Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fibreglass van bodies....

Seen some car based van conversions with small "porthole" non-opening windows in the fibreglass sides.

How straightforward is it to blank off these so that from outside at least you wouldn't know they had been there?

Tia

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Merely because I prefer them without :-D

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/14 18:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active "JimK"
wrote in message
Seen some car based van conversions with small "porthole" non-opening
windows in the fibreglass sides.

How straightforward is it to blank off these so that from outside at least
you wouldn't know they had been there?

Tia

Jim K

fairly easy if you are handy at DIY and car spraying.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:02:38 -0700, JimK wrote:

Merely because I prefer them without :-D

The obvious answer would be to not buy a van with.

Anyway, what "car-derived van" are we talking about with glassfibre body
sides?

It _does_ have a full complement of wheels, right, Rodney?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

4 wheeled thanks trig ;-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2014 20:52, JimK wrote:
4 wheeled thanks trig ;-)

Did they do a van version of the Scimitar, then?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/14 18:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active "JimK"
wrote in message
Seen some car based van conversions with small "porthole" non-opening
windows in the fibreglass sides.

How straightforward is it to blank off these so that from outside at
least
you wouldn't know they had been there?

Tia

Jim K

fairly easy if you are handy at DIY and car spraying.

+1,

but it does depend a bit on how they have been made and how invisible
you want them to be.

For example, if they are perspex in double-U channelling, and you want
to lose the channelling then you are going to have to have a lap joint
at the back for strength.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:56:43 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

4 wheeled thanks trig ;-)

Did they do a van version of the Scimitar, then?

There was always the Kitten, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I wondered about that as well. I once saw one of those with what I can
only describe as stabilisers. Two like castors poking down just below the
front t each corner.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:02:38 -0700, JimK wrote:

Merely because I prefer them without :-D

The obvious answer would be to not buy a van with.

Anyway, what "car-derived van" are we talking about with glassfibre body
sides?

It _does_ have a full complement of wheels, right, Rodney?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This little round window was all the rage for a while. I seem to recall
Peugot were quite fond of those.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"JimK" wrote in message
4 wheeled thanks trig ;-)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not just find a really nice bit of artwork, and fit that over the hole?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 24/04/14 18:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active "JimK"
wrote in message
Seen some car based van conversions with small "porthole" non-opening
windows in the fibreglass sides.

How straightforward is it to blank off these so that from outside at
least
you wouldn't know they had been there?

Tia

Jim K

fairly easy if you are handy at DIY and car spraying.

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That circular painting, The Memory of Trees was always quite appealing when
I could see. a kind of vertical view up through the trees.
One on each side as a print would look nice.
grin.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 24/04/14 18:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active "JimK"
wrote in message
Seen some car based van conversions with small "porthole" non-opening
windows in the fibreglass sides.

How straightforward is it to blank off these so that from outside at
least
you wouldn't know they had been there?

Tia

Jim K

fairly easy if you are handy at DIY and car spraying.

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Why not just find a really nice bit of artwork, and fit that over the
hole?

What, like the goatse man... might work best with the porthole left in place
tho

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So what do you fill the hole with? Fibreglass body so shurely more fibreglass?

Can you buy it in sheets to cut to size and bond in?

If not what does one do?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:15:51 -0700, JimK wrote:

So what do you fill the hole with? Fibreglass body so shurely more
fibreglass?

Can you buy it in sheets to cut to size and bond in?

If not what does one do?

Glassfibre mat plus resin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:12:26 PM UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Seen some car based van conversions with small "porthole" non-opening windows in the fibreglass sides.

How straightforward is it to blank off these so that from outside at least you wouldn't know they had been there?

Poor carrying capacity though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How do you get a smooth outside finish after the matting? Body filler?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 08:50:00 -0700, JimK wrote:

How do you get a smooth outside finish after the matting? Body filler?

If you're doing the laying-up from the inside, then you start with a gel
coat which'll form the final finish, against some kind of a mould. That
_could_ be pretty much ready-to-go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mmm so if the panels with holes to fill are vertical how do you hold it all in until set?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 09:09:28 -0700, JimK wrote:

Mmm so if the panels with holes to fill are vertical how do you hold it
all in until set?

Roll the van onto it's side.

Or fix some kind of a mould/backing to the side of the van.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hehehe of course!:-)

I remember seeing A Car is Born or similar, where that Lucky git got to build a glass fibre racer kit thing. He tried (and failed dismally) to glass fibre a strut to the inside of a grp panel whilst it was vertical....

Jim K

03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 08:14 PM
GREEN k-bodies? Andy Woodworking 18 October 18th 06 08:04 PM
trade bodies for paving [email protected] UK diy 1 February 28th 05 03:40 PM