Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a wireless room thermostat?

My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in 1987.
Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to variations.
This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the wireless
ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and manage the boiler
off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the rooms. Next year I
hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern time
clock running heating and HW separately.

Geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ostats/Y6630D/

BTW have you tried ****ting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the wireless
ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and manage the
boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the rooms. Next
year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern
time clock running heating and HW separately.

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ostats/Y6630D/

BTW have you tried ****ting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

--
Adam

I've had the thermostat bit off and operated the pin bit I suspect there is
too much gunk in the system. The downstairs is a single pipe system
installed probably 50 years ago (we have been here 27 years). It has been
pressure washed twice by Scottish Gas over eh last 15 years. So it is time
for a new system - next summer. Meanwhile....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the wireless
ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and manage the
boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the rooms. Next
year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern
time clock running heating and HW separately.

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ostats/Y6630D/

BTW have you tried ****ting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

--
Adam

Is there a time clock with the wireless bit built in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the
wireless ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and
manage the boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the
rooms. Next year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern
time clock running heating and HW separately.

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ostats/Y6630D/

BTW have you tried ****ting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

--
Adam

Is there a time clock with the wireless bit built in?

timeclock - meaning programmer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the
wireless ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and
manage the boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the
rooms. Next year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern
time clock running heating and HW separately.

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ostats/Y6630D/

BTW have you tried ****ting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

--
Adam

Is there a time clock with the wireless bit built in?

Not on the model I gave. I did not think you wanted or needed the time
function:-)

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...mostats/DT92E/

if you want a programable stat.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, they are called wireless programmers unsurprisingly.

The "off" periods aren't really off, they are just set to a low
temperature that the room would not normally reach except where there
is danger of pipes freeing elsewhere, typically 10 deg C.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:28:25 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the wireless
ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and manage the
boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the rooms. Next
year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern
time clock running heating and HW separately.

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ostats/Y6630D/

BTW have you tried ****ting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

--
Adam

Is there a time clock with the wireless bit built in?

Leave you existing time clock set for the CH permanently on, and HW
still on timer, then fit a wireless programmable thermostat like this:

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...Digital/CM927/

can set up to 6 different times/temperatures each day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry - I have been thinking in several directions - after my first post I
guessed there should be something like my existing timer/programmer which
included the thermostat function - apart from the quite high cost of the
Honeywell devices it was not obvious that the DT92E would do the ordinary
time function. More reading needed. I was thinking that it would fit to
the standard backing panel, making the wiring easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

That seems like a bodge - but a perfectly respectable solution and no more
of a bodge than wiring in a room thermostat (wireless or not). I'm also
looking to have my hot water and heating to be on at different times (it's
not a combi boiler) and your solution would do that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Geoff Pearson
writes

.. .
wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the
wireless
ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and manage the
boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the rooms.
Next
year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern
time clock running heating and HW separately.

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ermostats/Wire
less-Thermostats/Y6630D/

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ats/Wireless-D
igital/CM927/

can set up to 6 different times/temperatures each day.

That seems like a bodge - but a perfectly respectable solution and no
more of a bodge than wiring in a room thermostat (wireless or not). I'm
also looking to have my hot water and heating to be on at different
times (it's not a combi boiler) and your solution would do that too.

Not really, it's the normal way to do it with a retrofit

I guess there might be some combined programmable stats/and HW timers
around nowadays though

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed
in 1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much
to variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the
wireless ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and
manage the boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up
the rooms. Next year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a
modern time clock running heating and HW separately.

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...ostats/Wireles
s-Thermostats/Y6630D/

BTW have you tried ****ting the non working TRVs with a hammer?

Mine have only ever stuck in the *off* position. Scraping off the lime
scale, adding a bit of plumbing grease and gentle w...king with pliers
gets them going for a few more years.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
[...]

I'm in Scotland - we don't have limescale - we have soft water that gives us
heart disease. I have a Scottish Gas service contract and their men (and
women) have several times had a go at the stuck valves and got nowhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2013 15:08, Geoff Pearson wrote:
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

I am thinking of installing a room thermostat - using one of the
wireless ones so I can find the most typical spot in the house and
manage the boiler off that, with the TRVs being used to balance up the
rooms. Next year I hope to do some re-plumbing in the hot months.

Any objections to this? Any models to go for? I already have a modern
time clock running heating and HW separately.

First fix the TRVs as there is no point in heating all the radiators
unless you need them.

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:08:15 +0000, Geoff Pearson wrote:

My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987.
Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

On the advice of someone on here and having the same issues I bought some
of these,

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/570055

With your 14 rads it's a big outlay but they are frankly life changing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2013 16:21, chris French wrote:
In message , Geoff Pearson
writes

wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

We've had a CM927 for just over a year now, fitted when the new boiler
was installed. Very convenient, easily reprogrammed or adjusted, and the
additional functions such as the holiday setting are useful.

--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2013 15:08, Geoff Pearson wrote:
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

You could always throttle back some of these with the lockshield valve
(not on the single circuit of course)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:42:01 +0000, Graham. wrote:

The "off" periods aren't really off, they are just set to a low
temperature that the room would not normally reach except where there
is danger of pipes freeing elsewhere, typically 10 deg C.

Yep, when switching to a programmable stat from an ordinary one and
separate time switch there needs to be a shift of mind set. With a
programmable stat you have multiple set point temperatures available
based on periods of time rather than a single temperature during any
"on" period.

With a programable stat the heating is essentially "on" all the time
and the stat controls the boiler based on its set point at any given
time and the room temp. Program the stat to say 15 C between 2300 and
0600 and in a modern house that is the same as "off".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 14/12/2013 15:08, Geoff Pearson wrote:
My house has 14 radiators over 2 floors, each with a TRV, installed in
1987. Some no longer turn off and some don't seem to respond much to
variations. This often means we are too hot.

You could always throttle back some of these with the lockshield valve
(not on the single circuit of course)

All the radiators are bypassed - T-ed off the single pipe - so I can adjust
with the lockshield valve