Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default submersible pump question.

Need to empty a 50 ft well. Think this could be very difficult as
most pumps seem to operate to a max head of around 35 feet.

Guess it could be done with two pumps and a buffer tank at 25 feet.

However the question is some of these pumps are advertised as dirty
water devices and some (Aldi this week) can handle a max particle size
of 35mm. How does this work when the outlet is a 1 inch or 1.25 inch
fitting?

GrahamC

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham C used his keyboard to write :
Need to empty a 50 ft well. Think this could be very difficult as
most pumps seem to operate to a max head of around 35 feet.

Guess it could be done with two pumps and a buffer tank at 25 feet.

However the question is some of these pumps are advertised as dirty
water devices and some (Aldi this week) can handle a max particle size
of 35mm. How does this work when the outlet is a 1 inch or 1.25 inch
fitting?

It was probably suppposed to read 3.5mm..

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2014 21:16, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Graham C used his keyboard to write :
Need to empty a 50 ft well. Think this could be very difficult as
most pumps seem to operate to a max head of around 35 feet.

Guess it could be done with two pumps and a buffer tank at 25 feet.

However the question is some of these pumps are advertised as dirty
water devices and some (Aldi this week) can handle a max particle size
of 35mm. How does this work when the outlet is a 1 inch or 1.25 inch
fitting?

It was probably suppposed to read 3.5mm..

Agreed.

You want a borehole pump

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/borehole-pump

either "screw" type, or multi stage centrifugal. The "standard"
submersibles tend to be single stage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2014 21:42, newshound wrote:
either "screw" type, or multi stage centrifugal. The "standard"
submersibles tend to be single stage.

Just happened to be looking on Screwfix...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-90...ter-pump/58531

"Multistage submersible Pump"

Max delivery height 36m it says in the manual they link to.

Now all I have to do is find the well. It's here somewhere, it's marked
on the old OS maps!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham C" wrote in message
Need to empty a 50 ft well. Think this could be very difficult as
most pumps seem to operate to a max head of around 35 feet.

Guess it could be done with two pumps and a buffer tank at 25 feet.

However the question is some of these pumps are advertised as dirty
water devices and some (Aldi this week) can handle a max particle size
of 35mm. How does this work when the outlet is a 1 inch or 1.25 inch
fitting?

GrahamC

---
protection is active.

Google for borehole pumps.
Ordinary de-warering pumps are singe stage/impellor.
A borehole pump has multiple impellors, you can get tem run up to 500psi, ie
a depth of a thousand feet.

They are water cooled and you may have to install it in a pipe a little
larger than the pump to force the water through the motor on some desigens.

Some hang on a rigid pipe, others have a plastic pipe and hang on a
stainless steel cable.

It will need water sensing switches/control system, it must never run dry.
It must not rest on the bottom of the well (to keep the crud out of it) it
must be suspended .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 20/03/2014 21:42, newshound wrote:
either "screw" type, or multi stage centrifugal. The "standard"
submersibles tend to be single stage.

Just happened to be looking on Screwfix...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-90...ter-pump/58531

"Multistage submersible Pump"

Max delivery height 36m it says in the manual they link to.

Now all I have to do is find the well. It's here somewhere, it's marked on
the old OS maps!

If it's old, it may need clearing out.

Do NOT go down the well without air test, there may be carbon dioxide or
methane down there.
Esp. if the well is covered, ie not ventilated.
People have died.

Also people may hve used it to discharge nasty stuff down there in the past.
Drains can leak into them, also agricultural waste (****)
On the other hand it may be fit to drink
It needs pumping for a while and then the water testing
But good way of saving money these days. Well worth investigating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2014 10:15, harryagain wrote:
If it's old, it may need clearing out.

Do NOT go down the well without air test, there may be carbon dioxide or
methane down there.
Esp. if the well is covered, ie not ventilated.
People have died.

Also people may hve used it to discharge nasty stuff down there in the past.
Drains can leak into them, also agricultural waste (****)
On the other hand it may be fit to drink
It needs pumping for a while and then the water testing
But good way of saving money these days. Well worth investigating.

Well, I ...errm I'll start that again.

The house is 17th century and I assume the well is the same vintage.
However as the water table is currently about a foot down I doubt
there's much air in there to poison me with. I'd already decided the
best thing was to drop the blower side of my big vacuum down there. But
thanks for the warning anyway.

I really want it to keep the pond topped up, and to water the garden if
we get a dry year. For the latter a bit of organic material wouldn't hurt.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I thought you said you hadn't found it yet?
All will depend on how fast the water runs in to replace what you pump out.
As you pump, the level will fall until eqilibrium is reached (ie it's
running in as fast as you pump it out.)
As you pump more and the level falls more, it runs in faster.
If you exceed the speed it can run in, the well will be pumped dry & will
have to be left until it refills.

Only test pumping can tell you what's what.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2014 16:27, harryagain wrote:
I thought you said you hadn't found it yet?

It's marked on the 6-inch OS map from 1950. It can't have gone far

Next door tell me that we have a right to use it (and the other next
door has a right from us). The newer of these houses is only about 20
years old.

snip
Only test pumping can tell you what's what.

True. Though if I'm topping up a leaky pond it'll end up back in the
well anyway

Andy