Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cement board Qs

I want to build some containers from glass fibre cement board. I dont want something that cant cope with being outdoors all the time.

What can and cant last outdoors?

Where's cheapest to buy 6'x4' sheets? I'm down south.

What thickness would I need to foil idiots trying to bust it open? The first one will be 4'x4'x6'.

thanks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2014 21:48, Nick Odell wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 12:09:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, April 4, 2014 7:54:26 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 04/04/2014 19:45, harryagain wrote:
wrote in message
On Friday, April 4, 2014 3:59:17 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 04/04/2014 15:46,
wrote:

What thickness would I need to foil idiots trying to bust it open? The
first one will be 4'x4'x6'.

How thick are the idiots, and what tools will they have?

A random assortment I guess. If the thing can withstand unarmed
personal violence I tihnk that'll do for now.

Cement board is quite fragile, certainly wouldn't keep anyone out.
One tap with a hammer would break it.

+1,

bugger

I guess the cheapest strong thing might be corrugated iron. If that's
not acceptable aesthetically then how about 18 mm stirling board or
shuttering ply. Sufficient paint/varnish will make that weatherproof.

Corrie doesn't look accceptable. Wood boards are vulnerable to fire & easy to cut, and rot. I'm somewhat tempted to look at OSB3 + intumescent paint + scrap timber reinforcement, cant really thnik of anything better at the moment.

What about these ecosheets?
http://www.ecosheet-agri.co.uk/menu_page.php?id=51

They are intended for projects such as building pig arks so they
should put up with a lot of misuse.

Nick

They look interesting, with the obvious advantage over cement board that
the corners could be screwed. Hope they make it into the mainstream
market. Quite fancy them for plant troughs etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
What about these ecosheets?
http://www.ecosheet-agri.co.uk/menu_page.php?id=51

They are intended for projects such as building pig arks so they
should put up with a lot of misuse.

Nick

They look interesting, with the obvious advantage over cement board
that the corners could be screwed. Hope they make it into the
mainstream market. Quite fancy them for plant troughs etc

Google Stokbord.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 07:46:06 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

I want to build some containers from glass fibre cement board. I dont
want something that cant cope with being outdoors all the time.

What can and cant last outdoors?

Where's cheapest to buy 6'x4' sheets? I'm down south.

What thickness would I need to foil idiots trying to bust it open? The
first one will be 4'x4'x6'.

Just checking - do they need to be (trans)portable or will they be built
in situ and stay there long term?

There is also a suggestion that you want it to be fire resistant.

Steel (as used in cargo containers) seems to meet your requirements apart
from 'cheap'.

Oh, and of your 4*4*6 which is the vertical measurement?

Oh, and what kind of access do you require (hatch, door, lid off etc.).

Oh, and what sort of base are you planning to put these on?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Interesting as a cheaper version of stockboard, but ouch prices. A definite possibility - though currently I'm chasing relatively cheap used OSB sheet. If it is indeed OSB3 I reckon I'll go for those. Cheers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 5, 2014 11:24:49 AM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 07:46:06 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

I want to build some containers from glass fibre cement board. I dont
want something that cant cope with being outdoors all the time.
What can and cant last outdoors?
Where's cheapest to buy 6'x4' sheets? I'm down south.
What thickness would I need to foil idiots trying to bust it open? The
first one will be 4'x4'x6'.

Just checking - do they need to be (trans)portable or will they be built
in situ and stay there long term?

Either will do. Transportable would be a plus, but I think unworkable. Weights of designs looked at so far come in at anything from 50kg to 200kg. Cost is more important.

There is also a suggestion that you want it to be fire resistant.
Steel (as used in cargo containers) seems to meet your requirements apart
from 'cheap'.

Cheap is critical in this case.

Oh, and of your 4*4*6 which is the vertical measurement?

6' high

Oh, and what kind of access do you require (hatch, door, lid off etc.).

the front will be one large door

Oh, and what sort of base are you planning to put these on?

anything & everything. They'll have their own floor & fixing holes, and feet to keep them off wet surfaces.

My eyes are very much on used OSB at the moment, probably with intumescent paint.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2014 10:19, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , stuart noble
writes
What about these ecosheets?
http://www.ecosheet-agri.co.uk/menu_page.php?id=51

They are intended for projects such as building pig arks so they
should put up with a lot of misuse.

Nick

They look interesting, with the obvious advantage over cement board
that the corners could be screwed. Hope they make it into the
mainstream market. Quite fancy them for plant troughs etc

Google Stokbord.

Cheers, but this (from a farming forum) is a little worrying....
Expands by 2.5mm every m for every 10 degree temperature change. So a 20
degree change, it will expand by 12.5mm along the 8ft side and 6.25mm
along the 4ft side. It has the power to sheer tek screws too....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes

================================================= ====================
Expands by 2.5mm every m for every 10 degree temperature change. So a
20 degree change, it will expand by 12.5mm along the 8ft side and
6.25mm along the 4ft side. It has the power to sheer tek screws too....

Now you know why your plastic gutter has expansion provision:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
wrote in message

What about these ecosheets?
http://www.ecosheet-agri.co.uk/menu_page.php?id=51
They are intended for projects such as building pig arks so they
should put up with a lot of misuse.
Nick

Interesting as a cheaper version of stockboard, but ouch prices. A
definite possibility - though currently I'm chasing relatively cheap
used OSB sheet. If it is indeed OSB3 I reckon I'll go for those. Cheers.

Probably too big for your purpose but I have done several construction
jobs using Crittal grain bin sheets.

Galvanised steel, 'kin heavy; just about one man portable.

Usually fetch around £10/sheet second hand. The smallest I have used
makes an 8' x 8' bin including the corner pieces.

The top of the grain bins uses flat galvanised steel sheet with a folded
edge for stiffness. Around 8' x 3'. I have some of those festering on a
pallet under a log pile. You might be able to halve them and fold up a
fresh join or use L angle.

NT

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 2:12:39 PM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
writes
wrote in message
[...]

Google's being unhelpful, and I'm far from clear. Are these flat or corrugated? What size are they? Where should I look for them in quantity?

thank you, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2014 21:48, Nick Odell wrote:

What about these ecosheets?
http://www.ecosheet-agri.co.uk/menu_page.php?id=51

They are intended for projects such as building pig arks so they
should put up with a lot of misuse.

Yhey look like just what I need to replace the roofs on my small garden
tool cupboard and pond filter housing - both of which are currently made
of WPB covered with roofing felt, and both of which are disintegrating
because the felt has perished and let wet in.

Sadly, they only supply direct from Cornwall, and delivery costs a
minimum of £70 even if you only buy one 8 x 4 sheet.

Anyone any ideas as to what I could use, which would be more
weatherproof? I had wondered about cement board - but comments here
suggest that that may be too brittle.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 7, 2014 2:30:56 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/04/2014 21:48, Nick Odell wrote:

What about these ecosheets?
http://www.ecosheet-agri.co.uk/menu_page.php?id=51

They are intended for projects such as building pig arks so they
should put up with a lot of misuse.

Yhey look like just what I need to replace the roofs on my small garden
tool cupboard and pond filter housing - both of which are currently made
of WPB covered with roofing felt, and both of which are disintegrating
because the felt has perished and let wet in.
Sadly, they only supply direct from Cornwall, and delivery costs a
minimum of £70 even if you only buy one 8 x 4 sheet.
Anyone any ideas as to what I could use, which would be more
weatherproof? I had wondered about cement board - but comments here
suggest that that may be too brittle.

They're surely tougher than felt

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 04/04/2014 21:48, Nick Odell wrote:

What about these ecosheets?
http://www.ecosheet-agri.co.uk/menu_page.php?id=51

They are intended for projects such as building pig arks so they
should put up with a lot of misuse.

Yhey look like just what I need to replace the roofs on my small garden
tool cupboard and pond filter housing - both of which are currently made
of WPB covered with roofing felt, and both of which are disintegrating
because the felt has perished and let wet in.

Sadly, they only supply direct from Cornwall, and delivery costs a minimum
of £70 even if you only buy one 8 x 4 sheet.

Anyone any ideas as to what I could use, which would be more weatherproof?
I had wondered about cement board - but comments here suggest that that
may be too brittle.

The thicker ones that are used for wet areas like bathroom floors arent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Use some metal roofing.
You can get corrugated and box profile.
The roofing suppliers ofetn have off-cuts.
Besure to get the correct fixings and know where they go.

How do you cut cement board (hardy board) Ignoramus2298 Home Repair 11 December 1st 09 03:52 AM
Cement wall board J.Esam Home Repair 4 June 5th 07 09:08 PM
Hardibacker board vs Cement board for Garage/Mudroom shower. Jack Home Repair 9 September 16th 06 03:25 PM
Cement Backer Board on Cement Subfloor? [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 6th 05 01:38 AM
What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board? x071907 Home Repair 4 April 16th 04 11:04 PM