Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default how long for concrete set?

Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:
Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.

Dry or wet mix? If dry, did you pack it in solid with a pummelling thingy?

If dry and yes, straight away.

If you used wet 6:1 I would give it 2-3 days as it's not a strong mix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 16/04/2014 21:17, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:
Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.

Dry or wet mix? If dry, did you pack it in solid with a pummelling thingy?

If dry and yes, straight away.

If you used wet 6:1 I would give it 2-3 days as it's not a strong mix.

It was wet, actually I will be using screws which should have less
impact on the posts (just me being melodramatic) but I will leave for 3
days in any case. I will use the three days to `paint` the slats and rails
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:
Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.

36 hrs in this wether

to be safe

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:
Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.

Dry or wet mix? If dry, did you pack it in solid with a pummelling
thingy?

If dry and yes, straight away.

If you used wet 6:1 I would give it 2-3 days as it's not a strong mix.

It was wet, actually I will be using screws which should have less
impact on the posts (just me being melodramatic) but I will leave for 3
days in any case. I will use the three days to `paint` the slats and rails

OK - If screws, and you are not going to dong the posts about
excessively, 24 hours...

It will be a solid mass by then, just not a very strong solid mass which
means if you start beating the posts up, you might just crack the block
and get a sloppy post.

Dry mix rammed solid is actually quite firm immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:
Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.

36 hrs in this wether

to be safe

Thanks for the info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:17:53 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:
Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.

Dry or wet mix? If dry, did you pack it in solid with a pummelling thingy?
If dry and yes, straight away.
If you used wet 6:1 I would give it 2-3 days as it's not a strong mix.

IME 6:1 has no strength until day 3, so at least that long.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:
Concreted in a few wooden posts today (4x4), self mix 6:1 how long
before I can put the rails on and start thumping nails in to them so I
dont loosen the posts.

Dry or wet mix? If dry, did you pack it in solid with a pummelling
thingy?
If dry and yes, straight away.
If you used wet 6:1 I would give it 2-3 days as it's not a strong mix.

IME 6:1 has no strength until day 3, so at least that long.

Screwing causes less shock than banging nails in.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/14 20:31, ss wrote:

It was wet, actually I will be using screws which should have less
impact on the posts (just me being melodramatic) but I will leave for 3
days in any case. I will use the three days to `paint` the slats and rails

keep adding water ... it will help the set, don't let it dry out

Once it goes away from 'green' its into 2nd stage ( 72 Hrs+)and you are
fine ... just don't go nut for at least 5 days.