Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default showers/tiling again!

The source of the long sought leak has been identified: minute cracks in
a section of grout!

Those with long memories may recall that this leak only occurred when
one of the daughters visited and used the shower. We established that
showering involved shaving the legs and usually emptied the header tank
leading to air lock issues.

On the last visit, under direct questioning, it was also learned that
she runs the pumped shower at full *throttle*! With the side panel
removed and a strong jet of water directed at an area of tiling showing
tiny cracks in the grout, water soon trickled out at the end of the
upstand.

The shower is part way to being reassembled with shower board replacing
the damaged area of tiling. Doing the whole job in shower board would be
a major upheaval so my plan is to re-grout areas where there is any
doubt.

However, the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

The other query is door seals. Googling gets 10^6 + 1 hits but so far,
not the narrow T section I need. Someone in here recommended a supplier
but I failed to take note at the time.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

For the grout, 4" angle grinder with thin diamond cutter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , harryagain
writes
However, the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

The other query is door seals. Googling gets 10^6 + 1 hits but so far, not
the narrow T section I need. Someone in here recommended a supplier but I
failed to take note at the time.
--
Tim Lamb

For the grout, 4" angle grinder with thin diamond cutter.

Seriously?

It sounds like a recipe for a bathroom filled with dust! I suppose I
could try my trusty 5" variable speed.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

Multitool and circular carbide or diamond blade?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , harryagain
writes

For the grout, 4" angle grinder with thin diamond cutter.

Seriously?

It sounds like a recipe for a bathroom filled with dust! I suppose I
could try my trusty 5" variable speed.

If you ever get the chance, buy one of these

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3...1&blockType=G1

or an equivalent, I believe Makita do one. I regard this as the best
tool for working with plywood, floorboards, plywood, mdf or waterproof
cement wall boards that I have ever owned. I used mine a few months ago
to cut back a foot square of plaster on a wall by 10mm. It is superb and
very, very controllable. It will do grout removal very easily and the
depth of cut is adjustable. It will do tile cutting if you are
desperate. It is also small enough to be manouverable.

Capitol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

Multitool and circular carbide or diamond blade?

I'll try tonight. I only have the semi-circular carbide impregnated
blade and failed to be impressed with the performance on plaster.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Capitol
writes

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , harryagain
writes

For the grout, 4" angle grinder with thin diamond cutter.

Seriously?

It sounds like a recipe for a bathroom filled with dust! I suppose I
could try my trusty 5" variable speed.

If you ever get the chance, buy one of these

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-3...82-circular-sa
w/p-00933166000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

or an equivalent, I believe Makita do one. I regard this as the
best tool for working with plywood, floorboards, plywood, mdf or
waterproof cement wall boards that I have ever owned. I used mine a few
months ago to cut back a foot square of plaster on a wall by 10mm. It
is superb and very, very controllable. It will do grout removal very
easily and the depth of cut is adjustable. It will do tile cutting if
you are desperate. It is also small enough to be manouverable.

Interesting.

A quick search kept finding Sears and dollar pricing.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Capitol
writes

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , harryagain
writes

[...]

Aldi had there own version of this a couple of weeks ago.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2013 17:04, Tim Lamb wrote:

However, the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

A carbide segment disc in a multitool will sort the grouting and without
depositing all of it into the air!

See about half way down the table he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ools#The_Tools

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/12/2013 17:04, Tim Lamb wrote:

However, the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

A carbide segment disc in a multitool will sort the grouting and
without depositing all of it into the air!

See about half way down the table he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ools#The_Tools

Yes. One came with my tool kit. Tried this morning. Does the job but
passing slow!

Multitool query. Does the tool head fully oscillate or wag from side to
side? If so, there is no point moving the disc on the locating pins.

The grandchildren are with us so further noisy activities temporarily
off the agenda:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 18:37, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/12/2013 17:04, Tim Lamb wrote:

However, the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

A carbide segment disc in a multitool will sort the grouting and
without depositing all of it into the air!

See about half way down the table he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ools#The_Tools

Yes. One came with my tool kit. Tried this morning. Does the job but
passing slow!

Yup on hard grout it won't be quick... but it does the job neatly enough
and with controlled mess. How much do you need to rake out?

Multitool query. Does the tool head fully oscillate or wag from side to
side? If so, there is no point moving the disc on the locating pins.

It rotates and counter rotates a couple of degrees or so generally. The
only real need to move it on the head is to position it for easy work or
to locate a fresh bit of blade.

The grandchildren are with us so further noisy activities temporarily
off the agenda:-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Multitool query. Does the tool head fully oscillate or wag from side to
side?

Press your finger on the blade while it's in use and find out :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 05/12/2013 18:37, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 04/12/2013 17:04, Tim Lamb wrote:

However, the existing grouting is rock hard and not susceptible to the
conventional grouting rakes I have. Is there another way? I have already
discounted the angle grinder idea:-)

A carbide segment disc in a multitool will sort the grouting and
without depositing all of it into the air!

See about half way down the table he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ools#The_Tools

Yes. One came with my tool kit. Tried this morning. Does the job but
passing slow!

Yup on hard grout it won't be quick... but it does the job neatly
enough and with controlled mess. How much do you need to rake out?

I'm hoping not more than a metre or so. It really needs checking with a
magnifying glass

Multitool query. Does the tool head fully oscillate or wag from side to
side? If so, there is no point moving the disc on the locating pins.

It rotates and counter rotates a couple of degrees or so generally. The
only real need to move it on the head is to position it for easy work
or to locate a fresh bit of blade.

Ah! Ta.

The grandchildren are with us so further noisy activities temporarily
off the agenda:-)

Going Saturday:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 22:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Worth mentioning, its not usually a good idea to grout "corners" or
other joins where tiles meet building. I always silicone those gaps.

--
Cheers,

John.

Advice on tiling and showers ? plz spender UK diy 3 December 2nd 10 06:08 PM
showers Gary[_11_] UK diy 1 October 30th 10 01:06 AM
showers dave UK diy 3 April 10th 05 07:16 AM
Showers and tiling John Kelly UK diy 3 January 9th 05 08:16 AM
showers and rcd peter t UK diy 8 December 28th 04 09:33 PM