Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating beneath bedroom floorboards.

Bog standard north London semi (Laing built) Bay fronted with tiles
on battens between upper and lower windows.

Having lifterd some carpet in the bedroom, I realise how cold the
floorboards are. Is it possible or advisable to put some insulation
between the ground floor ceiling and the bedroom floorboards? Seems
to be quite a draft between the two. Or is the draft keeping
everything dry? Joist direction is front to back.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack wrote:
Bog standard north London semi (Laing built) Bay fronted with tiles
on battens between upper and lower windows.

Having lifterd some carpet in the bedroom, I realise how cold the
floorboards are. Is it possible or advisable to put some insulation
between the ground floor ceiling and the bedroom floorboards? Seems
to be quite a draft between the two. Or is the draft keeping
everything dry? Joist direction is front to back.

TIA

You could try some of that super foil stuff. one layer on the ceiling
and one under the floor boards to still give plenty of ventilation.

If you have underlay and carpet in the bedroom then possibly just foil
over the ceiling will do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2014 19:10, Jack wrote:
Bog standard north London semi (Laing built) Bay fronted with tiles
on battens between upper and lower windows.

Having lifterd some carpet in the bedroom, I realise how cold the
floorboards are. Is it possible or advisable to put some insulation
between the ground floor ceiling and the bedroom floorboards? Seems
to be quite a draft between the two. Or is the draft keeping
everything dry? Joist direction is front to back.

TIA

There's no reason not to. It's long been standard practice where living
space is above a built-in garage. And when I converted a built-in garage
to a kitchen, the BCO insisted on keeping the rockwool - for sound
rather than thermal insulation.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:10:12 PM UTC, Jack wrote:
Bog standard north London semi (Laing built) Bay fronted with tiles

on battens between upper and lower windows.

Having lifterd some carpet in the bedroom, I realise how cold the

floorboards are. Is it possible or advisable to put some insulation

between the ground floor ceiling and the bedroom floorboards? Seems

to be quite a draft between the two. Or is the draft keeping

everything dry? Joist direction is front to back.

TIA

There shouldn't be a draught beyween the ground floor ceiling and the first floor. It doesn't need ventilating because it is part of the warm space of the house. So I would find out where the draught is coming from, and stop it.

If you insulate in there, it will stop some heat rising from below, so the ground floor rooms will retain heat better, but the bedroom might be colder. If you have central heating it's not going to make a lot of difference.

The usual reasons to insulate between floors are for sound insulation, and in the case of loft conversions, for fire prevention. Rockwool type acoustic insulation is usual.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 3, 2014 10:48:22 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Mostly this comes from air bricks. The problem is the draught coming up

through the boards. Good fitted carpets will stop this I'd imagine.

Brian

Air bricks, "between the ground floor ceiling and the bedroom floorboards"?

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The cold is probably coming through the tiles between the two bay windows, if it's anything like the bay we had at the last house which was just a timber frame between the windows with under-felt, battens, slates to the outside and just plasterboard on the inside. It was bloody cold and the radiator hung there struggled to heat the area. The best solution if yours is a similar construction, although it involves losing a bit off your bay floor area is to build a studded dwarf wall leaving at lest 25mm air gap to the existing wall, I would remove any existing plasterboard to aid ventilation. Insulate between the studs with Rockwool bats or Kingspan foam. Take the insulation below floor level, so you will have to shorten the floor boards. Then put a vapour barrier on the inside again taking it below floor level. The vapour barrier need only be polystyrene sheet but make sure you seal any gaps vapour getting through will condense on any cold surface and that could cause rot. Finally replace plasterboard and fit new window boards. That made a hell of a difference at our place.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for the replies.

insulating under floorboards on battens RobertL UK diy 1 September 25th 12 08:34 PM
Insulating a bedroom Fred UK diy 9 January 8th 10 09:09 PM
Insulating between plasterboard ceiling and floorboards Stephen[_6_] UK diy 13 January 7th 09 09:44 PM
Mid two story, two bedroom terrace. What are the main requirements for converting attic to 3rd bedroom? Tez UK diy 7 March 6th 06 11:31 AM
Insulating floor of bedroom above garage Gelf UK diy 6 March 25th 05 01:28 AM