Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External Security Light with LEDs

My external Security Light has finally given up the ghost and needs to be
replaced.

Its got a 300 Watt halogen bulb in it, which was dead handy for illuminating
the back of the house if i needed to be doing something out there and it was
a bit dark.

I thought i would try to get a replacement that uses LEDs, instead of a
Halogen Bulb. One that approximated the 300 Watt Halogen Bulb light-output
would be ideal.

Does anyone know if there is a fairly decent Security Light now on the
market that would do this, and have a similar lightoutput ? Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 08:13:55 -0000, "P Bentley"
wrote:

My external Security Light has finally given up the ghost and needs to be
replaced.

Its got a 300 Watt halogen bulb in it, which was dead handy for illuminating
the back of the house if i needed to be doing something out there and it was
a bit dark.

I thought i would try to get a replacement that uses LEDs, instead of a
Halogen Bulb. One that approximated the 300 Watt Halogen Bulb light-output
would be ideal.

Does anyone know if there is a fairly decent Security Light now on the
market that would do this, and have a similar lightoutput ? Thanks

The only 300w equivalent that I know of is a Steinel XLED25 but it is
a bit expensive.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STXLED25EVOB.html
I looked at them some time ago but given the likely operating savings
against initial cost I went for their HS500W fitting
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STHS500W.html with a 230/300w
halogen lamp.
Steinel kit is well made and reliable given my experience with their
sensors over many years.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My external Security Light has finally given up the ghost and needs to be
replaced.

Its got a 300 Watt halogen bulb in it, which was dead handy for illuminating
the back of the house if i needed to be doing something out there and it was
a bit dark.

I thought i would try to get a replacement that uses LEDs, instead of a
Halogen Bulb. One that approximated the 300 Watt Halogen Bulb light-output
would be ideal.

Does anyone know if there is a fairly decent Security Light now on the
market that would do this, and have a similar lightoutput ? Thanks

The only 300w equivalent that I know of is a Steinel XLED25 but it is
a bit expensive.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STXLED25EVOB.html

CPC were punting their range the other day:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/690757.xml

The 50W is on special offer if you use this link:

http://emarketing.premierfarnell.com...39542/l/216883

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"P Bentley" wrote in message
My external Security Light has finally given up the ghost and needs to be
replaced.

Its got a 300 Watt halogen bulb in it, which was dead handy for
illuminating the back of the house if i needed to be doing something out
there and it was a bit dark.

I thought i would try to get a replacement that uses LEDs, instead of a
Halogen Bulb. One that approximated the 300 Watt Halogen Bulb light-output
would be ideal.

Does anyone know if there is a fairly decent Security Light now on the
market that would do this, and have a similar lightoutput ? Thanks

www.coopersofstortford.co.uk Search for 'LED Motion Light'
I've had one mounted outside for 6 months now.
£10.00 and excellent value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

P Bentley wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a fairly decent Security Light now on the
market that would do this, and have a similar lightoutput ? Thanks

I used two Lloydtron 30W ones from CPC in order to get the coverage I
wanted, and I've used a fair few of the 10W ones, and they've all been
absolutely fine.

One point is that the beam of light is extremely wide, so you can mount
these lights close to the target area.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:

"P Bentley" wrote:

My external Security Light has finally given up the ghost and needs
to be replaced. Its got a 300 Watt halogen bulb

www.coopersofstortford.co.uk Search for 'LED Motion Light'

With the best will in the world, I don't see an AA powered LED matching
a 300W halogen ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Always amazed how many 300 - 500 watt floodlights are poorly situated and
aimed. People try to illuminate the air with them! (This group excepted of
course)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote:

"P Bentley" wrote:

My external Security Light has finally given up the ghost and needs
to be replaced. Its got a 300 Watt halogen bulb

www.coopersofstortford.co.uk Search for 'LED Motion Light'

With the best will in the world, I don't see an AA powered LED matching a
300W halogen ...

He said it's what it's got - not what it needs.
How many people need a 300 Watt halogen to light their drive ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2014 08:13 P Bentley wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a fairly decent Security Light now on the
market that would do this, and have a similar lightoutput ?

I've used these

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-flood-li...avaliable.html

with these

www.screwfix.com/p/180-standalone-pir/36316