Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good old polystyrene tiles!

Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them up
easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd look
really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of course!)
year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:32:50 PM UTC, Another John wrote:

Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them up
easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd look
really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of course!)
year after year!
So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.
I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?
Cheers
John

Plasterboard. Use PB screws, and fill the gaps with filler. Done. No need for a horrid bodge really.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Another John wrote:
Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them up
easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd look
really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of course!)
year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

artex?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:32:50 PM UTC, Another John wrote:
I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

Americans have vinyl ceiling tiles, which replicate the 'tin' tiles used for fireproof ceilings in the '20s and '30s, which can either be dropped into a suspended grid or glued to the ceiling, and have a smooth finish.

http://www.ceilingtilesbyus.com/stor...ing-edges.html

Unfortunately the only vinyl faced plasterboard tiles I can find in the UK are intended for use in suspended grid, which would look a bit naff in my lounge.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/14 19:32, Another John wrote:
Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them up
easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd look
really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of course!)
year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

Cheers
John

Actually T & G varnished, is pretty nice...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:41:54 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/01/14 19:32, Another John wrote:

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days
"a disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

Actually T & G varnished, is pretty nice...

but a fire risk

Not sure it is if fitted on top of plaster? If used to replace plaster,
very likely.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:32:50 PM UTC, Another John wrote:

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer

Why not? Price up the alternatives, get a quite from a good plasterer, and decide whether the difference is worth it for avoiding the faff, and getting a proper job. Nothing looks better on a wall or ceiling than a fresh skim..

Cheers
Richard

If you are reading this from Google Groups, please be aware this is not a forum, and you are using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block posters coming from web portals, because they haven’t come to terms with the obsolescence of the phonograph.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 07:44, geraldthehamster wrote:
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:32:50 PM UTC, Another John wrote:

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer

Why not? Price up the alternatives, get a quite from a good plasterer, and decide whether the difference is worth it for avoiding the faff, and getting a proper job. Nothing looks better on a wall or ceiling than a fresh skim.

Cheers
Richard

If you are reading this from Google Groups, please be aware this is not a forum, and you are using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block posters coming from web portals, because they haven’t come to terms with the obsolescence of the phonograph.

I'd second that, although it does depend on knowing a good plasterer.
Took me years to find one but the work he has done for me over the past
couple of years has been the best value (cost/outcome) of any work I
have ever paid anyone to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:36:02 PM UTC, GMM wrote:
On 16/01/2014 07:44, geraldthehamster wrote:

If you are reading this from Google Groups, please be aware this is not a forum, and you are using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block posters coming from web portals, because they haven�t come to terms with the obsolescence of the phonograph.

I'd second that, although it does depend on knowing a good plasterer.
Took me years to find one but the work he has done for me over the past
couple of years has been the best value (cost/outcome) of any work I
have ever paid anyone to do.

I've still got plenty of vinyl, and a few 78s somewhere, so maybe he's right

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 07:44, geraldthehamster wrote:
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:32:50 PM UTC, Another John wrote:

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer

Why not?....

Because doing so would require destroying the kitchen and refitting it.
Life is too short.

And in article ,
GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I'd second that [i.e. whatgeraldthehamster said], although it does depend on knowing a good plasterer.
Took me years to find one but the work he has done for me over the past
couple of years has been the best value (cost/outcome) of any work I
have ever paid anyone to do.

I agree with both of you: nothing beats a nice plastering job. But the
mess is apocalyptic, and only justified by a complete kitchen re-fit.
Now if I were 30 again...

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
On 16/01/2014 07:44, geraldthehamster wrote:
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:32:50 PM UTC, Another John wrote:

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer

Why not?....

Because doing so would require destroying the kitchen and refitting
it. Life is too short.

And in article ,
GMM GlMiMa-AT-yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I'd second that [i.e. whatgeraldthehamster said], although it does
depend on knowing a good plasterer. Took me years to find one but
the work he has done for me over the past
couple of years has been the best value (cost/outcome) of any work I
have ever paid anyone to do.

I agree with both of you: nothing beats a nice plastering job. But the
mess is apocalyptic, and only justified by a complete kitchen re-fit.
Now if I were 30 again...

I don't know what plasterers you've witnessed but I've plastered hundreds of
kitchen ceilings, and living room ceilings and bedroom ceilings, with no
mess whatsoever, nor did anyone move anything from any of those rooms before
I started.
The dustsheets I use are a fine polythene film on a roll 3m wide, this is
taped to the wall an inch down from the ceiling and covers everything
including worktops, floor, cupboards and everything else...it takes 30
minutes to sheet up, but this saves 2 hours cleaning up afterwards.
An average kitchen ceiling like yours (I'd guestimate 12m2) would take me
less than half a day and use about a tenner's worth of stuff...expect to pay
about £80.
Whatever you buy to bodge it again will probably cost you more than that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

I don't know what plasterers you've witnessed but I've plastered hundreds of
kitchen ceilings, and living room ceilings and bedroom ceilings, with no
mess whatsoever, nor did anyone move anything from any of those rooms before
I started.
The dustsheets I use are a fine polythene film on a roll 3m wide, this is
taped to the wall an inch down from the ceiling and covers everything
including worktops, floor, cupboards and everything else...it takes 30
minutes to sheet up, but this saves 2 hours cleaning up afterwards.
An average kitchen ceiling like yours (I'd guestimate 12m2) would take me
less than half a day and use about a tenner's worth of stuff...expect to pay
about £80.
Whatever you buy to bodge it again will probably cost you more than that

Bloody hell. I'll get a quote.

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer
Why not?....

Because doing so would require destroying the kitchen and refitting it.

No it wouldn't. We had our kitchen ceiling replastered without "destroying
the kitchen and refitting it."

For some reason, Huge, I see you sitting in a vast farmhouse kitchen,
flagged on the floor, AGA muttering away 24/7/52, a table 10'x4',
surrounded by a variety of characterful wooden chairs, used regularly by
a variety of frequent visitors from the surrounding area, tromping in
with their dogs and muddy boots, ancient cupboards lining the walls,
over equally venerable (precious) worktops and units, and a moderately
high ceiling...

Dunno why I think that, but anyway, our titchy kitchen, with the units
coming within 6" of the ceiling would have to be (at least partly)
disassembled for a plasterer to get to work.

Much as I am in favour of the Plasterers' Preservation Society. (Not
that plasterers will ever be out of a job!)

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I cannot believe that nobody makes ceiling tiles any more. I'm sure I've
seen them. I still have the poly ones, erm, but not in a kitchen for obvious
reasons. I thought they were slightly heavier, but still around and no
doubt would look nice.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Another John" wrote in message
]...
Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them up
easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd look
really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of course!)
year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I cannot believe that nobody makes ceiling tiles any more. I'm sure I've
seen them.

Google agrees

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber =412316

no doubt would look nice.

you seem to have mis-spelled naff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 09:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I cannot believe that nobody makes ceiling tiles any more. I'm sure I've
seen them.

Google agrees

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber =412316

At truly rip-off prices. I had to buy some from them last autumn, as I'd
lost the ones from the top of our tortoise box.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 19:32, Another John wrote:
Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them up
easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd look
really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of course!)
year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

Cheers
John

Suspended ceiling .... or pine t&g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them
up easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd
look really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of
course!) year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

You can use upvc coverboard.
It's hollow, white, comes in 5m lengths and 300mm widths for about £15.
Sticks on fairly easily with caulk or silicone, you may need a pin here or
there which will be hidden as it's T&G.
I've got it on my bathroom walls, covering some horrid old tiles, and also
on my kitchen ceiling covering some horrid varnished T&G timber

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 15:00, Phil L wrote:
Another John wrote:
Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them
up easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd
look really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of
course!) year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

You can use upvc coverboard.
It's hollow, white, comes in 5m lengths and 300mm widths for about £15.
Sticks on fairly easily with caulk or silicone, you may need a pin here or
there which will be hidden as it's T&G.
I've got it on my bathroom walls, covering some horrid old tiles, and also
on my kitchen ceiling covering some horrid varnished T&G timber

How fashions change. Wood is horrid and pvc is good!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Polystyrene ceiling tiles: I used to love 'em! You could stick them up
easily, instantly hide a disastrous ceiling plaster job, they'd look
really neat, and you could paint them white (emulsion only of course!)
year after year!

So .... it's time to cover our kitchen ceiling, which is these days "a
disastrous ceiling plaster job". Also the bathroom ceiling.

I DON'T want to have to call in a plasterer, so is there any sort of
solution which is as easy and as effective as the good old p.c.t.s?

I have in the past used acoustic tiles to cover a ceiling which
had previously had polystyrene tiles (with very hard adhesive) on
top of artex, but they were quite expensive - actually pretty
close to what a skim would have cost.

IIRC they were the same sort of tiles that can be used in
suspended ceilings, but sticking them direct was fine, using the
nominated (also expensive) adhesive.

The tiles remained for about 10 years until a complete kitchen
refit. This time the entire ceiling was brought down (partly to
allow an extractor duct to be fitted) and re-plastered.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.