DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Inflation rates (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/365413-inflation-rates.html)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 3rd 14 03:26 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/14 15:10, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:48:26 +0000, bert wrote:

Which, if worded right, could give us a way out of the EU if Scotland
votes for independence, as the Kingdom of Great Britain would no longer
exist, as it would involve repealing the Act of Union of 1707.

It's just a theoretical possibility, though.

Interesting point. I've been looking for an alternative definition to
Wikis but haven't found anything yet. There's is mostly Ireland
orientated.

I don't think it holds any water, as "UK-minus-Scotland" would be the
direct successor state to the current UK, in the same way as the unified
Germany was the direct successor state to the old West Germany - just
going the other way in size.

Anyway, gawd help us if the UK is ever daft enough to try to leave the EU.

Gawd help us if its daft enough to stay.

Its like chaining your lifeboat to the Titanic.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Bod[_3_] January 3rd 14 03:54 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/14 15:10, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Totally agree. We could then get back to making our own rules and not be
dictated to. No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Adrian January 3rd 14 03:55 PM

Inflation rates

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:54:07 +0000, Bod wrote:

Totally agree. We could then get back to making our own rules and not be
dictated to.

Mmm. Just like Norway and Switzerland, eh?

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

[email protected] January 3rd 14 04:13 PM

Inflation rates

John Williamson wrote:
Which, if worded right, could give us a way out of the EU if Scotland
votes for independence, as the Kingdom of Great Britain would no longer
exist, as it would involve repealing the Act of Union of 1707.

The Kingdom of Great Britain ceased to exist in 1800 when it was
replaced by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which
was replaced in 1925 by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland.

jgh

Adrian January 3rd 14 05:45 PM

Inflation rates

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:25:14 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

What has a map to do with anything. We're next to France. D'ye feel
French? I don't.

Here's a clue... The UK is not "next to" Europe.

Adrian January 3rd 14 06:22 PM

Inflation rates

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 18:15:08 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

What has a map to do with anything. We're next to France. D'ye feel
French? I don't.

Here's a clue... The UK is not "next to" Europe.

Even less reason to feel "European" then

Umm, no, not really.

Bod[_3_] January 3rd 14 06:45 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/2014 17:45, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:25:14 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

What has a map to do with anything. We're next to France. D'ye feel
French? I don't.

Here's a clue... The UK is not "next to" Europe.

Of course not:

There are fifty internationally recognized sovereign states in Europe,
of which 44 have their capital city within Europe. Germany, France,
Great Britain, Sweden, Scandinavia, are a few of the major European
countries. Germany shares borders with nine countries, the highest
number of any other country. Germany borders Switzerland, Poland,
Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Denmark, Czech Republic, Belgium, and
Austria.

Bod[_3_] January 3rd 14 06:51 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/2014 18:45, Bod wrote:
On 03/01/2014 17:45, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:25:14 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

What has a map to do with anything. We're next to France. D'ye feel
French? I don't.

Here's a clue... The UK is not "next to" Europe.

Of course not:

There are fifty internationally recognized sovereign states in Europe,
of which 44 have their capital city within Europe. Germany, France,
Great Britain, Sweden, Scandinavia, are a few of the major European
countries. Germany shares borders with nine countries, the highest
number of any other country. Germany borders Switzerland, Poland,
Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Denmark, Czech Republic, Belgium, and
Austria.

Facts about Europe
Area10,180,000 sq. km.
Countries46
Largest Country by AreaRussia
Largest Country by PopulationRussia
Largest City by PopulationLondon, UK
Highest PointPik Khan-Tengri 7010 meters, 22999 feet
Lowest PointVatican City 75 meters, 246 feet
Major ReligionsChristians, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism
Major LanguagesEnglish, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian

http://www.mapsofworld.com/europe/

Adrian January 3rd 14 07:04 PM

Inflation rates

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 18:45:14 +0000, Bod wrote:

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

What has a map to do with anything. We're next to France. D'ye feel
French? I don't.

Here's a clue... The UK is not "next to" Europe.

Of course not:

Great Britain... (is one)... of the major European countries

Thank you for agreeing with me, Bod.

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 07:11 PM

Inflation rates

Adrian wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Scotland is in the EU because it's a part
of the UK, which is an EU member state.

Duh.

The UK will still be an EU member state
if Scotland leaves. It'll just be a bit smaller.

Duh.

So, taking those two into account, you'd agree that post-independence
Scotland would form a new country, additional to the UK, and - however
they become members - their membership would take the EU to 29 member
states, yes?

Irrelevant to the discussion you snipped where bert
claimed that Spain gets any say on whether Scotland
gets to JOIN the EU. It's clearly already in the EU.

The new, not existed for four hundred years, country
of Scotland would not be an EU member state,

You dont know that.

Given the choice between Salmond's hand-waving "It'll happen
because I want it to", and the EU's long and involved explanations
of exactly why it won't - can't - happen, I know who I believe.

The eurozone has has just as long and involved explanations
on why countrys cant do what they like deficit wise and expect
to get bailed out when the **** hits the fan, and when it comes
to the crunch, that turns out to be just more eurobull****.

John Williamson January 3rd 14 07:15 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/2014 18:51, Bod wrote:
Facts about Europe
Area10,180,000 sq. km.
Countries46
Largest Country by AreaRussia
Largest Country by PopulationRussia
Largest City by PopulationLondon, UK
Highest PointPik Khan-Tengri 7010 meters, 22999 feet
Lowest PointVatican City 75 meters, 246 feet
Major ReligionsChristians, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism
Major LanguagesEnglish, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian

http://www.mapsofworld.com/europe/

Just looking at that, there are at least two errors which cast doubt on
the accuracy of the whole website.

The City of London (Capital of the UK) has the *smallest* resident
population of any city in Europe, at less than 10,000, but even if
they're talking about Metropolitan areas, Paris has about 4 million more
inhabitants than Greater London.

The lowest point in Europe is *not* the Vatican City at 75 metres above
Sea Level, it's in the Dutch polders and is a few metres *below* sea
level. It's not even the lowest capital city, with London at a few
matres above sea level and Amsterdam at an average of 3 metres *below*
sea level.

By the way, Pik Khan Tengri (Highest point) isn't even *near* the border
of any country that could be considered to be close to Europe. It's not
even the highest point in the world....

Either that site's been hacked, or North Americans *are* that ignorant
of everything outside their borders.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Adrian[_9_] January 3rd 14 07:17 PM

Inflation rates

In message , Bod
writes
Facts about Europe
Lowest PointVatican City 75 meters, 246 feet

Really? Might come as a bit of a surprise to some of those living in
Eastern England (and the Netherlands amongst other places).

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 07:18 PM

Inflation rates

Vir Campestris wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Vir Campestris wrote

Was it too hard to read through that list
to get to the end, where you'll find the UK?

Which includes Scotland too.

fx raises eyes to sky

But the whole problem is that Scotland is considering leaving the UK...

Which means that list is completely irrelevant.

And snip FFS.

No thanks, you have snipped so aggressively that
it isnt at all clear what was being discussed now.

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 07:21 PM

Inflation rates

bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Vir Campestris wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian wrote

If they want to join the EU - and they've said they do - then
they have to join the Euro (and Schengen) as soon as they
meet the criteria. It's a condition of any new country
joining.

But not necessarily with a country that was part of
the EU already before those conditions applied.

I think the Eu have already clarified that and the answer is an
independent Scotland would have to apply from scratch.

But it remains to be seen if that is just an ambit claim or not.

They have already tried that sort of ambit claim with the rules
about what you have to do to stay part of the eurozone and
when it has come to the crunch when some countrys have just
ignored that on deficits particularly, have had to just shrug and
carry on regardless and bail them out when it comes to the
crunch.

They don't want to set a precedent for other regions.

They already have. Greenland chose to leave and there wasn't
a damned thing that the EU could do about that when they did.

Leaving is not quite the same as joining

They wouldn't be joining because they are already in the EU.

which I believe requires unanimous vote

Not in the case of an area that is already in the EU.

and Spain will not agree to Scotland being given automatic
membership of the EU

They get no say on that.

because of their own local problems.

Have you any authoritative source for your statements

Don't need one. Scotland is obviously already in the EU.

or are they just your own presumptions?

No presumption involved in the statement
that Scotland is already in the EU.

BTW Scotland is not a member country of the EU, the UK is.

Its still already in the EU.

So just your own speculation

No, no speculation whatever about the
FACT that Scotland is already in the EU.

Here's a link for you listing the member countries. I don't actually
see Scotland there.
http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/

You don't see Britain there either. They
are however clearly in the EU anyway.

Was it too hard to read through that list to get to the end, where
you'll find the UK?

Which includes Scotland too.

Only as part of the UK, not as an independent entity.

Irrelevant to the fact that Scotland is clearly in the EU already.

Adrian January 3rd 14 07:25 PM

Inflation rates

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 06:11:37 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Scotland is in the EU because it's a part of the UK, which is an EU
member state.

Duh.

The UK will still be an EU member state if Scotland leaves. It'll
just be a bit smaller.

Duh.

So, taking those two into account, you'd agree that post-independence
Scotland would form a new country, additional to the UK, and - however
they become members - their membership would take the EU to 29 member
states, yes?

Irrelevant to the discussion you snipped where bert claimed that Spain
gets any say on whether Scotland gets to JOIN the EU.

I snipped it because I agree that it's irrelevant. Just answer the
question, please, and ignore Spain completely for a moment.

Do you agree with those two statements, or do you disagree with them?

It's clearly already in the EU

Well spotted. Nobody's denying that Scotland, as a region of the UK, is
currently part of the EU and has been since the mid '70s.

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 07:27 PM

Inflation rates

bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian wrote
Bod wrote

Salmond still wants to keep GB Sterling

It doesn't make sense to set up a whole new currency for a
short interim period.

Anybody and everybody is free to use any other country's
"unofficially", if they don't mind having zero input into the
economy of that other country. Montenegro uses the
...and if they join the Euro currency, hmm; good luck

[...]

What do you consider as "Britain" as opposed to "UK" or "Great Britain"

Doesn't matter what I consider, what matters is what the EU does.

The EU member is the United Kingdom. Not Scotland not England not
Britain not Great Britain.

And both England and Scotland are clearly in the EU,
even when that list does not name them explicitly.

Geographically yes. They are not however member states.

Irrelevant to the fact that Scotland and England are already in the EU.

They do not magically become member states just because they decide to
leave the United Kingdom.

We'll see...

I think this discussion has reached that point where you go round in
circles to hide the fact that you cannot come to accept that you are
wrong.

Its actually reached the point when you go round and round in circles
when your nose is rubbed in the FACT that Scotland is already in the EU.

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 07:31 PM

Inflation rates

bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Here's a link for you listing the member countries.
I don't actually see Scotland there.
http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/

You don't see Britain there either. They
are however clearly in the EU anyway.

What do you consider as "Britain" as opposed to "UK" or "Great
Britain"

Doesn't matter what I consider, what matters is what the EU does.

What matters is reality...

No, what matters is whether Scotland is currently part of the EU or not
as
far as Spain getting any veto right on Scotland joining the EU is
concerned.

The EU member is the United Kingdom. Not
Scotland not England not Britain not Great Britain.

And both England and Scotland are clearly in the EU,
even when that list does not name them explicitly.

Yorkshire is in the EU, too. So's East Anglia. So're any
number of subdivisions and regions forming the UK.

Precisely. So Spain is completely irrelevant.

But it'd be a very very very long list if every single French
Departement or German Lander was listed separately.

Precisely, that list is completely irrelevant.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
Ireland is the only "country" involved here. Currently.

Precisely, that list is completely irrelevant.

There might soon be a country called Scotland, too,
for the first time since the start of the 18th century.

And Spain gets no say on whether it remains part of the EU.

There is no need for anyone to have any say because it won't be part of
the EU at the point of leaving the UK.

You don't know that.

Scotland will not be part of the EU .

You don't know that.

It will have to apply for membership

You don't know that.

when Spain will have a vote along with all the other member states

You don't know that.

and Spain has indicated it is unlikely to support such an application

You don't know that there will be any need for any such application.

which I believe requires unanimity.

Bod[_3_] January 3rd 14 07:37 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/2014 19:04, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 18:45:14 +0000, Bod wrote:

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

What has a map to do with anything. We're next to France. D'ye feel
French? I don't.

Here's a clue... The UK is not "next to" Europe.

Of course not:

Great Britain... (is one)... of the major European countries

Thank you for agreeing with me, Bod.

Jeez! there's something sadly wrong with your brain, Adrian.

I only said "I don't FEEL european" and you go into one.

Bod[_3_] January 3rd 14 07:39 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/2014 19:15, John Williamson wrote:
On 03/01/2014 18:51, Bod wrote:
[...]

I suspect the latter :-)

bert[_3_] January 3rd 14 07:46 PM

Inflation rates

In message , Rod Speed
writes
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Oh yes I do.
Scotland will not be part of the EU .

You don't know that.

Oh yes I do.
It will have to apply for membership

You don't know that.

Oh yes I do
when Spain will have a vote along with all the other member states

You don't know that.

Oh yes I do
and Spain has indicated it is unlikely to support such an application

You don't know that there will be any need for any such application.

Oh yes I do
which I believe requires unanimity.

And you don't know any different.
--
bert

bert[_3_] January 3rd 14 07:48 PM

Inflation rates

[...]

Which bit of "not member states" do you not understand?
--
bert

bert[_3_] January 3rd 14 07:49 PM

Inflation rates

In message , Adrian
writes
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:48:26 +0000, bert wrote:

Which, if worded right, could give us a way out of the EU if Scotland
votes for independence, as the Kingdom of Great Britain would no longer
exist, as it would involve repealing the Act of Union of 1707.

It's just a theoretical possibility, though.

Interesting point. I've been looking for an alternative definition to
Wikis but haven't found anything yet. There's is mostly Ireland
orientated.

I don't think it holds any water, as "UK-minus-Scotland" would be the
direct successor state to the current UK, in the same way as the unified
Germany was the direct successor state to the old West Germany - just
going the other way in size.

Good thinking
Anyway, gawd help us if the UK is ever daft enough to try to leave the EU.

That's a very different discussion and I wouldn't want to let Rod off
the hook by digressing down that road.
--
bert

polygonum January 3rd 14 09:15 PM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/2014 18:45, Bod wrote:
On 03/01/2014 17:45, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:25:14 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

No one I know has said they feel European. I certainly don't.

Would somebody show this idiot a map, please?

What has a map to do with anything. We're next to France. D'ye feel
French? I don't.

Here's a clue... The UK is not "next to" Europe.

Of course not:

There are fifty internationally recognized sovereign states in Europe,
of which 44 have their capital city within Europe. Germany, France,
Great Britain, Sweden, Scandinavia, are a few of the major European
countries. Germany shares borders with nine countries, the highest
number of any other country. Germany borders Switzerland, Poland,
Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Denmark, Czech Republic, Belgium, and
Austria.

Does that counting include the France-Canada border?

--
Rod

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 11:19 PM

Inflation rates

Adrian wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Scotland is in the EU because it's a part
of the UK, which is an EU member state.

Duh.

The UK will still be an EU member state
if Scotland leaves. It'll just be a bit smaller.

Duh.

So, taking those two into account, you'd agree that
post-independence Scotland would form a new country,
additional to the UK, and - however they become members
- their membership would take the EU to 29 member states, yes?

Irrelevant to the discussion you snipped where bert claimed that
Spain gets any say on whether Scotland gets to JOIN the EU.

I snipped it because I agree that it's irrelevant.

You should have said that.

Just answer the question, please, and
ignore Spain completely for a moment.

No thanks, when spain is completely irrelevant,
the claim that Scotland would have to apply to
be part of the EU has blown up in your face and
covered you with black stuff when it is clearly
in the EU already.

Do you agree with those two statements,

That's what Duh means, stupid.

or do you disagree with them?

It's clearly already in the EU

Well spotted. Nobody's denying that Scotland, as a region of the
UK, is currently part of the EU and has been since the mid '70s.

But plenty are claiming with no basis what so ever that
Scotland would have to apply to be in the EU and that
since that has to be agreed unanimously, Spain would
refuse.

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 11:28 PM

Inflation rates

bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
bert ] wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Adrian wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Oh no you don't. That is pure speculation on your part
because that has not happened before, and what happens
in that situation is not spelt out in the Treaty.

[...]

That bit is irrelevant if Scotland does not
need to apply because it is already in the EU.

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 11:28 PM

Inflation rates

"bert" ] wrote in message
[...]

Which bit of "already in the EU" do you not understand ?

Rod Speed January 3rd 14 11:29 PM

Inflation rates

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

I aint on any hook.

Tony Bryer[_3_] January 4th 14 12:17 AM

Inflation rates

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:15:26 +0000 John Williamson wrote :
The City of London (Capital of the UK) has the *smallest* resident
population of any city in Europe, at less than 10,000, but even if
they're talking about Metropolitan areas, Paris has about 4 million
more inhabitants than Greater London.

Though if Greater London was defined as the contiguous built up area
rather than the London Boroughs it would have a much larger population,
e.g lots of Elmbridge - Thames Ditton, Molesey etc is just an extension
of RBK and LBRuT

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Jim Newman[_4_] January 4th 14 12:29 AM

Inflation rates

On 27/12/2013 16:28, harryagain wrote:
"Jim Newman" wrote in message
On 22/12/2013 09:44, harryagain wrote:

The government of this country needs only concern itself with taxpayers
of
this country.

So, by your logic, no schools and no health care for children then.

You really are monumentally stupid aren't you!

They are the children of taxpayers.

****ferbrains.

FIFY

djc January 4th 14 12:33 AM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/14 19:15, John Williamson wrote:

The City of London (Capital of the UK) has the *smallest* resident
population of any city in Europe, at less than 10,000, but even if
they're talking about Metropolitan areas, Paris has about 4 million more
inhabitants than Greater London.

Think it's stretching definitions to call the "City of London" the
capital considering that Parliament and major Goverment offices are in
the City of Westminster.

--
djc

Rod Speed January 4th 14 05:14 AM

Inflation rates

Bod wrote
Adrian wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It's all about the election in two years

Yes, but they won't be electing Labour any time soon, you watch.

Indeed. 2015 is absolutely their last stand, unless the Scottish
referendum says "no".

They will say no to independence, IMHO.

Dont see why they would. They have nothing
to lose, they can still do whatever they are doing
now, even outside Scotland, and they get to charge
whatever they like for the last of the North Sea gas etc.

I can't think of even a single example where independence
has been put to the vote where that vote hasn't got up.
Can't see why that would be any different for Scotland.

Adrian January 4th 14 09:00 AM

Inflation rates

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:19:54 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

I mean the two I made.
So, taking those two into account, you'd agree that post-independence
Scotland would form a new country, additional to the UK, and -
however they become members - their membership would take the EU to
29 member states, yes?

^ These two. So...?

or do you disagree with them?

waits

It's clearly already in the EU

Well spotted. Nobody's denying that Scotland, as a region of the UK, is
currently part of the EU and has been since the mid '70s.

But plenty are claiming with no basis what so ever that Scotland would
have to apply to be in the EU

TBF, everybody but Salmond is saying that. Remind you of Blackadder's Sea
Captain?

and that since that has to be agreed unanimously, Spain would refuse.

Which isn't what Spain have said.

Adrian January 4th 14 09:02 AM

Inflation rates

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 00:33:14 +0000, djc wrote:

The City of London (Capital of the UK) has the *smallest* resident
population of any city in Europe, at less than 10,000, but even if
they're talking about Metropolitan areas, Paris has about 4 million
more inhabitants than Greater London.

Quite an achievement, really, seeing as Paris has 2.2m inhabitants.
London has nearly half as many French nationals living in it as Paris
does.

Think it's stretching definitions to call the "City of London" the
capital considering that Parliament and major Goverment offices are in
the City of Westminster.

Quite. It's amazing how many people don't realise that the City of London
isn't the same as the city of London.

Adrian January 4th 14 09:05 AM

Inflation rates

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 09:02:54 +0000, Adrian wrote:

The City of London (Capital of the UK) has the *smallest* resident
population of any city in Europe, at less than 10,000, but even if
they're talking about Metropolitan areas, Paris has about 4 million
more inhabitants than Greater London.

Quite an achievement, really, seeing as Paris has 2.2m inhabitants.
London has nearly half as many French nationals living in it as Paris
does.

Think it's stretching definitions to call the "City of London" the
capital considering that Parliament and major Goverment offices are in
the City of Westminster.

Quite. It's amazing how many people don't realise that the City of
London isn't the same as the city of London.

Oh, and...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Largest_cities_of_the_European_Union_by_population _within_city_limits

Tony Bryer[_3_] January 4th 14 09:44 AM

Inflation rates

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 09:05:14 +0000 (UTC) Adrian wrote :
Oh, and...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Largest_cities_of_the_European_Union_by_population _within_city_limits

Interesting that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larger_Urban_Zones

answers my earlier question and reports London as the largest city
in Europe. For all the Daily Mail hysteria, it's far from the most
densely populated though.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Adrian January 4th 14 09:55 AM

Inflation rates

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 20:44:55 +1100, Tony Bryer wrote:

Oh, and...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Largest_cities_of_the_European_Union_by_population _within_city_limits

Interesting that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larger_Urban_Zones

answers my earlier question and reports London as the largest city in
Europe.

and with Paris very close behind. Paris is an odd one - the urban sprawl
is large, but "Paris" itself (the Arondissements) is very strictly
boundaried, and not actually that big. London's different, in that the
boroughs still contain a good portion of the sprawl - the City/city
confuzzlement is another thing entirely.

For all the Daily Mail hysteria, it's far from the most densely
populated though.

Shush your mouth. The Wail? Wrong about something? Heresy!

polygonum January 4th 14 10:00 AM

Inflation rates

On 03/01/2014 19:15, John Williamson wrote:
The City of London (Capital of the UK) has the *smallest* resident
population of any city in Europe, at less than 10,000, but even if
they're talking about Metropolitan areas, Paris has about 4 million more
inhabitants than Greater London.

Was that supposed to read "any CAPITAL city in Europe"?

Otherwise we are into St Davids, Ripon, etc.

--
Rod

Rod Speed January 4th 14 01:29 PM

Inflation rates

[...]

You made the two that I responded to with duh.

So, taking those two into account, you'd agree that post-independence
Scotland would form a new country, additional to the UK, and - however
they become members - their membership would take the EU to 29
member states, yes?

^ These two. So...?

Yes, both of those are true. But irrelevant to what is being
discussed, whether there is any problem for an independent
Scotland STAYING in the EU when it becomes independent.

or do you disagree with them?

waits

It's clearly already in the EU

Well spotted. Nobody's denying that Scotland, as a region of the
UK, is currently part of the EU and has been since the mid '70s.

But plenty are claiming with no basis what so ever
that Scotland would have to apply to be in the EU

TBF, everybody but Salmond is saying that.

That is not correct. The European Commission
has said nothing about it at all.

Remind you of Blackadder's Sea Captain?

No, because everyone that matters except Salmond isnt saying that.

and that since that has to be agreed unanimously, Spain would refuse.

Which isn't what Spain have said.

Indeed.

John Williamson January 4th 14 03:55 PM

Inflation rates

On 04/01/2014 00:33, djc wrote:
On 03/01/14 19:15, John Williamson wrote:

The City of London (Capital of the UK) has the *smallest* resident
population of any city in Europe, at less than 10,000, but even if
they're talking about Metropolitan areas, Paris has about 4 million more
inhabitants than Greater London.

Think it's stretching definitions to call the "City of London" the
capital considering that Parliament and major Goverment offices are in
the City of Westminster.

No more than calling Amsterdam the capital of the Netherlands when all
the offices are in Den Haag.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Adrian January 4th 14 09:33 PM

Inflation rates

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 00:29:38 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

So, taking those two into account, you'd agree that
post-independence Scotland would form a new country, additional to
the UK, and - however they become members - their membership would
take the EU to 29 member states, yes?

Yes, both of those are true.

OK, great.

But irrelevant to what is being discussed

Well, no, not really.

Fairly central to it. Because the "UK-Scotland" would be the direct
successor state to the UK, so retaining the UK's membership, whilst
Scotland would be a new state, seeking new membership.

whether there is any problem for an independent Scotland STAYING in the
EU when it becomes independent.

But it wouldn't be staying, since it wouldn't have previously existed.
You've just agreed Scotland'd be a new country, and that it'd be adding
to the EU's membership.

But plenty are claiming with no basis what so ever that Scotland would
have to apply to be in the EU

TBF, everybody but Salmond is saying that.

That is not correct. The European Commission has said nothing about it
at all.

As an entity and explicitly? No. But prominent officials dropping
unsubtle hints? Very much so - and not just recently. Barroso, in late
2012, was one of the first, and virtually all since have agreed.