Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot Water leak

My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect it !

The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

Any ideas on how to track the leak down ?

--
Enviado desde mi iPhone6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fergus O'Rourke" wrote:
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect it !

The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

Any ideas on how to track the leak down ?

Silly question perhaps, but how do you know? Do you mean your CH system or
do you mean your HW supply to your taps?

Is the HW header tank ball valve running all the time? Is the tank
overflowing?

Some clarification needed.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect
it !
The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

The second sentence is virtually identical to the first, and neither give a
clue as to what you are talking about.

Any ideas on how to track the leak down ?

No because you typed two identical and nonsensical statements, followed by a
question,
in a similar vein to:

"Foor wet.
Feet wet.
What do?"

What hot water?
Stored hot water in a cylinder?
Tank?
CH system?
How often is it leaking?
Have you checked outside overflows?
Do you live in a house or a flat?
Combi or sealed sytem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect
it !
The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

The second sentence is virtually identical to the first, and neither give
a clue as to what you are talking about.

OK. Point taken

What hot water?
Stored hot water in a cylinder?
Tank?
CH system?

My system is a conventional system. The hot water being lost is not the CH
system water

How often is it leaking?

All the time, as far as I can tell

Have you checked outside overflows?

Yes, and the sewers.

Do you live in a house or a flat?

House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2014 17:16, Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect
it !
The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

Possibly a silly question, but, if you have nothing coming out of the
tank overflows, nothing untoward flowing down any of the drains, and no
suspicious puddles, what makes you think there's a leak?

Can you hear running water with all the taps turned off? Have you tried
putting a stick in contact with all the pipes in turn and listening for
the sound of flowing water? With all the taps turned off, any pipe with
hot water flowing through it will not cool as rapidly as one where the
water isn't flowing, so feel the temperatures of all the pipes. The
warmest one half an hour after all the taps are turned off is likely to
be the one with the leak.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fergus O'Rourke
writes
"Phil L" wrote in message
Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect
it !
The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

The second sentence is virtually identical to the first, and neither give
a clue as to what you are talking about.

OK. Point taken

What hot water?
Stored hot water in a cylinder?
Tank?
CH system?

My system is a conventional system. The hot water being lost is not the CH
system water

How often is it leaking?

All the time, as far as I can tell

If you've not yet found a leak, how have you determined that you are
losing hot water?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fergus O'Rourke" wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect
it !
The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

The second sentence is virtually identical to the first, and neither give
a clue as to what you are talking about.

OK. Point taken

What hot water?
Stored hot water in a cylinder?
Tank?
CH system?

My system is a conventional system. The hot water being lost is not the CH
system water

How often is it leaking?

All the time, as far as I can tell

Unless this is just a wind up (which is seeming increasingly likely) you're
really going to have to give us some clues as to WHY you think you have a
leak. Where's your evidence?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fergus O'Rourke" wrote in message
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect it !

The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

Any ideas on how to track the leak down ?

--
Enviado desde mi iPhone6

What do you mean by "lost"?
How do you know it is being lost?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Look for steam?

Or perhaps listen for trolls under the bridge?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None visible.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Look for steam?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Fergus O'Rourke" wrote in message
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect it !

The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

Any ideas on how to track the leak down ?

--
Enviado desde mi iPhone6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nice spot of trolling.
Let me be the first to tell you to **** off.

"Fergus O'Rourke" wrote in message
None visible.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Look for steam?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Fergus O'Rourke" wrote in message
My hot water system is leaking badly somewhere, but I cannot detect it !

The water is being lost but I can find no sign of where it is going.

Any ideas on how to track the leak down ?

--
Enviado desde mi iPhone6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 18:19, Mr Pounder wrote:
Nice spot of trolling.
Let me be the first to tell you to **** off.

We may end up as material for his blog:-

www.irish-lawyer.com/

Seems quite opinionated on the basis of not a lot of information. We
might want to watch what we type here.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 07:58, Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
None visible.

You've still not told us why you are so certain you have a hot water
leak. You say that you can't find any water coming out of the system
where it shouldn't, and you've not told us the result of the checks it
was suggested that you make to locate a hidden leak.

If you are hearing a pressure booster pump repeatedly cycling, then it's
very likely that the pump has a leaky non-return valve, but as you've
told us precisely nothing about the system concerned, that's pure
speculation.

In effect, you've told us that you're holding a piece of string and are
now expecting us to tell you how long it is.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

water leak TMC[_2_] UK diy 6 October 14th 11 07:48 PM
water leak in trackway - utility water or spring water? how to tell? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 7 January 13th 11 02:15 PM
water pressure reducing valves and a water leak Stephen[_6_] UK diy 7 April 20th 09 04:17 PM
how to dry out after water leak? mike UK diy 5 May 14th 07 10:37 AM
Water leak :( Nibbled water tank? Neil UK diy 25 November 3rd 06 11:59 PM