Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pillar drill problems.

I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.
However the handle rotates around the drive pinion when the drill bit
contacts the work. Appears to be ok under no load.

Have been on to Sealeys tech dept. It is missing a small pin which they can
no longer get hold of.

Here is a link to a photo which shows the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg

It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is
no corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"mark" writes:
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.
However the handle rotates around the drive pinion when the drill bit
contacts the work. Appears to be ok under no load.

Have been on to Sealeys tech dept. It is missing a small pin which they can
no longer get hold of.

Here is a link to a photo which shows the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg

It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is
no corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.

Is that a blind hole in the shaft?
I was wondering if it had a spring loaded pin or ball which engages
with an internal blind hole inside the socket?
Otherwise, I'm struggling to see how it was meant to work.

Another option might be to ignore that, and hammer it together
with something like a piece of paper to jam the two pieces
together.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote:

... Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no corresponding
hole in the hub of the handle.

Am I being thick? What's to stop you drilling one? Or is the idea of
having some bolt or whatever pass through the spline and hub too ugly?

Temporarily you could use something other than the three-spoke handle to
control the pinion/spline assembly and make the drill usable.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 12:25, mark wrote:
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.
However the handle rotates around the drive pinion when the drill bit
contacts the work. Appears to be ok under no load.

Have been on to Sealeys tech dept. It is missing a small pin which they can
no longer get hold of.

Here is a link to a photo which shows the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg

It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is
no corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.

You should be able to get a roll pin to fit, although you will probably
need to buy a pack to get just the one you want. For example:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255228

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
in message nvalid...
"mark" wrote:

... Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no corresponding
hole in the hub of the handle.

Am I being thick? What's to stop you drilling one?

Need a pillar drill!

Or is the idea of
having some bolt or whatever pass through the spline and hub too ugly?

That is an option but not my first choice. There is a sort of collar, not
shown which fits over this joint which is marked, to make a depth gauge.
I would have to lose that to accomodate a bolt

Temporarily you could use something other than the three-spoke handle to
control the pinion/spline assembly and make the drill usable.

Agreed.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 13:12, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/02/2014 12:25, mark wrote:
[...]

Just noticed you say there in no corresponding hole in the handle. If
so, it is probably either not the original handle or the pin has sheared
and part of it is left in the handle hub. In the first case, you can
drill a hole for the pin, although, presumably, not using the pillar
drill. In the second, locate the stub of the pin and knock it out.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.

Here is a link to a photo which shows the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg

It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There
is
no corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.

Is that a blind hole in the shaft?

It goes right through.

I was wondering if it had a spring loaded pin or ball which engages
with an internal blind hole inside the socket?

The socket is parallel and smooth inside. No indents. I think if it did have
indents to acommodate a sprung loaded pin it would be tricky to assemble and
nigh impossible to dismantle.

Otherwise, I'm struggling to see how it was meant to work.

Me too!

Another option might be to ignore that, and hammer it together
with something like a piece of paper to jam the two pieces
together.

I will try that with thin foil. The parts fit together very snugly so much
so that there is a 'pop' when pulled apart. If there's no room for foil I'll
try super glue.

Thanks

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
news
It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no
corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg

While there's no hole visible on the outside, there must
presumably be a hole somwhere on the inside surface
for the missing pin to engage with.

Other than drilling a hole through both sides of the hub
to accomodate a nut and bolt, all that's needed is a short
length of compression spring (ebay) and a pin of appropriate
length and diameter so you can compress the spring and the pin
sufficient to slide the hub over the shaft until the pin goes
into the hole.

The only downside being that disassembly would be a lot more
difficult if not impossible.

michael adams

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 12:50, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
wrote:

... Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no corresponding
hole in the hub of the handle.

Am I being thick? What's to stop you drilling one?

The lack of a working pillar drill? g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 12:47, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"mark" writes:
[...]

And/or heavy duty loctite. I'm with Colin, the handle is probably not
original. Roll pin is perhaps the council of perfection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote:

... Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no corresponding
hole in the hub of the handle.

Am I being thick? What's to stop you drilling one?

Need a pillar drill!

Reminds me when a wire came unsoldered in my soldering iron...

(I used a screwdriver heated up on the stove.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote:

... Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no corresponding

hole in the hub of the handle.

Am I being thick? What's to stop you drilling one?

Need a pillar drill!

Or is the idea of

having some bolt or whatever pass through the spline and hub too ugly?

That is an option but not my first choice. There is a sort of collar, not

shown which fits over this joint which is marked, to make a depth gauge.

I would have to lose that to accomodate a bolt

given the handle is likely a 3rd party one, would the depth gauge actually be worth saving (IOW if it went together as you want, would it actually "work"?)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 13:32, newshound wrote:

And/or heavy duty loctite. I'm with Colin, the handle is probably not
original. Roll pin is perhaps the council of perfection.

Yes, a roll pin would be best. If it's a tight fit in the shaft so as to
stay put (the hole in the handle can be clearance) and of a suitable
length, it can be driven in far enough not to stick out and get in the
way of a depth gauge like a bolt and nut would.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
news
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.

I would find it difficult to believe that the handle is anything but
original.
It all looks the same age, chrome finish and fits together perfectly.

Here is a link to a photo showing the depth gauge fitted. It can be adjusted
so you can drill multiple holes all the same depth without over or under
drilling so worth keeping I think.
Also shows shaft hole and smooth socket.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k30a76c126...drillclose.jpg

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Yes, a roll pin would be best. If it's a tight fit in the shaft so as to
stay put (the hole in the handle can be clearance) and of a suitable
length, it can be driven in far enough not to stick out and get in the way
of a depth gauge like a bolt and nut would.

If it comes to that, a bolt (or rod) that's shorter than the diameter of the
present hub will do, if the depth-thing collar that then fits around the
whole thing would stop the bolt/rod from falling out.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
news
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.

I would find it difficult to believe that the handle is anything but
original.
It all looks the same age, chrome finish and fits together perfectly.

Here is a link to a photo showing the depth gauge fitted. It can be adjusted
so you can drill multiple holes all the same depth without over or under
drilling so worth keeping I think.
Also shows shaft hole and smooth socket.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k30a76c126...drillclose.jpg

mark

Just drill the hole through the handle and put a roll pin in as already
suggested shorten slightly below surface so that depth gauge fits over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 14:07, mark wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
news
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.

I would find it difficult to believe that the handle is anything but
original.
It all looks the same age, chrome finish and fits together perfectly.

Here is a link to a photo showing the depth gauge fitted. It can be adjusted
so you can drill multiple holes all the same depth without over or under
drilling so worth keeping I think.
Also shows shaft hole and smooth socket.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k30a76c126...drillclose.jpg

You could try this company's claim to have the largest range of Sealey
spares:

http://www.ccw-tools.com/page.asp?id=spares

Even if they don't have the part, they might have an exploded view that
shows what you need.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"mark" wrote in message
news
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.
However the handle rotates around the drive pinion when the drill bit
contacts the work. Appears to be ok under no load.

Have been on to Sealeys tech dept. It is missing a small pin which they
can no longer get hold of.

Here is a link to a photo which shows the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg

It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is
no corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.

mark

I reckon that the Pin was fitted before it was plated. Most probably tack
welded or hammered in and smoothed over. And it sheared off inside. Have a
good feel around inside, be careful of splinters. Or Clean up the outside
and have a better look.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 19/02/2014 14:07, mark wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks Colin
Will look at that site. Roll pin looks like the way to go.

The parts drawing from Sealey shows it but doesn't come close to being
helpful:
Part No 17

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdr5pvdezp...2013.49.13.png

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
mark wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
news
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive
pinion/shaft.

I would find it difficult to believe that the handle is anything but
original.
It all looks the same age, chrome finish and fits together perfectly.

Here is a link to a photo showing the depth gauge fitted. It can be
adjusted
so you can drill multiple holes all the same depth without over or under
drilling so worth keeping I think.
Also shows shaft hole and smooth socket.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k30a76c126...drillclose.jpg

mark

Just drill the hole through the handle and put a roll pin in as already
suggested shorten slightly below surface so that depth gauge fits over.

I will, thanks.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
wrote in message
On 19/02/2014 14:07, mark wrote:

wrote in message
news I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
[...]

That shows there is a hole in the collar. Look for the end piece of
sheared pin inside the collar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
news
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.
However the handle rotates around the drive pinion when the drill bit
contacts the work. Appears to be ok under no load.

Have been on to Sealeys tech dept. It is missing a small pin which they
can no longer get hold of.

Here is a link to a photo which shows the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg

It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is
no corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.

Probably had a roll pin fitted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_pin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 13:22, mark wrote:
[...]

Some of the threadlocking compounds will make a "slip fit" permanent
(ish - you can separate them again by heating)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 15:38, mark wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 19/02/2014 14:07, mark wrote:

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

That looks like it is a pin with a thread at one end. That suggests that
the only evidence of the pin, which it seems has almost certainly
sheared, would be a single entry point, with a screwdriver slot in the
end of the pin. If, as it appears, the screw for holding the depth
marker is at about the same point, over enthusiastic tightening of that
could have burred over the end of the pin, disguising the slot. You
should have another, very close, look at the handle, both inside and
out, for evidence of the pin.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On my Lidl one, you remove the locking screw for the depth position
indicator and then have access to an allen grub screw which locks the
handle to shaft (via the threaded hole in the indicator body).

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
"mark" wrote:

... Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no corresponding
hole in the hub of the handle.

Am I being thick? What's to stop you drilling one?
Need a pillar drill!

Reminds me when a wire came unsoldered in my soldering iron...

You only have one soldering iron? What kind of DIYer are you?

I think I've only got one - the 8 oz size:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/solderin...225g-621-10647

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote:

... Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is no corresponding
hole in the hub of the handle.

Am I being thick? What's to stop you drilling one?

Need a pillar drill!

Or is the idea of
having some bolt or whatever pass through the spline and hub too ugly?

That is an option but not my first choice. There is a sort of collar, not
shown which fits over this joint which is marked, to make a depth gauge.
I would have to lose that to accomodate a bolt

How about, you drill and tap a hole in the outside bit, and use a grub
screw to tighten it to the inner bit (missing the existing hole)? You
might need a small access hole in the collar as well to get to the screw
of course.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark formulated on Wednesday :
"mark" wrote in message
news
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.

It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.

I would find it difficult to believe that the handle is anything but
original.
It all looks the same age, chrome finish and fits together perfectly.

Here is a link to a photo showing the depth gauge fitted. It can be adjusted
so you can drill multiple holes all the same depth without over or under
drilling so worth keeping I think.
Also shows shaft hole and smooth socket.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k30a76c126...drillclose.jpg

mark

One part fitting could be coincidence, but two suggests it is the
correct handle.

There absolutely must have been a pin of some sort through the two
parts, maybe it was a solid pin rather than a roll pin, which is why
you cannot see it, but a pin there had to be. Try looking closely with
a lens. When you find it, it should just punch out. A roll pin might
not have been strong enough, given the leverage, which why they used a
solid pin.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:25:12 PM UTC, mark wrote:

I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time.
It is a Sealey SDM90.
It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft.
However the handle rotates around the drive pinion when the drill bit
contacts the work. Appears to be ok under no load.
Have been on to Sealeys tech dept. It is missing a small pin which they can
no longer get hold of.
Here is a link to a photo which shows the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z2fkk5vxs...l%20Handle.jpg
It is not a morse taper. Hole goes through the end of the spline. There is
no corresponding hole in the hub of the handle.
mark

Piece of paper, job done.

NT

Pillar Drill Recommendation Rob[_27_] UK diy 6 July 13th 10 10:05 PM
Bench Pillar Drill Chris J Dixon UK diy 34 January 26th 09 07:18 PM
Pillar Drill TheOldFellow UK diy 8 January 31st 07 11:03 AM
New Pillar Drill Conked... RzB UK diy 13 December 5th 05 01:03 PM
Pillar Drill and hole saw jg UK diy 17 August 12th 05 11:46 PM