Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When to strip a gate

Hello.

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2014 09:32, WeeBob wrote:
Hello.

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)

Thanks.

If you can get back to bare wood, I'd strongly recommend a wood
hardener. Should give you another 20 years!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a shame you cannot take this into shelter, as at this time of year, even
when its dry, the dew or frost can allow moisture in. However since you say
the paint is already chipping, it could be that its semi waterlogged
already.
If you can get it indoors fro a few days it would help I think in whatever
you decide to do with it. Wood hardener seems to work despite some water
ingress, but you need to check out for really spongy bits, unlikely with
that wood hopefully, after all they made ships out of it!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 24/01/2014 09:32, WeeBob wrote:
Hello.

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)

Thanks.

If you can get back to bare wood, I'd strongly recommend a wood hardener.
Should give you another 20 years!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"WeeBob" wrote in message
Hello.

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)

Thanks.

Oak doesn't actually need to be painted but if you do it will need to be
dry.
Best bet is to bring it indoors if possible &let dry out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2014 09:43, harryagain wrote:
"WeeBob" wrote in message
Hello.

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)

Thanks.

Oak doesn't actually need to be painted but if you do it will need to be
dry.
Best bet is to bring it indoors if possible &let dry out.

For once, I agree with Harry. I'm about to paint two gates and they will
be spending a week indoors first.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"WeeBob" wrote in message
Hello.

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)

Thanks.

Oak doesn't actually need to be painted but if you do it will need to be
dry.
Best bet is to bring it indoors if possible &let dry out.

For once, I agree with Harry. I'm about to paint two gates and they will
be spending a week indoors first.

Colin Bignell

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"WeeBob" wrote in message
Hello.

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)

Thanks.

Oak doesn't actually need to be painted but if you do it will need to be
dry.
Best bet is to bring it indoors if possible &let dry out.

For once, I agree with Harry. I'm about to paint two gates and they will
be spending a week indoors first.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Are you suggesting that as a target for Harry to achieve?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2014 10:00, Nightjar wrote:
For once, I agree with Harry. I'm about to paint two gates and they will
be spending a week indoors first.

Only a week?

Might need more in this weather, unless you're going to lock them in a
small room with a dehumidifier.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2014 23:11, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/01/2014 10:00, Nightjar wrote:
For once, I agree with Harry. I'm about to paint two gates and they will
be spending a week indoors first.

Only a week?

Might need more in this weather, unless you're going to lock them in a
small room with a dehumidifier.

Mine are newly built and don't need much drying out.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:06:07 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

Mine are newly built and don't need much drying out.

All seems a bit pointles to me, once outside the moisture content
will be going up and down like a yo-yo with the seasons. Ok the
timber doesn't want to be damp, FSVO "damp", when painted. One would
normally "aclimatise" timber by keeping it in the place it is going
to be used for a week or so. Are these inside gates?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 24, 2014 9:32:30 AM UTC, WeeBob wrote:
Hello.
I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.
Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?
(It'll take me more than a day to get the paint off.)
Thanks.

I'd have it unpainted. Oak's fine like that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jan 2014 11:51:43 GMT, Huge wrote:

I'd have it unpainted. Oak's fine like that.

My unpainted oak 5-bar gate is now well over 20 years old and still
going strong.

Our unpainted but tanellised softwood gates are fine after around 10
years. The one made at the same time with the same treatment but is
painted has some rot. Probably a combination of closing adjacent to a
step and being painted. The bottom of the vertical rails can't dry
out well enough.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jan 2014, WeeBob grunted:

I have a big old oak gate that was painted black about 20 years ago, and
the paint is now flaking off. My plan is to strip it all off and paint
again, or seal etc. depending on how much of the paint I can clear.

Question, given there maybe more rain to come, is this a job I can start
now (if Saturday is clear), or should I wait for a long period of dry
weather?

Well according to the firm of pro decorators who've this week been painting
the exterior of a shop that's being refurbished near here, you should just
go for it now.

I walk past this shop each morning on the way in to work. It was a right
state; most of the paint peeled off, lots of rotten woodwork etc. It's
been ****ing it down most of the week, however notwithstanding that, this
lot have prepped it, filled all the holes etc, and painted all the masonry
and woodwork. Looks really nioe, and am sure the customer will be pleased
(for a while, anyway!)

--
David

O/T Strip Down Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 4 May 1st 13 03:58 PM
LED light strip D.M. Procida UK diy 4 December 9th 12 10:57 AM
Edging strip ? Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 8 July 18th 12 10:05 PM
Dark strip on LCD... Deke[_6_] Electronics Repair 11 April 3rd 12 05:03 AM
Strip Mantle? j34m Home Repair 3 December 12th 06 12:06 AM