Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering versus crimping in resin filled joints

What does the panel think about using soldering rather than crimp connectors when assembling resin filled joints for SWA cable?

Judging by the threads on the IET forum, soldering is an acceptible method of connection - even the preferred method when more than two conductors are to be joined.

Strangely enough, the instructions in the third joint kit that I have shows screw connector blocks used to make the electrical connections - albeit with four Allen screws per circuit and supplies crimps in a variety of sizes rather than the screw terminal block. The final step in the instructions for this joint is to energise the circuit if carrying less than 1000V as soon as the resin is poured into the joint case. Why? The other two joints I have used don't include this step.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/14 23:09, RJS wrote:
What does the panel think about using soldering rather than crimp
connectors when assembling resin filled joints for SWA cable?

Judging by the threads on the IET forum, soldering is an acceptible
method of connection - even the preferred method when more than two
conductors are to be joined.

Switching up a notch to HV and LV high current joints in the road:

The current way involves non soldered joints and resin, but the old way
(like 30+ years back) was soldering[1] and fill with a pitch derived
type compound (perhaps more like pitchblend - melts but hard and brittle
when cold).

[1] by ladling hot solder over the joint, while live! (LV only, HV was
off and earthed).

Strangely enough, the instructions in the third joint kit that I have
shows screw connector blocks used to make the electrical connections
- albeit with four Allen screws per circuit and supplies crimps in a
variety of sizes rather than the screw terminal block. The final
step in the instructions for this joint is to energise the circuit if
carrying less than 1000V as soon as the resin is poured into the
joint case. Why? The other two joints I have used don't include
this step.

Can't answer the last bit...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJS" wrote in message

What does the panel think about using soldering rather than crimp
connectors when assembling resin filled joints for SWA cable?

Judging by the threads on the IET forum, soldering is an acceptible method
of connection - even the preferred method when more than two conductors are
to be joined.

Strangely enough, the instructions in the third joint kit that I have shows
screw connector blocks used to make the electrical connections - albeit
with four Allen screws per circuit and supplies crimps in a variety of
sizes rather than the screw terminal block. The final step in the
instructions for this joint is to energise the circuit if carrying less
than 1000V as soon as the resin is poured into the joint case. Why? The
other two joints I have used don't include this step.

TIA

Richard

Well if you do decide to solder, don't use 'lead free' or you'll be doing it
again in a few years when it cracks

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJS" wrote in message
What does the panel think about using soldering rather than crimp connectors
when assembling resin filled joints for SWA cable?

Judging by the threads on the IET forum, soldering is an acceptible method
of connection - even the preferred method when more than two conductors are
to be joined.

Strangely enough, the instructions in the third joint kit that I have shows
screw connector blocks used to make the electrical connections - albeit with
four Allen screws per circuit and supplies crimps in a variety of sizes
rather than the screw terminal block. The final step in the instructions
for this joint is to energise the circuit if carrying less than 1000V as
soon as the resin is poured into the joint case. Why? The other two
joints I have used don't include this step.

The advantages of crimping is it's quick. (The crimping tool is exensive and
once bought, you have to stay with the same make of crimps.)
The advantage of soldering is it's less likely to go wrong in the long term.
(And one set of tools covers all sizes and is useful for other things too.)

Can't think what advantage there would be in turning on power immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 08:09:51 UTC+1, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"RJS" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed 'lead free' solder seems to consist, largely, of devil's sputum.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 08:24:04 UTC+1, harry wrote:
"RJS" wrote in message

The advantages of crimping is it's quick. (The crimping tool is exensive and

once bought, you have to stay with the same make of crimps.)

The advantage of soldering is it's less likely to go wrong in the long term.

(And one set of tools covers all sizes and is useful for other things too.)

Can't think what advantage there would be in turning on power immediately.

Soldering would be my preferred method of jointing but just because I like it doesn't mean it's acceptible!

I'll exhume my 50W Weller and 'proper' solder.

Thanks

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2014 23:09, RJS wrote:

What does the panel think about using soldering rather than crimp
connectors when assembling resin filled joints for SWA cable?

Its certainly acceptable, although less commonly deployed in the field
since its not always easy to do in situ.

Judging by the threads on the IET forum, soldering is an acceptible
method of connection - even the preferred method when more than two
conductors are to be joined.

For permanent non accessible joins the regs permit soldering, crimping,
and welding. There are also commercial off the shelf "maintenance free"
connections designed for the purpose.

Strangely enough, the instructions in the third joint kit that I have
shows screw connector blocks used to make the electrical connections
- albeit with four Allen screws per circuit and supplies crimps in a
variety of sizes rather than the screw terminal block. The final
step in the instructions for this joint is to energise the circuit if
carrying less than 1000V as soon as the resin is poured into the
joint case. Why? The other two joints I have used don't include
this step.

Is this a "required" step - i.e. "now you must", or just a "now its ok to"?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJS wrote:
I'll exhume my 50W Weller and 'proper' solder.

For SWA?

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 17:33:20 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/04/2014 23:09, RJS wrote:

[...]

Hi John

I'm inclined to think that soldering in inaccessible locations is easier than crimping - and vice versa. But that's only based on making two of these joints - the first on a bench, the second in a hole in the ground!

I did ask my supplier for something to use in place of the crimps but they couldn't help.

No, the 'apply power' step wasn't couched in optional terms and, because of the 'less than 1000V' bit, suggests to me that it is mandatory.

Cheers

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 17:46:17 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

RJS wrote:

I'll exhume my 50W Weller and 'proper' solder.

For SWA?

--

*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Forgive me Dave: why not? Yes it is SWA (6.0 x 3) Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/14 17:53, RJS wrote:

Forgive me Dave: why not? Yes it is SWA (6.0 x 3) Richard

6mm2? Sounds about right...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 18:08:39 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/04/14 17:53, RJS wrote:

Forgive me Dave: why not? Yes it is SWA (6.0 x 3) Richard

6mm2? Sounds about right...

Er, sounds about right for what, Tim?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJS wrote:

I'll exhume my 50W Weller and 'proper' solder.

For SWA?

Forgive me Dave: why not? Yes it is SWA (6.0 x 3) Richard

Not man enough for the job, I'd say.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJS" wrote in message

The advantages of crimping is it's quick. (The crimping tool is exensive
and

once bought, you have to stay with the same make of crimps.)

The advantage of soldering is it's less likely to go wrong in the long
term.

(And one set of tools covers all sizes and is useful for other things
too.)

Can't think what advantage there would be in turning on power
immediately.

Soldering would be my preferred method of jointing but just because I like
it doesn't mean it's acceptible!

I'll exhume my 50W Weller and 'proper' solder.

A blow lamp is neccessary for power cables.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 18:33:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not man enough for the job, I'd say.

--

*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

As I am discovering :-(

2 x irons and a lot of burnt fingers :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 18:41:24 UTC+1, harry wrote:

A blow lamp is neccessary for power cables.

If I could prevent the 'collateral' damage to the insulation I'd use my Rothenberger torch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJS" wrote in message

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 18:41:24 UTC+1, harry wrote:

A blow lamp is neccessary for power cables.

If I could prevent the 'collateral' damage to the insulation I'd use my
Rothenberger torch.

Wet rags wrapped around the insulation was the way we used to do it when the
flame got too close. You can buy a magic jelly made for the purpose, but an
old flannel face cloth is about perfect

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2014 19:56, RJS wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 18:33:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not man enough for the job, I'd say.

As I am discovering :-(

2 x irons and a lot of burnt fingers :-)

Now you know what I mean about "not always easy to do in situ" ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.