DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT bags (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/365468-ot-bags.html)

Bill Wright[_2_] December 19th 13 06:00 AM

OT bags

It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large
box in the basement and I put my bags in there. I use them for dog ****,
clinical waste, badly soiled laundry, bowls of food for freezing,
disposable nappies, collecting apples and tomatoes, all sorts of things.
When they are banned I will have to buy bags. These will be made from
much thicker plastic so will cause more waste. I've made enquiries and I
will be able to get bags for clinical waste from the NHS. This will cost
me nothing but will cost the taxpayers a lot, because everyone will get
onto it. The greenies are stupid ****s.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Bill

Tim+ December 19th 13 07:41 AM

OT bags

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Only half agree. Without doubt, many (?most) people recycle their plastic
bags but I walk my dogs on a beach every morning and from Easter until the
autumn, the beach is littered with supermarket bags. Also, when I'm
running along country lanes the hedgerows and ditches are clogged with
bags. Anything that can be done to lessen this blight gets my vote.

Tim

harryagain[_2_] December 19th 13 07:41 AM

OT bags

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent news, should have been done years ago.
I think you are a stupid ****.
Why don'tyou take a proper bag to the supermarket when shopping or don't you
have the foresight?
The fact that you have to store vast quantities, indicates you get far more
than you need.
We haven't used supermarket bags for years.

Supermarket bags are quite unsuitable for most of the uses you put them to
anyway.

Mark Carver December 19th 13 07:51 AM

OT bags

On 19/12/2013 07:41, Tim+ wrote:

Only half agree. Without doubt, many (?most) people recycle their plastic
bags but I walk my dogs on a beach every morning and from Easter until the
autumn, the beach is littered with supermarket bags. Also, when I'm
running along country lanes the hedgerows and ditches are clogged with
bags. Anything that can be done to lessen this blight gets my vote.

I noticed last time I was in Wales (Nov 2011) that there were far fewer
bags blowing around, (as you describe). I think they had had the 5p
charge imposed earlier that year ?

We didn't know, until we went to get our weekly shop at a local
Sainsburys, and ended up unnecessarily paying about 50p for bags, which
was a bit of a disappointment seeing as back home we had a cupboard
full of them, like Bill, we keep them, and use them for all manner of
other things.

--
Mark

Woody[_11_] December 19th 13 08:01 AM

OT bags

[...]

The daft bit is that plastic could be replaced with recycled paper which will, in time, biodegrade, but they are going to charge for them as well!

By the way Bill, you forgot the newspapers that you put out in them for recycling. Now there's a paradox if ever there was one.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Tony Bryer[_3_] December 19th 13 08:02 AM

OT bags

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 06:00:57 +0000 Bill Wright wrote :
I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they
can to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go
out of my way to do this.

Not just greens:

"Shoppers are to be charged 5p for plastic bags in supermarkets and
other large stores. The move by ministers is a victory for the Daily
Mail’s Banish the Bags campaign which has highlighted the menace of
carrier bags."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dered-act.html

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Martin Brown December 19th 13 08:17 AM

OT bags

On 19/12/2013 06:00, Bill Wright wrote:
It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large

ITYM you don't like it because it conflicts with your "trash the planet
for fun and profit" paranoid right wingnut beliefs.

I think stupid right whingers are far more dangerous to the environment.

Just because the greens are in favour of something does not
automatically make it wrong. There are way too many plastic bags and for
that matter disposable take away meal containers in the hedgerows.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Bill

You sound like the typical paranoid right whinger.
It might surprise you to know that you are at odds with the Daily Wail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dered-act.html

What is less well known is that the latest generation of plastic carrier
bags are somewhat biodegradable over time and as such not quite the long
term nuisance that the older ones were.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Stuart Noble December 19th 13 08:29 AM

OT bags

On 19/12/2013 08:17, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I dug out some stuff from the loft the other day. A supermarket bag from
20 years ago was in VERY tiny pieces despite being stored in total
darkness. I suspected a mouse at first but other plastic bags were still
intact

Ian Jackson[_2_] December 19th 13 08:50 AM

OT bags

In message , Mark Carver
writes
On 19/12/2013 07:41, Tim+ wrote:

Only half agree. Without doubt, many (?most) people recycle their plastic
bags but I walk my dogs on a beach every morning and from Easter until the
autumn, the beach is littered with supermarket bags. Also, when I'm
running along country lanes the hedgerows and ditches are clogged with
bags. Anything that can be done to lessen this blight gets my vote.

I noticed last time I was in Wales (Nov 2011) that there were far fewer
bags blowing around, (as you describe). I think they had had the 5p
charge imposed earlier that year ?

We didn't know, until we went to get our weekly shop at a local
Sainsburys, and ended up unnecessarily paying about 50p for bags, which
was a bit of a disappointment seeing as back home we had a cupboard
full of them, like Bill, we keep them, and use them for all manner of
other things.

We certainly re-use plastic bags until they become holed - then if
they're not too bad, they get used as liners for the kitchen waste bin.
However, these days, some bags (especially Waitrose) are so flimsy and
thin that you are lucky to get even a single use out of them. Anything
they carry which has sharp corners invariably puts large holes in them,
rendering them unsuitable for any form re-use. Even the more-substantial
pay-for bags are often nowhere near as robust as they used to be.
--
Ian

Bill[_18_] December 19th 13 08:53 AM

OT bags

In message , stuart noble
writes

What is less well known is that the latest generation of plastic carrier
bags are somewhat biodegradable over time and as such not quite the long
term nuisance that the older ones were.

I dug out some stuff from the loft the other day. A supermarket bag
from 20 years ago was in VERY tiny pieces despite being stored in total
darkness. I suspected a mouse at first but other plastic bags were
still intact

Tesco went through a period with those things, the bane of the tidy
storage classes. Dreadful idea. Paper good, decaying plastic awful.

Is the charge for bags planned for just supermarkets, or will it apply
to all shops? I asked in the local chippy and they said it didn't apply
to them.
--
Bill

Robin December 19th 13 09:15 AM

OT bags

I dug out some stuff from the loft the other day. A supermarket bag
from 20 years ago was in VERY tiny pieces despite being stored in
total darkness. I suspected a mouse at first but other plastic bags
were still intact

Mi casa, su casa.
Tesco bags in my case.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

D.M.Chapman[_2_] December 19th 13 09:19 AM

OT bags

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

I dug out some stuff from the loft the other day. A supermarket bag from
20 years ago was in VERY tiny pieces despite being stored in total
darkness. I suspected a mouse at first but other plastic bags were still
intact

Tesco ones? They had a spell of "degradable" (they carefully avoided saying
"Biodegradable" I noticed - not sure of the implications there!) bags - we
had a load in the office. The ones that had day light were ok, the ones
in the dark almost turned to powder when you touched them.

I assume the UV kept the plastic ok in some way? I thought it was normally
the other way around but then some white paint yellows indoors so I guess
it's similar?

Darren

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] December 19th 13 09:48 AM

OT bags

On 19/12/13 06:00, Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

we now have about 5 hessian ones bought at the S/market and they work
just fine.

SWMBO steals the one the vegetables go in for use as general storage.

Golly. Hessian wasn't in the dictionary the spell checker uses. Except
capitalised.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Max Demian December 19th 13 09:58 AM

OT bags

"Bill" wrote in message

Is the charge for bags planned for just supermarkets, or will it apply to
all shops? I asked in the local chippy and they said it didn't apply to
them.

There is a number of exceptions:
"Axe-men and goldfish enthusiasts among those to escape 5p bag levy"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25240097

--
Max Demian

Brian Gaff December 19th 13 10:07 AM

OT bags

Surely these days most bags seem to just disintegrate in any case. I thought
this idea had fixed the problem. If they want to stop crap they need to get
real about getting rid of packaging that cannot have other uses unlike bags.
That transparent hard see through stuff for a start, they said it could not
be done, but I notice Duracell have got rid of it, and others should take
note i feel.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Max Demian December 19th 13 10:21 AM

OT bags

"Tim+" wrote in message

Only half agree. Without doubt, many (?most) people recycle their plastic
bags but I walk my dogs on a beach every morning and from Easter until the
autumn, the beach is littered with supermarket bags. Also, when I'm
running along country lanes the hedgerows and ditches are clogged with
bags. Anything that can be done to lessen this blight gets my vote.

It's perverse the way dog owners hang their bags of dog **** from branches.
They'll just stay the if the dog deposited its excrement on the ground it
would be gobbles up in a trice.

--
Max Demian

Max Demian December 19th 13 10:27 AM

OT bags

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

What is less well known is that the latest generation of plastic carrier
bags are somewhat biodegradable over time and as such not quite the long
term nuisance that the older ones were.

I hate the 'degradable' bags. Especially when they encourage you to re-use
them - put them away and they fall apart by the time you use them. Ryman's
are bad in this way.

--
Max Demian

Max Demian December 19th 13 10:37 AM

OT bags

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 19/12/2013 06:00, Bill Wright wrote:
It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large

ITYM you don't like it because it conflicts with your "trash the planet
for fun and profit" paranoid right wingnut beliefs.

I think stupid right whingers are far more dangerous to the environment.

Just because the greens are in favour of something does not automatically
make it wrong. There are way too many plastic bags and for that matter
disposable take away meal containers in the hedgerows.

It's wrong because it's irrelevant to the environment [1] and means you have
to carry a pocket of plastic bags around just in case you decide to buy
something on the spur of the moment.

[1] 0.27% of landfill: http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/12709

"Plastic bags are an outward reflection of the ease with which people can
buy goods and take them home. People now have the disposable income to enter
a shop unexpectedly and buy a load of stuff, and plastic bags mean they can
rest assured they will have the means to carry their purchases. How often do
people returning home from work decide, on a whim, to make a quick stop at
Tesco Express to buy a few items of food? How frequently, perhaps on a
journey past Oxford Street, are we drawn into a sale by a piece of
attractive clobber? Such nonchalant consumption would be made more
difficult, perhaps more expensive, without shops' provision of handy, free
plastic bags."

--
Max Demian

[email protected] December 19th 13 10:46 AM

OT bags

wrote:

It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large
box in the basement and I put my bags in there. I use them for dog ****,
clinical waste, badly soiled laundry, bowls of food for freezing,
disposable nappies, collecting apples and tomatoes, all sorts of things.
When they are banned I will have to buy bags. These will be made from
much thicker plastic so will cause more waste. I've made enquiries and I
will be able to get bags for clinical waste from the NHS. This will cost
me nothing but will cost the taxpayers a lot, because everyone will get
onto it. The greenies are stupid ****s.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Whatever happened to conventional shopping bags? We have always used
them rather than the throw-away plastic ones. They aren't expensive
and will soon pay for themselves at 5p a use. Plus they don't suddenly
tear when carrying heavy bottles.

Mizter T December 19th 13 11:22 AM

OT bags

[...]

Couldn't disagree with you more.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] December 19th 13 12:14 PM

OT bags

On 19/12/13 11:22, Mizter T wrote:
[...]

And that is something I am actually concerned about. 99% of green
legislations is utter crap. And is becoming recognized as such.

This is good.

1% of it though, is worth having, and I am with you on this. Plastic
bags do more harm than good. Paper or hessian both work, and were what
we used before. Paper carrier bags with string handles? remember those?

Peter Duncanson December 19th 13 12:29 PM

OT bags

wrote:

[...]

In Northern Ireland we have had the 5p levy on single-usecarrier bags
(paper as well as plastic) since April this year. It seems to be working
well.

This is the information about the levy that was published earlier this
year.
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/baglevy

More detail:
http://www.doeni.gov.uk/index/protec...te/baglevy.htm

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Tim+[_4_] December 19th 13 12:53 PM

OT bags

wrote:

[...]

Define "working well". In Eire, which has had the levy for several
years, consumption of bags has risen, not fallen.

We weren't best pleased when given a paper bag for some newly purchased
books when it was ****ing with rain outside in Dublin some years ago.

Tim

Peter Duncanson December 19th 13 01:04 PM

OT bags

wrote:

[...]

In terms of single-use bags used the figures so far released for the
first three month period the usage seems to have dropped to about 25% of
what it was. On the basis of casual observation in the supermarket,
convenience stores and shops that I use I'd estimate the drop to be much
greater. People are using either their own bags or multiple-use bags
sold by the retailers, or are carrying small numbers of items unbagged.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

NY December 19th 13 01:34 PM

OT bags

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
In Northern Ireland we have had the 5p levy on single-usecarrier bags
(paper as well as plastic) since April this year.

Why is there a levy on paper bags which are biodegradable? If the levy is
attempt to reduce the use of plastic bags because they are not
biodegradable, then why are supermarkets not encouraged to supply
alternative paper single-use bags which do not suffer from the problem?

I resent having to carry a bulky bag-for-life with me on the off-chance that
I might want to buy something. Too much of modern life requires you to plan
ahead (bag for life, buying railway tickets in advance to get best fare,
etc) instead of allowing you to be impulsive and spur-of-the-moment.

We always re-use supermarket carriers for lining rubbish bins (eg in the
kitchen, one for general landfill rubbish like packaging, and another for
food waste and vegetable peelings that can be composted) as a free
alternative to buying a roll of bin bags. Once the levy is introduced, quite
apart from having to buy a large number of bags for life, to accommodate
everything that we buy at one go, we'll have to spend even more money buying
rolls of binliner bags that we used to get for free as single-use carrier
bags.

And all because some plebs can't be arsed to throw away their carrier bags
in the bin after using them.

John Williamson December 19th 13 01:38 PM

OT bags

1% of it though, is worth having, and I am with you on this. Plastic
bags do more harm than good. Paper or hessian both work, and were what
we used before. Paper carrier bags with string handles? remember those?

I remember having to hold them by the base, as either the string pulled
out, or, if it was raining even slightly, the bag would rapidly
disintegrate.

Interesting article he-

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Documen...nment/3611.pdf

AKA:-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7a9jnag

It seems that the least damaging solution is to use plastic bags until
they fall apart and then recycle the plastic.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Mike O'Sullivan December 19th 13 01:42 PM

OT bags

1% of it though, is worth having, and I am with you on this. Plastic
bags do more harm than good. Paper or hessian both work, and were what
we used before. Paper carrier bags with string handles? remember those?

I used a "green" supermarket in Vancouver last year. Checkout girl said
"paper or plastic". Paper I said. Walked to the door and the handle broke!

John Williamson December 19th 13 01:49 PM

OT bags

On 19/12/2013 13:34, NY wrote:
"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
In Northern Ireland we have had the 5p levy on single-usecarrier bags
(paper as well as plastic) since April this year.

Why is there a levy on paper bags which are biodegradable? If the levy
is attempt to reduce the use of plastic bags because they are not
biodegradable, then why are supermarkets not encouraged to supply
alternative paper single-use bags which do not suffer from the problem?

Because the paper bags do not biodegrade in modern rubbish tips. They
actually endure as long as plastic ones in the anaerobic, dark
conditions there. The only benefit is that if you use a paper bag to
wrap your dog**** in before hanging it on the hedge, it will quickly
fall apart, letting the normal biological processes take care of the
excrement.

Paper bags also cause more air pollution and CO2 to be emitted during
their manufacture and transport than plastic.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

alan December 19th 13 02:08 PM

OT bags

On 19/12/2013 07:41, harryagain wrote:

Why don'tyou take a proper bag to the supermarket when shopping or don't you
have the foresight?

I keep around 6 laundry bags (each approx 2x carrier bag capacity) in
the back of the car and use them 4/5 years before they have to be
chucked away. 95% of my supermarket shopping is transported in these bags.
Example - smallest size in link
http://tinyurl.com/ptufj8m

Supermarket bags are quite unsuitable for most of the uses you put them to
anyway.

I do recycle all supermarket bags that I do get in the same way as Bill
does.

From what I've read, in countries that have introduced charging the
usage has gone down but sales of other plastic bags has risen. I doubt
if any less plastic goes to land fill.

If the greenies really want to save the planet let them campaign to make
all unsoliced snail junk mail illegal. I shred all the leaflets and
junk that comes through my letter box and compost it. I get a sackful of
paper per month (7 A4 sheets of glossy paper so far today and the
postman hasn't made a delivery yet).

[email protected] December 19th 13 02:09 PM

OT bags

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:34:54 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
.. .

Too much of modern life requires you to plan
ahead

No - quite the reverse! Life has always been that way. Only modernity
has permitted laziness.
It's part of evolution that the fittest always look ahead. That's why
the woman in Melbourne walked into the harbour when using Facebook.

Corporal Jones[_2_] December 19th 13 05:04 PM

OT bags

wrote:

[...]

Obviously in the era of conventional shopping bags you just have a
memory but you did not experience it or have a very bad memory.
In those days there where local Butchers, grocers, Bakers etc. as well
as the Grocer/Wet fish vans, that travelled the streets. These where
walk-able so popping out with your conventional bag to get the
provisions every day was not a problem and you could carry a couple of
bags home, all food in those days came in paper bags.
Unfortionatly Supermarkets came along and destroyed the local shops so
rather than pop out to the local shops you had to travel to a
supermarket, supermarkets only have one shop in a town so then you had
to buy a car to get to the Supermarket and transport your goods back
home, carrying 5 or 6 shopping bags on a bus is not the easy.
If you are not able to just pop out to a shop as and when but to have to
travel a few miles to the supermarket one would obviously try to get
enough to last several days rather than incur the expensive travelling
costs in your car.
Times move on and in the modern day life we have to shop the way we have
been conditioned to, I personally if I can carry the goods in my hands I
refuse a bag, if I can't carry them and are charged for a bag I would
probably just walk out, unless I am in Aldi of course.

Barry

Dave Liquorice[_2_] December 19th 13 05:45 PM

OT bags

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:34:54 -0000, NY wrote:

Why is there a levy on paper bags which are biodegradable?

Supermarket plastic bags are these days as well. You try using a
recent supermarket bag to store something in the cool dry and dark
for more than a year or two it will crumble to dust. Compare that
against a supermarket plastic bag from 20 years ago that'll be in the
same condition as it was when new.

I use those red/white or blue/white woven plastic "laundry" bags for
shopping (13w x 15h x 7"d). Much better than the tiddly pleated
bottom construction supermarket bags or most of the "bags for life".
These are proper "box" construction made from stiffish material that
stands up on it's own. Got half a dozen off ebay a good few years
back all are still going strong.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Max Demian December 19th 13 05:58 PM

OT bags

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

****,
clinical waste, badly soiled laundry, bowls of food for freezing,
disposable nappies, collecting apples and tomatoes, all sorts of
things.
When they are banned I will have to buy bags. These will be made from
much thicker plastic so will cause more waste. I've made enquiries and
will be able to get bags for clinical waste from the NHS. This will
cost
me nothing but will cost the taxpayers a lot, because everyone will
get
onto it. The greenies are stupid ****s.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Whatever happened to conventional shopping bags? We have always used
them rather than the throw-away plastic ones.

Nothing happened to conventional shopping bags. We have half a dozen
that we take to the supermarket each time.

I think you are talking about carrier bags of some kind. Actual
"conventional shopping bags" are big things, usually of cloth and perhaps
leather handles. You would only expect to carry one.

--
Max Demian

harryagain[_2_] December 19th 13 06:06 PM

OT bags

"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

Bollix.
All you have to do is keep a proper bag or two in the car.
They should be charging £1 each for plastic bags.

harryagain[_2_] December 19th 13 06:08 PM

OT bags

On 2013-12-19, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/12/2013 06:00, Bill Wright wrote:
It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large

ITYM you don't like it because it conflicts with your "trash the planet
for fun and profit" paranoid right wingnut beliefs.

Actually, he's right, even if he is mad.

I think stupid right whingers are far more dangerous to the environment.

Just because the greens are in favour of something does not
automatically make it wrong.

So, you're a hypocrite, too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dered-act.html

The DM is a good comic. Nearly as good as the DT.
A laugh on every page.

harryagain[_2_] December 19th 13 06:14 PM

OT bags

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Surely these days most bags seem to just disintegrate in any case. I
thought this idea had fixed the problem. If they want to stop crap they
need to get real about getting rid of packaging that cannot have other
uses unlike bags.
That transparent hard see through stuff for a start, they said it could
not be done, but I notice Duracell have got rid of it, and others should
take note i feel.
Brian

They never totally disappear.
They eventually go into fine dust which ends up in the sea and is ingested
by marine creautres to their detriment.
http://www.pollutionissues.co.uk/imp...-bags-sea.html

harryagain[_2_] December 19th 13 06:21 PM

OT bags

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Impulsive/random is always bad.
You should consider all purchases before buying.
Unless of course it is something you use being sold off cheap.

Stuart Noble December 19th 13 06:40 PM

OT bags

On 19/12/2013 14:08, alan wrote:
On 19/12/2013 07:41, harryagain wrote:

Why don'tyou take a proper bag to the supermarket when shopping or
don't you
have the foresight?

I keep around 6 laundry bags (each approx 2x carrier bag capacity) in
the back of the car and use them 4/5 years before they have to be
chucked away. 95% of my supermarket shopping is transported in these bags.
Example - smallest size in link
http://tinyurl.com/ptufj8m

Supermarket bags are quite unsuitable for most of the uses you put
them to
anyway.

I do recycle all supermarket bags that I do get in the same way as Bill
does.

From what I've read, in countries that have introduced charging the
usage has gone down but sales of other plastic bags has risen. I doubt
if any less plastic goes to land fill.

If the greenies really want to save the planet let them campaign to make
all unsoliced snail junk mail illegal. I shred all the leaflets and
junk that comes through my letter box and compost it. I get a sackful of
paper per month (7 A4 sheets of glossy paper so far today and the
postman hasn't made a delivery yet).

We've all got used to Aldi and Lidl not handing out bags for free, and I
admire them for sticking to their guns (unlike the big supermarkets)

Sam Plusnet December 19th 13 07:15 PM

OT bags

In article ,
lid says...

I noticed last time I was in Wales (Nov 2011) that there were far fewer
bags blowing around, (as you describe). I think they had had the 5p
charge imposed earlier that year ?

5p charge came in on 1/10/2011.

It's no big deal, thought we are slowly running through our stock of
"throw-away" bags which we use & re-use over & over.

--
Sam