Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safe zones and wiring through walls

I am planning a kitchen extension on the back of the house and going
through the seemingly ever-increasing list of aspects to consider. The
current issue is that relating to supplying power (hob/oven, socket ring
main, lighting and smoke alarm interconnect).

The most feasible route in to the extension is likely to be within the
ceiling of the adjoining room (or beneath the floor of the upstairs if
you'd prefer). However, given the pitched roof of the extension, this
will mean that the wiring will enter the extension approximately two-
thirds up the wall before rising up to the ceiling for distribution.

I was wondering where this leaves me with regards to the 'safe zones' for
concealed wiring? I am assuming I will simply be outside them (note this
won't be near the corner) between the egress point and the ceiling and so
what to do?

My initial thoughts are that I could either i) arrange it such that the
wires are at least 50mm beneath the finished surface (e.g. plasterboard
on 50mm batons), or ii) locate a wiring accessory such as a 1G blanking
plate at the ceiling thus providing a safe zone below encompassing the
incoming wires. I did also consider iii) ensuring all circuits are
covered by an RCD but short of putting RCBO's in for everything I wasn't
keen on this given the potential for nuisance/dangerous tripping.

Any other ideas, or correction to my interpretation of the regs?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

My initial thoughts are that I could either i) arrange it such that the
wires are at least 50mm beneath the finished surface (e.g. plasterboard
on 50mm batons), or ii) locate a wiring accessory such as a 1G blanking
plate at the ceiling thus providing a safe zone below encompassing the
incoming wires. I did also consider iii) ensuring all circuits are
covered by an RCD but short of putting RCBO's in for everything I wasn't
keen on this given the potential for nuisance/dangerous tripping.

Any other ideas, or correction to my interpretation of the regs?

You can give it mechanical protection from nails/screws, needs to be
more substantial than just 0.5mm galvanised capping, seems 3mm steel is
deemed acceptable

http://blog.sparksdirect.co.uk/wiring-regulations-for-domestic-installations-nails-walls-and-earthing

cable turn 90 degrees in safe zones ? sm_jamieson UK diy 3 April 12th 11 10:14 PM
wiring safe zone - external corner sm_jamieson UK diy 2 December 31st 10 12:29 AM
wiring zones Staffbull UK diy 10 September 26th 06 10:45 AM
Rubber Wiring - Safe or Unsafe? Harry UK diy 20 February 5th 06 02:49 PM
Loop-in wiring and Ikea lights (safe?) Matthew Clement UK diy 5 November 4th 03 07:40 AM