Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self repairing appliances

My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years.
I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits.
Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping
after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MattyF" wrote in message
My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years.
I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits.
Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping
after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Yes, but the best of them just execute the owner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MattyF writes:
My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years.
I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits.
Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping
after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Leaks can often seal themselves with crud and/or hard water scale.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Not like this, but Enterprise class computer systems have
been self-healing for decades, using designed-in redundancy.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No but in the case of the washing machine, I had one like this, it was a
Service. It apparently was prone to that leak due to the door hinges being a
bit weak and bendy. One day i walked into the open door. Ouch my shin, but
it never leaked again till it eventually died due to magic smoke emission.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"MattyF" wrote in message
My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years.
I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits.
Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping
after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Come come, we don't all own a Biko.
On the dishwasher, like the mechanical devices on older washing machines,
they do manage to jam sometimes due to debris built up on the gears etc.
Often a good thump moves the debris and it works again.
I don't have a dishwasher, I am the dishwasher.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"MattyF" wrote in message
My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years.
I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits.
Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping
after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Yes, but the best of them just execute the owner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MattyF expressed precisely :
Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Yes, they use nano technology. The nanos take a while to wake up, but
when the computor spots a developing fault, once it has manage to wake
up the nanos, off they go, scrrabbling down the wiring to fix the
faults.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Come come, we don't all own a Biko.
On the dishwasher, like the mechanical devices on older washing machines,
they do manage to jam sometimes due to debris built up on the gears etc.
Often a good thump moves the debris and it works again.

I don't have a dishwasher, I am the dishwasher.

Mad, its worse than clothes washing in some
ways because you need to do it roughly daily.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"MattyF" wrote in message
My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years.
I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to
bits.
Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping
after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Yes, but the best of them just execute the owner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"MattyF" wrote in message
My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years.
I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits.
Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going very well.

My 25 year old dishwasher was also leaking, and the dial was stopping
after a few minutes. Now it's working perfectly.

Do computerised appliances fix themselves like this?

Did you not hit them with a hammer?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2014 07:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Not like this, but Enterprise class computer systems have
been self-healing for decades, using designed-in redundancy.

That's not self healing, that's fault tolerance.

A bit like using your other hand when one gets tired. You run out of
hands in the end.

Andy

Appliances [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 18th 07 11:14 AM
LG Appliances [email protected] Home Ownership 17 November 16th 06 07:10 AM
CDA Appliances Ed_Zep UK diy 2 August 20th 06 06:31 PM
Who's who in appliances Stubby Home Repair 0 July 21st 06 08:20 AM
Uk appliances in US Barney Electronics Repair 7 April 13th 05 11:05 AM