Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My Makita 18v Ni-Cd Drill-driver just died

Had just slapped in a re-charged battery - the motor spun for a second and then nothing. Could it be the carbon brushes? No experience of repairing electric motors, and everything seems to be 'disposable' these days... Thanks for any suggestions....Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A sure sign that the brushes are going is excessive sparking prior to failure. Did you experience that?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 24, 2014 11:55:34 PM UTC, wrote:
Had just slapped in a re-charged battery - the motor spun for a second and then nothing. Could it be the carbon brushes? No experience of repairing electric motors, and everything seems to be 'disposable' these days... Thanks for any suggestions....Peter

Thanks John - mine doesn't seem to have those - suppose I will have to crack open the body - do you think brushes are the likely culprit? Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Had just slapped in a re-charged battery - the motor spun for a second
and then nothing. Could it be the carbon brushes? No experience of
repairing electric motors, and everything seems to be 'disposable' these
days... Thanks for any suggestions....Peter

Thanks John - mine doesn't seem to have those - suppose I will have to
crack open the body - do you think brushes are the likely culprit? Peter

This any good?
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/how-to-cha...l-driver-a1329

If not, try searching with the model number, thus:
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=replacin...drill+driv er

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure it's not the battery that's at fault?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 02:12:11 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Are you sure it's not the battery that's at fault?

- or the charger?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 24, 2014 11:55:34 PM UTC, wrote:
Had just slapped in a re-charged battery - the motor spun for a second and then nothing. Could it be the carbon brushes? No experience of repairing electric motors, and everything seems to be 'disposable' these days... Thanks for any suggestions....Peter

Thanks for suggestions. The thing was not sparking, and went from running well to nothing. The batteries and charger are ok I think. Perhaps something has failed in the gearbox - if there is such a thing? Will check brushes first though...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Had just slapped in a re-charged battery - the motor spun for a second and
then nothing. Could it be the carbon brushes? No experience of repairing
electric motors, and everything seems to be 'disposable' these days...
Thanks for any suggestions....Peter

1) Check voltage at battery terminals.. 18v is a clue. No voltage means dead
cell of broken link wire, or charger kaput. Check output on charger.
If charger has a tell tale LED for charging what is it doing when you
insert the battery ? (Read the legend on the charger for details of LED
status lights)
2) Check the terminals inside the drill for the battery, not uncommon for a
link lead to break away.
3) Shell cases are easy to work with, BUT Makita have the chuck held on with
a left hand threaded screw usually at the base of the chuck inside, you
*might* need to remove this first to open the case.
4) There is a thermal overload inside, in 30 years I've never changed one,
but have had issues with brushes sticking
5) You may need to drill through the side of the casing behind the chuck
with a 4mm drill through to the chuck spindle to put a dowel into the hole
to hold the spindle still while you remove the screw in the chuck (This is a
proper Makita technique)
6) If the chuck turns by hand and you can see the commutator turning there
is nothing wrong with the gearbox (If twin speed type drill)
7) Did I mention I have been Makita trained ;-)

Makita drill driver died Piers UK diy 4 September 30th 13 09:40 AM
Makita drill and impact driver PeterC UK diy 12 August 11th 10 01:53 PM
Makita DF010DSE 7.2v Pencil Drill Driver review The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 December 7th 09 06:17 PM
Which Makita cordless drill/driver? [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 26th 08 09:07 AM
Makita drill driver deal david lang UK diy 5 January 24th 06 08:29 PM