Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smiths Copyswitch and GU10 LEDs

Smiths/Timeguard Copyswitch controlling a 4 X GU10 lamp fitting.

When I replace all 4 GU10s with LED GU10s they all flash when they should be off.

If I replace one LED with a halogen GU10 - all is well.

Presume some "minimum load" has been fallen short of... any fixes?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

When I replace all 4 GU10s with LED GU10s they all flash when they should be off.

If I replace one LED with a halogen GU10 - all is well.

Induced voltage. CFL lamps do it as well.

When the single GU10 filament lamp is in, all the power goes through
that, and heats up the filament very slightly, but not visible to the
eye.

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

--

Adam

/Q

Coo how's it do it? Whatever it does? ;-)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2014 19:53, Jim K wrote:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

Coo how's it do it? Whatever it does? ;-)

It's just a capacitor, possibly with a shunt bleeder resistor for safety
and possibly with a small series resistor to reduce peak currents and
save the switch contacts.

Wired across the lights it will present a low impedance in comparison
with the leakage path through the stray capacitance in the wiring and
any semiconductor switch (triac). Hence the voltage appearing across
the lights when switched off will be too small to lead to any flickering
effects or the like.

It's a useful item to know about, with wider application then just the
Smiths/Timeguard products. Flickering CFLs, unwanted illumination of
neon indicators, etc.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
On 13/02/2014 19:53, Jim K wrote:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

Coo how's it do it? Whatever it does? ;-)

It's just a capacitor, possibly with a shunt bleeder resistor for safety
and possibly with a small series resistor to reduce peak currents and save
the switch contacts.

Wired across the lights it will present a low impedance in comparison with
the leakage path through the stray capacitance in the wiring and any
semiconductor switch (triac). Hence the voltage appearing across the
lights when switched off will be too small to lead to any flickering
effects or the like.

It's a useful item to know about, with wider application then just the
Smiths/Timeguard products. Flickering CFLs, unwanted illumination of neon
indicators, etc.

I would have thought that it was just a cap and resistor in series. I must
buy one to see what is inside them. I have used similar things in the past
on boiler Y plans.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ta for responses.

So is it something about the copyswitch or the wiring?

Ta
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Er.... If you plse

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jim K" wrote in message
Er.... If you plse

The switch

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 19:46:25 UTC, wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

Er.... If you plse

The switch

--

Adam

cheers
never use the fecker anyway so it's time it went - anyone?

Jim K

Smiths Timer TS1000 jezza UK diy 8 June 29th 14 03:16 AM
Smiths torches? Larry Jaques[_4_] Metalworking 0 June 7th 11 05:19 PM
Smiths torches? Brian Lawson Metalworking 0 June 5th 11 01:46 PM
Ancient Smiths timer for outside lights Tim Walters UK diy 27 September 22nd 09 09:38 PM
Smiths timer switch Douglas de Lacey UK diy 8 February 13th 06 09:43 PM