Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A lie by any other name?

Is it a lie to rearrange possibly factual information to create a
misleading impression of a product in comparison with others?

I've just come across advertising for Fischer Future Heat storage
heaters and have found material that appears to push potentially
vulnerable individuals towards solutions that may cost them more than
they realise.

There are so many bent marketing ploys in place that it seems a shame to
list them all at once. Instead I'd invite people to peruse the website
and quote anything they find misleading.

Here's one for starters:

In a section that purports to compare gas and oil central heating with
their plug-in storage heating products they instead make a comparison
with inefficient open flue gas fires:

"Gas or oil central heating systems

Gas fires are the most inefficient way of heating. To get 1KW of heat
from a typical fire you need to burn 2.5 to 3KW of gas. With a typical
gas price of 3p this equates to 9p per KWH with huge waste through
chimneys or flue."

from:

http://www.fischer-futureheat.co.uk/gas-and-oil.html

Just the sort of tone and delivery that could confuse the vulnerable.

Other lies available at:

http://www.fischer-futureheat.co.uk

The main point is, if you have any vulnerable relatives, it might be a
good idea to advise them to be wary of TV advertised products that may
not be altogether what they seem.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/14 14:29, fred wrote:
Is it a lie to rearrange possibly factual information to create a
misleading impression of a product in comparison with others?

Its not a lie, but it IS worth reporting to the advertising standards
authority.

It costs nothing and even if you don't get a judgement, the mere fact of
reporting it may cause the offending website or material to be modified.

[...]

I.e. all of them?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its not a lie, but it IS worth reporting to the advertising standards
authority.

It costs nothing and even if you don't get a judgement, the mere fact of
reporting it may cause the offending website or material to be modified.

Absolutely agreed. I have made several reports over the years. One in
particular did get taken further - even continuing across Europe. (Mind,
I still don't know the final result!)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2014 14:29, fred wrote:
Is it a lie to rearrange possibly factual information to create a
misleading impression of a product in comparison with others?...

A number of misleading practices are an offence under The Consumer
Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. There is a guide to the
Regulations he

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...gs/oft1008.pdf

If you think that they have been breached, you should report it to
Trading Standards.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit like the old ploy when selling amplifiers of saying up to 40
watts music power.
Up To and Music power basically mean it can produce enough power to just
about hear it, but no more than 40 watts and even then, probably very
distorted as the psu can't run it very ong!

Brian

Email:

"fred" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

Hopefully any senior citizen will have their suspicions aroused by the poor
spelling. I mean, "loosing" for losing and "maintainance" for maintenance.
I'm sure there will be many other examples on other pages.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2014 18:49, Tim+ wrote:
Hopefully any senior citizen will have their suspicions aroused by the poor
spelling. I mean, "loosing" for losing and "maintainance" for maintenance.
I'm sure there will be many other examples on other pages.

Assuming that they are any better at spelling (and/or typing) than half
the people who contribute to the internet! I do agree that someone
advertising should be expected to take more care, but if their readers
don't appreciate that it is badly spelled, I am not surprised that they
do not.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred explained :
[...]

Wasn't this the same company that tried to suggest that their storage
heaters were more efficient than other companies storage heaters?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)