Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sanders

What is the difference between the different sort of sanders?

I am looking at
http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb...-101283-ocs-c/

In particular, what is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander? (Other than that one is rectangular, and the
other circular.)

I understand what a belt sander and a detail sander are.

I have two applications in mind:
- Touching up the worn oak floor in the living room
- Sanding down the stair case I am currently stripping (preparatory to
repainting).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern. Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:40:06 PM UTC, mike wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:
What is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins
and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern.
Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

Thanks.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander

Yes. That helps a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 16:08, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:40:06 PM UTC, mike wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:
What is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins
and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern.
Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

Thanks.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander

Yes. That helps a lot.

Martin,

I have a 5" Random Orbital if you want to give one a try. Basically the
same as the METABO SXE450.

Andrew May

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a 5" Random Orbital if you want to give one a try. Basically the

same as the METABO SXE450.

I've got the Metabo SXE450, and I'd also recommend it. Capable of being a kitten or a tiger, and has happily put up with being pushed hard. 150mm punched discs are readily available, and the polishing bonnet useful too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:49:20 PM UTC, Andrew May wrote:

I have a 5" Random Orbital if you want to give one a try. Basically the
same as the METABO SXE450.

You have mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 16:08, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:40:06 PM UTC, mike wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:
What is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins
and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern.
Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

Thanks.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander

Yes. That helps a lot.

Random orbital sanders are brilliant. Put a 40 grit disc on & they
remove stock almost like a belt sander, put a 120 grade disc on & they
give a fine finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 16:08, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:40:06 PM UTC, mike wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:
What is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins
and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern.
Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

Thanks.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander

Yes. That helps a lot.

Random orbital sanders are brilliant. Put a 40 grit disc on & they
remove stock almost like a belt sander, put a 120 grade disc on & they
give a fine finish.

What I am keen to try is one of the so called dual action sanders...
they look like a RO sander, but have both a powered orbit and a
(selectable) powered rotation mode rather than the rotation just coming
about as a side effect of the orbit. They are apparently popular in car
body shops etc (where they also make good polishers).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 19:43, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Yep, I've used one before but for car polishing. Very effective it was too.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...prod_1099.html

--
Dawood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 16:08, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:40:06 PM UTC, mike wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:
What is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins
and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern.
Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

Thanks.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander

Yes. That helps a lot.

Random orbital sanders are brilliant. Put a 40 grit disc on & they
remove stock almost like a belt sander, put a 120 grade disc on & they
give a fine finish.

I'd second that. I bought one to re-finish oak worktops and wouldn't
bother trying anything else on a large flat surface. Mine's a cheapo
(B&Q PP) but if I had known ho good the format would be, I woul have got
a decent one.

Detail, of course, is another matter.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 15:40, mike wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern. Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander

Not to sure about the comment 'first produced in 1982' ... think they
have been about longer than that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/16/2014 11:50 AM, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 16/01/2014 15:40, mike wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:07:05 PM UTC, Martin Bonner wrote:

An orbital sander goes round in a circle while a random orbit spins
and follows an ellipse at the same time, producing a petal pattern.
Imagine connecting an orbital sander to a Spirograph.

The Wikipeida page explains it quite well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander

Not to sure about the comment 'first produced in 1982' ... think they
have been about longer than that

I believe you're correct - my Dad died in 1977, and I have his
random-orbit sander.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 15:07, Martin Bonner wrote:
What is the difference between the different sort of sanders?

Comparisons he
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/sander.htm

I am looking at
http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb...-101283-ocs-c/

In particular, what is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander? (Other than that one is rectangular, and the
other circular.)

I understand what a belt sander and a detail sander are.

I have two applications in mind:

- Touching up the worn oak floor in the living room

Random Orbit or belt probably

- Sanding down the stair case I am currently stripping (preparatory to
repainting).

RO and detail sander..

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
In particular, what is the difference between an orbital sander, and a
random orbital sander? (Other than that one is rectangular, and the
other circular.)

A random orbit one will do pretty well everything an orbital will do - but
so much better.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

random orbit sanders and 1/2 sheet orbital sanders Stephen[_6_] UK diy 11 September 3rd 09 11:05 AM
random orbit sanders and 1/2 sheet orbital sanders RubberBiker UK diy 0 August 30th 09 02:04 PM
Sanders warbler Woodworking 7 July 28th 06 01:06 PM
sanders [email protected] UK diy 9 March 24th 05 02:50 PM
sanders gary Woodworking 3 January 26th 05 03:39 PM