Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Pan connector collar - help!!

This is for a 1970-built house. I bought a toilet pan connector, but it
comes nowhere near fitting the current arrangement.

Here are some pictures:

http://tinypic.com/m/hx4590/2

http://tinypic.com/r/zx8752/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ojqof6/5

(There are actually two toilets pictured, one that's failed and one
that's still working.)

The pan has an outlet with a diameter of 4 3/8" (4.375")

The soil pipe looks like it might be a standard 4" one, but it has a
bend and enlargement to around 5.5" diameter. It's all in solvent weld
plastic.

The pan slots into the enlarged bit, with a black rubber collar round it
- see the pictures. There are no seals inside the pipe.

Does anyone know where to get the black collar from, or even what it's
called? I could go back to scratch, cut most of the the pipe off, and
go from there. But that's a bit drastic, compared to simply fitting a
new collar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes

Does anyone know where to get the black collar from, or even what it's
called? I could go back to scratch, cut most of the the pipe off, and
go from there. But that's a bit drastic, compared to simply fitting a
new collar.

This will do if you're just under 5 1/2" on the big end (will do 136mm):

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p54240

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

This is for a 1970-built house. I bought a toilet pan connector, but it
comes nowhere near fitting the current arrangement.

The pan has an outlet with a diameter of 4 3/8" (4.375")

The soil pipe looks like it might be a standard 4" one, but it has a
bend and enlargement to around 5.5" diameter. It's all in solvent weld
plastic.

The usual thing to do is cut off the old outlet pipe and fit a new one,
without the large collar piece.
Or, buy an extender piece, shove that into the old pipe, cut it to size
(before or after, whichever is easier), then fit the pan connector you
have bought.
Looking at yours, I'd be cutting off the old one completely, you may get
away with using one of these:
http://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/mcalpine-90-degree-rigid-pan-connector---40005076-457-p.asp
--
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
[...]

Dunno, I has something like that dating from probably the 60/70's -
though I had a white rubber bit IIRC. Presumably the equivalent of the
modern pan connector. I just cut my pipe back and used a modern pan
connector. The pipe upto the widedend end seemed to be standard soil
pipe size.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:41:20 +0000 Gb wrote :
This is for a 1970-built house. I bought a toilet pan connector, but it
comes nowhere near fitting the current arrangement.

Here are some pictures:

http://tinypic.com/m/hx4590/2

http://tinypic.com/r/zx8752/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ojqof6/5

(There are actually two toilets pictured, one that's failed and one
that's still working.)

The pan has an outlet with a diameter of 4 3/8" (4.375")

The soil pipe looks like it might be a standard 4" one, but it has a
bend and enlargement to around 5.5" diameter. It's all in solvent weld
plastic.

Yes, I installed a few of those back then - Osma, and they did different
size grommets to fit in the socket. Alan's solution is the way to go -
cut off the elbow and use a 90 pan connector.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/01/2014 21:08, Tony Bryer wrote:

Yes, I installed a few of those back then - Osma, and they did different
size grommets to fit in the socket. Alan's solution is the way to go -
cut off the elbow and use a 90 pan connector.

Thanks all for confirming what I feared I had to do. $*&^%$£"!!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 07/01/2014 21:08, Tony Bryer wrote:

Yes, I installed a few of those back then - Osma, and they did different
size grommets to fit in the socket. Alan's solution is the way to go -
cut off the elbow and use a 90 pan connector.

Thanks all for confirming what I feared I had to do. $*&^%$£"!!!!

Ity's not that hard :-)

Mine was ina bit of an awkward position. After sawing it off I did find
a multitool useful for trimming it more neatly

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/01/2014 15:20, chris French wrote:
In message , GB
writes
On 07/01/2014 21:08, Tony Bryer wrote:

Yes, I installed a few of those back then - Osma, and they did different
size grommets to fit in the socket. Alan's solution is the way to go -
cut off the elbow and use a 90 pan connector.

Thanks all for confirming what I feared I had to do. $*&^%$£"!!!!

Ity's not that hard :-)

Mine was ina bit of an awkward position. After sawing it off I did find
a multitool useful for trimming it more neatly

It's going to be fiddly, as I want to put the pan in exactly its
original position. The (now 40 years old vinyl tiles) were trimmed round
it. So, I'm going to have to mess around with extenders and so on. I'd
far rather just find the right collar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 08/01/2014 15:20, chris French wrote:
In message , GB
writes
On 07/01/2014 21:08, Tony Bryer wrote:

Yes, I installed a few of those back then - Osma, and they did different
size grommets to fit in the socket. Alan's solution is the way to go -
cut off the elbow and use a 90 pan connector.

Thanks all for confirming what I feared I had to do. $*&^%$£"!!!!

Ity's not that hard :-)

Mine was ina bit of an awkward position. After sawing it off I did find
a multitool useful for trimming it more neatly

It's going to be fiddly, as I want to put the pan in exactly its
original position. The (now 40 years old vinyl tiles) were trimmed
round it. So, I'm going to have to mess around with extenders and so
on. I'd far rather just find the right collar.

I'd probably use a pan connector with a flexible soil pipe end as that
will make aligning everything much easier
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes

It's going to be fiddly, as I want to put the pan in exactly its
original position. The (now 40 years old vinyl tiles) were trimmed round
it. So, I'm going to have to mess around with extenders and so on. I'd
far rather just find the right collar.

Is there something wrong with the one I linked to above?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p54240
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

locking collar Karl Townsend Metalworking 5 March 27th 13 08:59 PM
The shirt that one wears with a dinner suit also differs greatly fromthe type of shirt that you wear with a conventional suit. There are two majorchoices of shirt design. These are a raised collar or folded collar. Theturned down collar looks similar watchec Electronics Repair 0 April 24th 08 04:53 AM
The shirt that one wears with a dinner suit also differs greatly fromthe type of shirt that you wear with a conventional suit. There are two majorchoices of shirt design. These are a raised collar or folded collar. Theturned down collar looks similar [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 19th 08 11:25 AM
Collar ties Eigenvector Home Repair 1 July 14th 07 07:09 AM
Arbor Collar Rumpty Woodworking 1 April 1st 05 03:04 AM