Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loudspeaker finish.

Have a couple of '80 speakers in teak veneer. Both the top surfaces have
some marks - the sides etc are fine. I'd say the tops would sand down ok -
the damage is mainly to the lacquer or whatever.

What sort of clear coat would match the original best? I'd call it a satin
finish. Because the area is small perhaps aerosol?

--
*Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 11:07:30 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Have a couple of '80 speakers in teak veneer. Both the top surfaces have
some marks - the sides etc are fine. I'd say the tops would sand down ok -
the damage is mainly to the lacquer or whatever.

What sort of clear coat would match the original best? I'd call it a satin
finish. Because the area is small perhaps aerosol?

If it was a general, commercial product then I suspect they were
probably sprayed with a melamine finish; if a high-end product my
guess would be French polish. You can soon find out: melamine is
pretty impervious to most things while French polish will soften in
contact with alcohol such as methylated spirits.

The problem with teak is that it contains oils which interfere with
the curing and hardening of many finishes. If your spray varnish is
acrylic, you might get away with it, if cellulose then you might not.
Best to spray a small sample in a hidden area and see if it cures
okay. My approach with oily woods like teak is to apply a sealing coat
of shellac (the basis of French polish) and then continue with the
finishing coats on top. Which, in my case, may or may not be more
shellac!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a couple of '80 speakers in teak veneer. Both the top surfaces have
some marks - the sides etc are fine. I'd say the tops would sand down ok -
the damage is mainly to the lacquer or whatever.

What sort of clear coat would match the original best? I'd call it a satin
finish. Because the area is small perhaps aerosol?

I've used clear dope in the past - model shop stuff.

That's best if the original was in cellulose lacquer

but 1980s some of the newer acrylics were coming in.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Loudspeaker query Jim S UK diy 4 December 16th 12 05:54 AM
Loudspeaker polarity N_Cook Electronics Repair 13 December 27th 08 10:19 AM
DIN loudspeaker socket Dave Plowman (News) Electronics Repair 0 June 18th 07 01:43 PM
DIN loudspeaker socket n cook Electronics Repair 0 June 18th 07 12:48 PM
loudspeaker repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 March 28th 06 10:43 PM