscrewing the headgear. I assume you did this, otherwise you'd have got
very wet?!

I often change headgear with the water on!

All you need is a big towel & the ability to work quickly:-)

If you're replacing it with a new one, maybe. And, in your case, that's
probably cheapest for the customer.

But the rest of us are likely to dismantle the headgear, clean it up and
lubricate it, and then put it back.

I wouldn't fancy doing that with the water turned on!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 12:21, Roger Mills wrote:
On 30/04/2014 21:14, Roger Mills wrote:

I don't think anyone actually said to turn the water off before
unscrewing the headgear. I assume you did this, otherwise you'd have got
very wet?!

I often change headgear with the water on!

All you need is a big towel & the ability to work quickly:-)

If you're replacing it with a new one, maybe. And, in your case, that's
probably cheapest for the customer.

But the rest of us are likely to dismantle the headgear, clean it up and
lubricate it, and then put it back.

I wouldn't fancy doing that with the water turned on!

That could make you a trifle damp :-)